Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RANT: About Ray-O-Vac batteries!

In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in
business that made a faulty product. So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock
in these companies)

bob_v
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default About Ray-O-Vac batteries!

I've heard from other people that Energizer quality are
better. Can't say, I havn't done any testing. However, I've
had some bad ROV battereis, AAA, from Real Deals Dollar
Store. But, 20 battteries for a buck, I can't complain too
loudly. They were probably long out of date.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV
batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still
be in
business that made a faulty product. So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2
weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't
own stock
in these companies)

bob_v

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.

Hint: stop buying that brand.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in
business that made a faulty product. So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock
in these companies)

For alkaline use, I get the Eveready Gold Alkalines. They last just about
almost as long as duracell or energizers, but for a fraction of the cost.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in
business that made a faulty product. So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock
in these companies)

bob_v

A lot of reviews laud the Radio Shack batteries because
they sell so many that the store stock is always fresh.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Bob Villa wrote:
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in
business that made a faulty product. So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock
in these companies)

bob_v

A lot of reviews laud the Radio Shack batteries because
they sell so many that the store stock is always fresh.

TDD

Interesting...Radio Shack batteries use to be the worlds worst
batteries...they had a free battery-a-month club and it wasn't even worth it
to use their batteries when they were free.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in
business that made a faulty product. So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock
in these companies)

bob_v

A lot of reviews laud the Radio Shack batteries because
they sell so many that the store stock is always fresh.

TDD

Interesting...Radio Shack batteries use to be the worlds worst
batteries...they had a free battery-a-month club and it wasn't even worth it
to use their batteries when they were free.

Dan

Anybody who is still using disposable batteries is insane. For the price of a
a few replacements, you can get a set of rechargeable that'll last years. I use
rechargeables in everything down to my universal remote controls. They've paid
for themselves many times over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

Anybody who is still using disposable batteries is insane. For the
price of a a few replacements, you can get a set of rechargeable
that'll last years. I use rechargeables in everything down to my
universal remote controls. They've paid for themselves many times
over.

Yup. I've been quite pleased with the Sanyo Eneloop batteries, I use them
in everything from flashlights to radios to clocks without a complaint.
I've yet to have one go bad (fail to take a charge) after a couple of years
of use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

I love rechargeable batteries, the only problem I have
with those wonderful things is the two legged dumb asses
who come along and throw them away. I worked at a place
years ago where the goofballs would toss the rechargeables
and put disposables into my recharger. Unfortunately,
the legal system in this country takes a dim view of
what I consider justifiable homicide.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

Bob Villa wrote:
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in
business that made a faulty product. So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock
in these companies)

For alkaline use, I get the Eveready Gold Alkalines. They last just
about almost as long as duracell or energizers, but for a fraction of
the cost.

Jon

I've had so many Duracells leak,I don't use them anymore.
I've had good luck with Fuji Novel and Ray-o-vac.
Everready are OK,but more expensive.
Harbor Freight alkalines leaked while still in the packaging.Avoid them
like they had plague.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

That was back in the seventies, and that was carbon cells.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dan Kuechle" wrote in message

Interesting...Radio Shack batteries use to be the worlds
worst
batteries...they had a free battery-a-month club and it
wasn't even worth it
to use their batteries when they were free.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

1) Flashlight left in the vehicle for a year or so, and
expected to work.
2) Devices taken on a camping trip with no charger nearby
3) FRS walkie talkies stored in the glovebox, and needed at
random moments

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

Anybody who is still using disposable batteries is insane.
For the price of a
a few replacements, you can get a set of rechargeable
that'll last years. I use
rechargeables in everything down to my universal remote
controls. They've paid
for themselves many times over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:31:37 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa wrote:

In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in
business that made a faulty product. So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock
in these companies)

ROV flashlights used to be even worse.

I havent bought anything ROV in at least 25 years.

They sell Fuji batteries priced very reasonably around here. I've had
no problems with 'em.

Willie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard from other people that Energizer quality are
better. Can't say, I havn't done any testing. However, I've
had some bad ROV battereis, AAA, from Real Deals Dollar
Store. But, 20 battteries for a buck, I can't complain too
loudly. They were probably long out of date.

Hi,
Physical dimension between Duracell and Energizer is wee bit different.
I had a thing only accept Duracell in it's battery compartment. That
was my garage door remote at my last house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

In certain applications, rechargeable won't cut it. Their charateristics
is different. I frequently use Lithium batteries. I have some
rechargeable too. It all depends. I am not insane. My universal
remote(Harmony) sits on it's own cradle with built-in rechargeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 7:09*pm, Willie The Wimp
wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:31:37 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa wrote:
In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they
would always fail prematurely for me.
Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in
business that made a faulty product. *So I would try again.
Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke
detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!

I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock
in these companies)

ROV flashlights used to be even worse.

I havent bought anything ROV in at least 25 years.

They sell Fuji batteries priced very reasonably around here. I've had
no problems with 'em.

