Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default B&Q rant

ABC wrote:
Visited my local B&Q store yesrerday to purchase some Ronseal fence stain in
Maintain Blue. On the shelves, they had all the other colours except the
colour that I wanted. Thinking that they had sold out I started to walk
away, but stopped at the shelves above (out of reach of customers but access
by B&Q staff with a ladder) and looked. Lo and behold, a shelf full of
Mountain Blue fence stain. But, across the shelf was a sign "Do Not Touch -
Stocktaking". Managed to speak to a manager, who said "We can not sell you
the item Sir, as we are stocktaking at the moment and the company who is
doing the stocktake forbade us in selling those items".

Hello, aren't B&Q in the business of selling diy goods to customers? They
have paid a firm of stocktakers to do a stocktake, but the firm has told B&Q
not to sell any item which has been counted. Funny, I thought if you pay a
firm for a service, it is on your terms. It is not their job to order shop
not to sell any items.

I would've gone and got myself a pair of stepladders and 'tested them
out' in that aisle. Sure, if a member of staff was around they *might*
object but given their staff always seem to be hiding away somewhere I
think you would've been fine.

Mathew