Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is my TV digital?

Hello all....not sure where to ask this question but I know there are
alot of knowledgible people in this group so here goes.

I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (#27AF44) I bought in 2004, it has a
real good picture,. I'm trying to figure out if this televison is
digital or not? I've done some research but still not sure.
I know it has a 3-line digital comb filter, but not sure that makes it a
digital tv?

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?
I would call best buy but figure they won't know or I would get
run-around, they probably don't carry this model anymore.
TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?

If you use cable or satellite, then you will be fine; their set-top-boxes do
the convesion already. If you use an antenna to capture over-the-air
signals, then and only then do you need to obtain a converter.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...al-280732-.htm :
Chris wrote:

Hello all....not sure where to ask this question but I know there are
alot of knowledgible people in this group so here goes.

I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (#27AF44) I bought in 2004, it
has a
real good picture,. I'm trying to figure out if this televison is
digital or not? I've done some research but still not sure.
I know it has a 3-line digital comb filter, but not sure that makes it
digital tv?

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?
I would call best buy but figure they won't know or I would get
run-around, they probably don't carry this model anymore.
TIA.

No, it is an analog TV. It needs to have a digital decoder to be a
"digital TV"
If there was one in this model, the manufacturer would not forget to
emphasize that, I'm sure.

If you are a cable TV subscriber, you can forget about 2009 deadline. It
is up to the cable TV company. If they decide to go all digital (like
Verizon FIOS TV) they will either force you to rent the decoder box for
$5/month or maybe (just maybe) give you one for free so you stay with
them. Others plan on keeping supporting analog TVs. I believe, Comcast is
one of those. The 2009 deadline only applies to the free air TV.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

[...]

Define "free." I say force the FCC commissioners to PERSONALLY pay for
every analog TV to be replaced!

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:

Chris wrote:

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?

If you use cable or satellite, then you will be fine; their set-top-boxes do
the convesion already. If you use an antenna to capture over-the-air
signals, then and only then do you need to obtain a converter.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Don't forget other TVs you may have on antennas, such as in an RV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:
Hello all....not sure where to ask this question but I know there are
alot of knowledgible people in this group so here goes.

I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (#27AF44) I bought in 2004, it has a
real good picture,. I'm trying to figure out if this televison is
digital or not? I've done some research but still not sure.
I know it has a 3-line digital comb filter, but not sure that makes it a
digital tv?

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?
I would call best buy but figure they won't know or I would get
run-around, they probably don't carry this model anymore.
TIA.

What does the owner's manual say?

If you don't have the manual, you can download it at:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...p?model=27af44

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...al-280740-.htm
:
Mike Dobony wrote:

The 2009 deadline only applies to the free air TV.

Define "free." I say force the FCC commissioners to
PERSONALLY pay for
every analog TV to be replaced!

Didn't mean to start a fight. I simply meant "freely propagating through
the air" as opposed to "channeled to your home through a cable of some
kind for which you have to pay"

As for why the switch, get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq2

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the input everyone....Yeah, thats what I thought it might be
non-digital.
and yes I'm using the free deal with the rabbit ears....I get enough
channels that way and prefer to keep it free....the local cable co (cox)
just wants too much.
Anyway...here's the website for the converter box...
DTV Answers : DTV Converter Box Details
Address:http://www.dtvanswers.com/dtv_converterbox.html
So if I go with their deal it should only cost me like $20 after coupon
to keep my Toshiba up and running in the year 2009. But on the bright
side they claim you will get more channels with better quality picture.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

Actually, there are vouchers available for $40 to pay for a converter. There
are, or will be, converters available for that price.

Well, close.

There are a limited number of $40 set top converter box coupons
available at http://www.dtv2009.gov two per person limit, and the boxes
are expected to be available around March for $50-$70 each. You sign up
for the coupons now, and they will be mailed once the boxes are
available at retailers. The coupons have to be used in 90 days as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone....Yeah, thats what I thought it might be
non-digital.
and yes I'm using the free deal with the rabbit ears....I get enough
channels that way and prefer to keep it free....the local cable co (cox)
just wants too much.
Anyway...here's the website for the converter box...
DTV Answers : DTV Converter Box Details
Address:http://www.dtvanswers.com/dtv_converterbox.html
So if I go with their deal it should only cost me like $20 after coupon
to keep my Toshiba up and running in the year 2009. But on the bright
side they claim you will get more channels with better quality picture.
Thanks!

