Posted to uk.d-i-y
ABC ABC is offline

Default B&Q rant

Visited my local B&Q store yesrerday to purchase some Ronseal fence stain in
Maintain Blue. On the shelves, they had all the other colours except the
colour that I wanted. Thinking that they had sold out I started to walk
away, but stopped at the shelves above (out of reach of customers but access
by B&Q staff with a ladder) and looked. Lo and behold, a shelf full of
Mountain Blue fence stain. But, across the shelf was a sign "Do Not Touch -
Stocktaking". Managed to speak to a manager, who said "We can not sell you
the item Sir, as we are stocktaking at the moment and the company who is
doing the stocktake forbade us in selling those items".

Hello, aren't B&Q in the business of selling diy goods to customers? They
have paid a firm of stocktakers to do a stocktake, but the firm has told B&Q
not to sell any item which has been counted. Funny, I thought if you pay a
firm for a service, it is on your terms. It is not their job to order shop
not to sell any items.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "ABC" contains these words:

Funny, I thought if you pay a firm for a service, it is on your terms.

I think you'll find it's on mutually agreed terms - in their case
they're declining to agree terms because it would be inconvenient for
them. That's life - shop elsewhere.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ABC wrote:
[...]

I would've gone and got myself a pair of stepladders and 'tested them
out' in that aisle. Sure, if a member of staff was around they *might*
object but given their staff always seem to be hiding away somewhere I
think you would've been fine.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's life - shop elsewhere.

Or get up there and fetch some down whilst no-one's looking (which,
considering how thin on the ground their staff are, isn't difficult).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
oups.com...

I would've gone and got myself a pair of stepladders and 'tested them
out' in that aisle. Sure, if a member of staff was around they *might*
object but given their staff always seem to be hiding away somewhere I
think you would've been fine.

Mathew

Wouldn't this produce a "loss" in the stocktake totals? And perhaps a
"profit" in sales?
B&Q would then need a loss adjuster etc. to get it sorted...
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ABC" wrote in message
Visited my local B&Q store yesrerday ...

That is where you went wrong.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ABC
writes
[...]

So they pay a stocktaking company a shedload (ha ha) of money to tell
them what they have on the shelves, which they have to do in real time

You come along with a fiver in your sweaty paw to sabotage this

Do you really think that you are more important to them than their stock
take

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Jul 2006 06:58:13 -0700, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

ABC wrote:
[...]

Like the chain/tubing cutters - staff only... the checkout staff
didn't know you cut it. ;-)

Mark S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , ABC
writes

Visited my local B&Q store... across the shelf was a sign "Do Not Touch -
Stocktaking". Managed to speak to a manager, who said "We can not sell you
the item Sir, as we are stocktaking at the moment and the company who is
doing the stocktake forbade us in selling those items".

So they pay a stocktaking company a shedload (ha ha) of money to tell
them what they have on the shelves, which they have to do in real time

You come along with a fiver in your sweaty paw to sabotage this

Do you really think that you are more important to them than their stock take

Sounds like a crossed wire. He should have asked the manager as the
stocktaking usually takes place after hours and the staff would have
been told not to touch such and such a shelf when the store was closed.

I find the rest of it unlikely. But there again they do open long hours
these days. Most large firms have their stock checked at night or on a
day the shop is closed which for KwickSave used to be Sunday.

So the lads would replenish the shelves Saturday last thing as the
store closed, then the checkers would come in all Saturday night and
Sunday.