* Willie

My wife still has her ROV flashlight she got when she was a brownie.
My daughter used it on her first GS camping trip, hopefully so will
her daughter. We are talking over 40 years here.I have one that is
nearly as old that I keep in my night stand.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

No argument there. I use disposables for the smoke alarms and
anything that doesn't get regular use (flashlight in the car was a
good example). Maybe 4% of the batteries in my household. Everything
that actually involves regular use gets rechargeables, including the
remote controls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in
each car glove box. I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:28:57 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in
each car glove box. I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.

Except in my car. That 5 D-cell maglight also can double as a weapon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are talking history here...when products where made with
quality...to last!
Many names HAVE had a great history: Zenith, Black and Decker,
Westinghouse, Sylvania...these today, are not the companies of the
past...they are ONLY names.

bob_v

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 10:32*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:28:57 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in
each car glove box. *I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.

Except in my car. *That 5 D-cell maglight also can double as a weapon.

I always though an odd number of batteries was a stupid idea (unless
it's one)?! I have the 4-cell Mag.

bob_v
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had good results with HF brand. I've seen some other
batteries leak in the pagkaging. I did buy some Infinity
Beyond, off ebay. AAA cells, and maybe 1 of 10 leaked, new
in the package.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

Harbor Freight alkalines leaked while still in the
packaging.Avoid them
like they had plague.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hear that. Rayovac rechargable NiMH cells rattle around,
in my mini mag.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Physical dimension between Duracell and Energizer is wee bit
different.
I had a thing only accept Duracell in it's battery
compartment. That
was my garage door remote at my last house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:32:48 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:28:57 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in
each car glove box. I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.

Except in my car. That 5 D-cell maglight also can double as a weapon.

A single-size lug wrench is lighter and faster, and it won't break
when ya split a skull.

AQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:38:11 -0500, Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:32:48 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:28:57 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in
each car glove box. I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.

Except in my car. That 5 D-cell maglight also can double as a weapon.

A single-size lug wrench is lighter and faster, and it won't break
when ya split a skull.

neither will the maglight

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/21/2009 10:38 AM (ET) Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama wrote the following:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:32:48 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:28:57 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in
each car glove box. I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.

Except in my car. That 5 D-cell maglight also can double as a weapon.

A single-size lug wrench is lighter and faster, and it won't break
when ya split a skull.

AQ

The 5 cell MagLite, being thick aluminum, will not break. That is why
they are the choice of police officers.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

The one item that I would use rechargeables in - my digital camera -
won't accept them. so I'm stuck with disposables. However I've found
the Energizer E2 to be excellent.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:32:48 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:28:57 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in
each car glove box. I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.

Except in my car. That 5 D-cell maglight also can double as a weapon.

A single-size lug wrench is lighter and faster, and it won't break
when ya split a skull.

AQ

A flashlight has plausible deniability, at least after dark. A lug
wrench, unless you are standing next to a jacked up flat tire, not so much.

(I was just walkin' home, officer, mindin' my own business. I was even
carrying a flashlight so people wouldn't run over me. This fellow just
came up from behind and grabbed me- I'm not really sure just what
happened then....)

Come to think of it, I haven't seen my 4-cell in awhile. Wonder where it
is? Maglights were a lot cooler when they were not mass-market. They
used to come in a cardboard box at the gun store, not a blister pack at
Sam's Club.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

you can get LED upgrades for the Maglights now;either 1 watt or 3 watt
Luxeon LEDs.

Then when you whack someone,the lamp doesn't fail. B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:28:57 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

All my flash lights are LED now. Coupe at cabin, condo, house and in
each car glove box. I always try to buy industrial grade batteries.

Except in my car. That 5 D-cell maglight also can double as a weapon.

A single-size lug wrench is lighter and faster, and it won't break
when ya split a skull.

AQ

The 5 cell MagLite, being thick aluminum, will not break. That is why
they are the choice of police officers.

Some departments have banned them from the worn belt for that reason-
looks and is perceived too much like a club. Scares and offends the
populace.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lowe's had a one day sale on the 3D LED Mags, and I bought
one for each vehicle. Very bright, and I havn't dropped it.
But, when I had my very first 4D mag, I did drop it, and the
filament bent. Threw a really strange light pattern after
that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

you can get LED upgrades for the Maglights now;either 1 watt
or 3 watt
Luxeon LEDs.

Then when you whack someone,the lamp doesn't fail. B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Flashlight scares people, but the semi automatic pistol with
high capacity magazine is just fine? I find that astounding.

I was chatting with an old man, in the hallway of my church,
a couple weeks ago. He mentioned my pocket full of pens. I
replied that not all are pens, one's a thermostat screw
driver, and one's a utility knife. As I pulled it out, I saw
his eyes grow wide. He probably doesn't even own a knife for
the kitchen.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

The 5 cell MagLite, being thick aluminum, will not break.
That is why
they are the choice of police officers.

Some departments have banned them from the worn belt for
that reason-
looks and is perceived too much like a club. Scares and
offends the
populace.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Lowe's had a one day sale on the 3D LED Mags, and I bought
one for each vehicle. Very bright, and I havn't dropped it.
But, when I had my very first 4D mag, I did drop it, and the
filament bent. Threw a really strange light pattern after
that.