Well, you'll probably get a better picture, but I'm not so sure about
more channels. According to the mapper on antennaweb.org I can get like
a dozen analog stations now with a suitable antenna, but only two are
DTV. It's similar at my mothers house where analog reception is greater
than DTV, at least according to current maps. I'll see once I get my
converter boxes and start testing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Pete C. wrote:

Well, you'll probably get a better picture, but I'm not so sure about
more channels. According to the mapper on antennaweb.org I can get like
a dozen analog stations now with a suitable antenna, but only two are
DTV. It's similar at my mothers house where analog reception is greater
than DTV, at least according to current maps. I'll see once I get my
converter boxes and start testing.

The antennaweb.org site is rather conservative as to which stations can
be received. I'm between two cities using a directional rooftop antenna
for one city's analog stations. I found that I could receive all that
city's digital stations and a few from the town in the opposite
direction. During some stormy weather last week I couldn't get a few
stations -- I don't know if the signal doesn't travel as far in bad
weather or whether the digital transmitter was down or running at
reduced power.

As for more stations, several of the "big" stations have one or more
subchannels -- check the station's website.

You can apply for converter coupons at https://www.dtv2009.gov/. Some
retailers have announced that they'll have the boxes available for $40.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Is my antenna amp. digital?

On Jan 10, 6:36*pm, (Chris) wrote:
Hello all....not sure where to ask this question but I know there are
alot of knowledgible people in this group so here goes.

I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (#27AF44) I bought in 2004, it has a
real good picture,. I'm trying to figure out if this televison is
digital or not? I've done some research but still not sure.
I know it has a 3-line digital comb filter, but not sure that makes it a
digital tv?

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?
I would call best buy but figure they won't know or I would get
run-around, they probably don't carry this model anymore.
TIA.

OK, here's a related question. I'm using an outside antenna for
through-the-air reception. I have a line amplifier just before input
to the TV. Will the amp work with digital signals?

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

Theantennaweb.org site is rather conservative as to which stations can
be received. *I'm between two cities using a directional rooftop antenna
for one city's analog stations. *I found that I could receive all that
city's digital stations and a few from the town in the opposite
direction. *During some stormy weather last week I couldn't get a few
stations -- I don't know if the signal doesn't travel as far in bad
weather or whether the digital transmitter was down or running at
reduced power.

As for more stations, several of the "big" stations have one or more
subchannels -- check the station's website.

An alternative site that provides more detailed information for the
technically inclined is www.tvfool.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, here's a related question. I'm using an outside antenna for
through-the-air reception. I have a line amplifier just before input
to the TV. Will the amp work with digital signals?

Antennas and amps that worked for analog will also work for digital. They
simply take in and amplify whatever RF energy comes their way (within their
respective designed frequency range).

The tuner is what ultimately determines whether or not you can make use of
that RF energy. This might include analog TV (NTSC), digital TV (ATSC), FM
radio, HD FM radio, and anything else that happens to be broadcast within
those frequency ranges.

If you're using an inline amp, it's usually best to put is as close to the
antenna as possible. That way, the gain of the amp can make up for any
cable loss, splitters, tuner noise figure, etc. If you put the amp just
before the TV, then you've already suffered some signal degradation from the
cable run and splitters that came before the amp.

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:40*pm, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:
Chris wrote:
[...]

*http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...?model=27af44- Hide quoted text -

It doesn't matter what the owner's manual says. A 27" TV which is
just a flat screen TV, purchased in 2004, almost certainly did not
have a digital tuner built-in. Beyond that, it doesn't matter. The
converter boxes that are being sold will convert digital ATSC
broadcasts and output signals that any older TV with NTSC tuner can
receive. It's similar to hooking up a VCR, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:34:03 -0800, Bob wrote:

The antennaweb.org site is rather conservative as to which stations can
be received.

Ha! Thats an understatement. Antennaweb says I get 0 dtv stations.
Fooling around with its inputs, it says I need at least a 500 ft tower
to get any.

In reality, I get every dtv station from 3 urban areas with just a
rooftop antenna.

Bottom line: If you get any analog stations with any kind of good
signal strength, you'll be able to get dtv stations. And let me tell
you, the difference in picture quality is astounding.

-dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just for the record...I called the DTV # today (1-888-DTV-2009)
and it only took about 2 minutes to sign up. They inform me it should be
in mid February I will receive my converter coupon as soon as the stores
have them in stock.
So that was a easy transaction. Easy because you don't have to give
hardly any info...they already knew who I was, my name, my
address,...everything...I just had to confirm by pushing 1.
So if you want to go digital on your tv just call the number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:42:26 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

Don't forget that one DTV channel can have up to 4 subchannels.
Ignoring that gives you an inaccurate count.

Here, I can get 3 DTV channels, each of which has a subchannel, for a
total of 6.

It's similar at my mothers house where analog reception is greater
than DTV, at least according to current maps. I'll see once I get my
converter boxes and start testing.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:39:01 GMT, dicko
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:34:03 -0800, Bob wrote:

The antennaweb.org site is rather conservative as to which stations can
be received.

Ha! Thats an understatement. Antennaweb says I get 0 dtv stations.
Fooling around with its inputs, it says I need at least a 500 ft tower
to get any.

In reality, I get every dtv station from 3 urban areas with just a
rooftop antenna.

Bottom line: If you get any analog stations with any kind of good
signal strength, you'll be able to get dtv stations. And let me tell
you, the difference in picture quality is astounding.

-dickm

With a little indoor antenna, I get 3 analog channels (only 1 good
enough to watch). That same antenna gets 3 (6 including subchannels)
digital channels.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:12:32 -0600, Mike Dobony
wrote:

[snip]

Define "free." I say force the FCC commissioners to PERSONALLY pay for
every analog TV to be replaced!

OK.

[snip]

BTW, you might notice that no TV can be 100% digital and still be
watchable. The LIGHT coming from the screen and SOUND coming from the
speakers need to be analog, since that's the only thing people's
vision and hearing can make sense of.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are many digital circuits on most electronic equipment.

High Definition is one of those digital circuits.

Your 2004 TV is not HDTV capable. The antenna amp is fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
There are many digital circuits on most electronic equipment.

High Definition is one of those digital circuits.

Actually, High Def has nothing to do with whether the cktry is digital
or not. A set can have ALL digital components in it but still only be
capable of managing analog TV signals. It's the TV signal that becomes
digital for HDTV, so the set requires a tuner which is capable of
receiving and handling digital signals. And it will of course, use
digital components; it'd be a bear to design an analog digital TV signal
receiverG.

Your 2004 TV is not HDTV capable. The antenna amp is fine.

Well, it's definitely unlikely, that's for sure. As someone mentioned
though, the converter boxes to convert digital signals to analog signals
will shortly be plentiful and at reasonable prices.
Currently used antenna systems etc., should all work fine for
digital signals as they are all in the same UHF bands as used today with
only a few remaining in the VHF band. So if you currently can receive
UHF you'll be fine for digital TV signals. I mention this only because
I'm starting already to see some ads hyping special antenna systems for
the "new" HDTV switch; those are ripoffs for the most part. I've also
seen converter boxes already hyped for as much as $299; a clear ripoff.

Just for clarification, DTV and HDTV are technically two different
animals too. If you have HDTV then you have a DTV but if you have a DTV
it will receive HDTV signals but might not display in the expected wide
screen formats and not with high definition. However, a DTV can still
at least receive the digital signal formats as a rule.

Usually if an older set is really HDTV capable, it will have two
separate antenna input jacks which connect to two separate tuners, one
analog, the other DTV. If a set does not have a digital signal tuner,
then it can not receive HDTV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:59:55 GMT, "Twayne"

There are many digital circuits on most electronic equipment.