The "Task Force" 3W LED flashlight kicks a Mag-Lite's ass anyway, unless
you're talking about bulk and weight. I have both a 3-D Mag-Light and a
2-C Task Force and the TF is way brighter and has a more even beam pattern.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Flashlight scares people, but the semi automatic pistol with
high capacity magazine is just fine? I find that astounding.

I was chatting with an old man, in the hallway of my church,
a couple weeks ago. He mentioned my pocket full of pens. I
replied that not all are pens, one's a thermostat screw
driver, and one's a utility knife. As I pulled it out, I saw
his eyes grow wide. He probably doesn't even own a knife for
the kitchen.

Okay, scares and offends the underemployed inner-city preachers who are
the self-appointed spokesmen for the populace? The underclass isn't too
afraid that the cops are going to shoot them- they know there is
publicity and paperwork attached to that. They are (justly, in some
cities, sad to say), afraid of random beatings in dark corners and
behind closed doors. Not as bad as 30-40 years ago, but it still goes
on, and most have heard their parents talk about it. Most inner-city
cops do not carry batons any more either, especially the high-tech ones.
A shame, really, because with good training, they are very effective
less-than-lethal weapons. Tasers seem to have replaced them in the tool kit.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RANT - Task force flash lights

http://www.opentip.com/Tools-Auto-In...p-1032237.html
This one also says it takes three cells. Is this close to
what you got?

This source shows it only ten bucks for the light. 150
lumens is very bright.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

The "Task Force" 3W LED flashlight kicks a Mag-Lite's ass
anyway, unless
you're talking about bulk and weight. I have both a 3-D
Mag-Light and a
2-C Task Force and the TF is way brighter and has a more
even beam pattern.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default RANT: About LED flashlights

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...LAID=130034330
This was the closest I could find, online. It's 3C, not 2C.
This ad says it's combination Xenon (filament high
intensity) and LED. I would expect a Xenon bulb to blow away
a LED.

Where did you get yours? What did it cost?

I looked at a couple ads for Maglite LED, and they didn't
list lumens output. Also checked Maglite web site, but could
not find the lumens listed, either.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

The "Task Force" 3W LED flashlight kicks a Mag-Lite's ass
anyway, unless
you're talking about bulk and weight. I have both a 3-D
Mag-Light and a
2-C Task Force and the TF is way brighter and has a more
even beam pattern.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.opentip.com/Tools-Auto-In...p-1032237.html
This one also says it takes three cells. Is this close to
what you got?

This source shows it only ten bucks for the light. 150
lumens is very bright.

This is the one that I have

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ATT&lpage=none

and it's very bright. I haven't seen the one you mention (yet) because
I don't have a Lowe's nearby, but it might be better yet, who knows.
Only downside that I have found with the one that I have is that it
rattles (batteries fit loosely, end cap switch rattles) but that is only
annoying because I use it as a bicycle headlight occasionally. Hey,
it's way cheaper than the stuff you buy at a bike store and brighter too.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Lowe's had a one day sale on the 3D LED Mags, and I bought
one for each vehicle. Very bright, and I havn't dropped it.
But, when I had my very first 4D mag, I did drop it, and the
filament bent. Threw a really strange light pattern after
that.

The "Task Force" 3W LED flashlight kicks a Mag-Lite's ass anyway,
unless you're talking about bulk and weight. I have both a 3-D
Mag-Light and a 2-C Task Force and the TF is way brighter and has a
more even beam pattern.

I used to be a cop. Mag-Light advertised their 5-cell flashlights at trade
shows with the comment" "If you ever have to use it as an offensive or
defensive weapon, it will not break." Whereupon the salesman used his light
to demolish a wooden pallet.

I carried one for about six years. During that time I had several
opportunities to use it in circumstances for which it was not actually
intended (this was before Tasers and even before effective pepper-sprays).
There are many goblins who interacted with my flashlight that can attest to
its effectiveness.

Today, with Tasers in common use, the term "light 'em up" has taken on a new
meaning. Especially if the gomer has been heavily into inhalants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 08:54:25 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled "Stormin Mormon" ,
to say:

This ad says it's combination Xenon (filament high
intensity) and LED. I would expect a Xenon bulb to blow away
a LED.

I have headlights from the planet Xenon, and the owner's manual
specifically warns against messing with them yourself. High
voltage and pressure is mentioned. I was losing a light, and the
dealer said it might be due to a faulty bulb, igniter, or control
module.

With all of that in mind, one must wonder how one gets all of
that into a flashlight.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

B&Q (OT rant) John UK diy 30 May 15th 07 11:38 PM
OT rant [email protected] UK diy 0 December 10th 06 01:03 PM
B&Q rant ABC UK diy 8 July 6th 06 03:43 AM
OT Rant Sam S. Home Repair 2 October 31st 05 05:37 AM
ON TOPIC (RANT) MidAmerican Extrusions (RANT) Pedro Metalworking 4 April 25th 05 11:02 PM