High Definition is one of those digital circuits.

Actually, High Def has nothing to do with whether the cktry is digital
or not. A set can have ALL digital components in it but still only be
capable of managing analog TV signals. It's the TV signal that becomes
digital for HDTV, so the set requires a tuner which is capable of
receiving and handling digital signals. And it will of course, use
digital components; it'd be a bear to design an analog digital TV signal
receiverG.

So a tuner that can handle a HD broadcast signal isn't digital?
That's news to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 11, 5:24*am, "Chuck" wrote:

If you're using an inline amp, it's usually best to put is as close to the
antenna as possible. *That way, the gain of the amp can make up for any
cable loss, splitters, tuner noise figure, etc. *If you put the amp just
before the TV, then you've already suffered some signal degradation from the
cable run and splitters that came before the amp.

Actually, I'm using the inline amp for "lightning protection". Sort
of a sacrificial item, hoping that any surge via the antenna will take
out the amp before it gets into the tv. I know that's a crap shoot,
but amps are a lot cheaper than tv's.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:

The 2009 deadline only applies to the free air TV.

Define "free." I say force the FCC commissioners to
PERSONALLY pay for
every analog TV to be replaced!

Didn't mean to start a fight. I simply meant "freely propagating through
the air" as opposed to "channeled to your home through a cable of some
kind for which you have to pay"

As for why the switch, get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq2

Typical artificial government nonsense. Why not open up the other bands
to such uses. It also wreaks havoc with all kinds of existing radio
equipment, such as w/l microphones. Force all kinds of consumer to buy
new equipment even though the old stuff was still in good working
condition (thousands of $ to replace some of it) because some idiots who
are too stupid to work at McDonalds want to control us. Government is
best which governs least.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
On Jan 11, 5:24 am, "Chuck" wrote:

If you're using an inline amp, it's usually best to put is as close to the
antenna as possible. That way, the gain of the amp can make up for any
cable loss, splitters, tuner noise figure, etc. If you put the amp just
before the TV, then you've already suffered some signal degradation from the
cable run and splitters that came before the amp.

Actually, I'm using the inline amp for "lightning protection". Sort
of a sacrificial item, hoping that any surge via the antenna will take
out the amp before it gets into the tv. I know that's a crap shoot,
but amps are a lot cheaper than tv's.

Red

Hi,
What makes you think the amp will protect your TV set? That's false
security. If lightning strikes your antenna(tower), TV will be toast.
If and when there is risk for strike disconnect antenna coax and unplug
power cord. Electron moves at the speed of light, remember? Ideally
antenna structure has to have a good grounding for safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 10:11*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:59:55 GMT, "Twayne"

There are many digital circuits on most electronic equipment.

High Definition is one of those digital circuits.

Actually, High Def has nothing to do with whether the cktry is digital
or not. A set can have ALL digital components in it but still only be
capable of managing analog TV signals. *It's the TV signal that becomes
digital for HDTV, so the set requires a tuner which is capable of
receiving and handling digital signals. *And it will of course, use
digital components; it'd be a bear to design an analog digital TV signal
receiverG.

So a tuner that can handle a HD broadcast signal isn't digital?
That's news to me.

What he's saying is that TV's for decades have had some digital
components, like the digital comb filter in the OP's 2004 27" set,
which almost certainly does not have an ATSC tuner, which is what the
real issue is. Even the ATSC tuners have some analog components as
well.

The OP is confused in thinking that for the ATSC converter boxs to
work, his TV needs to be "digital". It does not. The converters are
designed to take ATSC and offer various outputs, including RF NTSC
which you can hook up to any old NTSC TV, just like hooking up a VCR.
Bottom line, his TV almost certainly doesn't have a built-in ATSC
tuner and the converter boxes will work with it to receive std def
ATSC that is replacing NTSC OTA, but the TV will not be capable of HD
resolutions unless the specs say it's HDTV ready.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:59:55 GMT, "Twayne"
wrote:

[snip]

Usually if an older set is really HDTV capable, it will have two
separate antenna input jacks

I wish my DTV TV set had separate RF jacks. I'd like to use both cable
(no digital yet) and antenna.

which connect to two separate tuners, one
analog, the other DTV. If a set does not have a digital signal tuner,
then it can not receive HDTV.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 03:28:52 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 11, 10:11*pm, wrote:
[...]

Almost certainly requiring 2 remote controls (TV & converter), making
watching TV more complicated. This problem could be avoided if TVs
could have their power interrupted (switched outlet on converter)
without forgetting any settings. Few TVs are like that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:02:18 -0600, (Chris)
wrote:

Just for the record...I called the DTV # today (1-888-DTV-2009)
and it only took about 2 minutes to sign up. They inform me it should be
in mid February I will receive my converter coupon as soon as the stores
have them in stock.
So that was a easy transaction. Easy because you don't have to give
hardly any info...they already knew who I was, my name, my
address,...everything...I just had to confirm by pushing 1.
So if you want to go digital on your tv just call the number.

Isn't that limited to people who have NO TV source other than antenna?

Here is a quote from the official web site:
https://www.dtv2009.gov/

..... but supplies are limited. There are 22.25 million coupons available
to all U.S. households. Once those coupons have been used, there are an
additional 11.25 million coupons available only to households that
solely receive their TV broadcasts over-the-air using an antenna.
Households with TVs connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV
service are not eligible for this second batch of coupons. Consumers can
apply for coupons until March 31, 2009, or until the funds are exhausted.

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 11, 10:05*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Red wrote:
On Jan 11, 5:24 am, "Chuck" wrote:

[...]

I didn't say a strike, I said a surge.
I've lost 3 tv's at a different location from lightning surges
(nearby but not direct strike) coming into the tuner section via
CATV. It didn't toast the whole tv, just the tuner sections.
I've not lost this tv with the amp even during severe storms with
static electricity dancing within the house.
I admitted nothing was sure, but past experience seems to be on my
side.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 12, 10:01*am, Kevin Ricks wrote:

Isn't that limited to people who have NO TV source other than antenna?

Here is a quote from the official web site:https://www.dtv2009.gov/

.... but supplies are limited. There are 22.25 million coupons available
to all U.S. households. Once those coupons have been used, there are an
additional 11.25 million coupons available only to households that
solely receive their TV broadcasts over-the-air using an antenna.
Households with TVs connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV
service are not eligible for this second batch of coupons. Consumers can
apply for coupons until March 31, 2009, or until the funds are exhausted.

Apparently no one is concerned that the analog VCR's are going to be
obsolete also. As I understand it, they will no longer be able to be
programmed for multiple OTA channels, but limited to the single
channel that the converter box is set to. Correct??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:36:35 -0600, (Chris)
wrote:

Hello all....not sure where to ask this question but I know there are
alot of knowledgible people in this group so here goes.

I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (#27AF44) I bought in 2004, it has a
real good picture,. I'm trying to figure out if this televison is
digital or not? I've done some research but still not sure.
I know it has a 3-line digital comb filter, but not sure that makes it a
digital tv?

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?
I would call best buy but figure they won't know or I would get
run-around, they probably don't carry this model anymore.
TIA.

To answer your question, I highly doubt a 2003 or 2004 model has a
digital tuner. If you use an antenna, you will need to buy one of
those add-on boxes. Dont waste your time with Best Buy. All they
know is how to take your money. I quit doing business with that place
years ago, at least as far as electronics. I might buy some blank CDs
or VHS tapes or a cable from them if the price is right, but thats
about all.

As far as this whole change to digital, this whole topic ****es me off
to no end. It goes something like this. The cellphone companies have
run out of air space. They knew that the current TV channels are
their only place to expand. It seems that no one really knows how
much they paid the government to steal our tv airwaves, but I'm sure
it was a sizable amount. The govt. is claiming that they need this
air space for emergency communications, but dont be fooled by their
lies. It's all going to be used for cellphones, so that these cell
companies can make sure that every child under the age of 18 has one
to text each other and cause disruptions in schools. Of course these
cell companies are getting filthy rich from all these kids using their
useless "toys".

Then, one wonders how much the cable and satellite tv companies paid
the gov't to bribe them to make this change. I'm sure they will
benefit in a big way as soon as people can no longer get reception
from their antenna.

The whole thing is a conspiracy, and while the gov't is offering
coupons valued at $40 toward these convertors, the consumer will still
have to pay at least $50 more, unless the prices drop on them. I'd
not be happy if the gov't paid ALL of the cost for these convertors,
because I will still not be able to use my 12volt (and "D" battery
powered) portable tv when I go camping, and I will have to have yet
another remote control to locate at home, and TWO of them will be
required to control the tv.

On top of that, those with numerous tv's in the home will have to buy
one convertor for EACH tv, and you may be paying the FULL price for
each one of them, because the gov't only allows 2 coupons per home.

In addition to this, those who live in rural areas and are already in
fringe areas for reception, (like myself), may find the convertors
will not work at all, and we will no longer have tv. I will mention
that I do not have cable tv as an option either, since it ooes not
exist out here in farm country. Satellite would be my only option at
around $100 per month. I may end up being only able to get the news
on my dialup internet connection, because there will not be any other
connection to the world.

They commercials which they keep airing for DTV.gov claim that digital
tv is so superior, blah blah blah. What they're really doing is
brainwashing us so that we just accept their bull**** without
complaining or protest. The present air waves have been in use since
the beginning of television, and they always worked fine. Now the
gov't is going to steal them from us so that private companies can
profit from them. This is one of the biggest scams of the 21st
century, yet few people are protesting.

If you're as angry as I am about this whole thing, dont just idley sit
on your couch potato ass, and do nothing. We have about one year to
stop this theft of our air waves, or many of us will lose our tv
signals. We need to organize and protest, and do so now. Begin by
going to DTV.gov, and using the "comments/questions" option, where you
can email them. DO email them, and tell them exactly how you feel in
no uncertain terms. I did this a few months ago. I received a reply
email and was just repeated more of the same bull**** lies on their
site. I'm now writing them an actual hard copy letter, and will be
trying to encourage EVERYONE to protest. I'd like to ask everyone to
do the same. It only takes a few minutes of time to email them, and
write them, or phone them, and express your dissatisfaction. Our air
waves are being STOLEN from us. Don't just sit there and let them get
away with it. We've already seen them start a war in our names, under
false pretences, rob our wallets with inflated gas prices, and cause
much more disruption in our country. If we dont start fighting back,
we will soon not even recognize America as it was originally designed,
and we will have less rights than most foreign countries.

You might think that the theft of our tv airwaves is minor compared to
the war, and to gas prices, etc., and in many ways it is. But it's
just another step in losing our rights. What will be next? Will they
start charging us to breathe? That might sound funny, but don't laugh
too long, it might be next.

PROTEST DTV.GOV NOW !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:29:27 -0600, (Chris)
wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone....Yeah, thats what I thought it might be
non-digital.
and yes I'm using the free deal with the rabbit ears....I get enough
channels that way and prefer to keep it free....the local cable co (cox)
just wants too much.
Anyway...here's the website for the converter box...
DTV Answers : DTV Converter Box Details
Address:
http://www.dtvanswers.com/dtv_converterbox.html
So if I go with their deal it should only cost me like $20 after coupon
to keep my Toshiba up and running in the year 2009. But on the bright
side they claim you will get more channels with better quality picture.
Thanks!

Looks like they did a good job of brainwashing YOU !!!!

And just where are you seeing these boxes for $60?
The least price I have seen thus far are selling for around $100.

An when you are at DTV.gov be sure to use the part entitled "locate a
local store to purchase the converter" (not necessarily those exact
words). When you get there, there are ZERO places listed for any part
of the country. Just shows how little they know or care.....

According to the mapper on antennaweb.org I will not get ANY digital
stations. I currently get 3 analog stations fairly well, (two local,
plus PBS) and 2 more that are poor quality at best, sometimes do not
come in at all. My closest tv station is 55 miles away.

PROTEST DTV.gov NOW !!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Red wrote:

Apparently no one is concerned that the analog VCR's are going to be
obsolete also. As I understand it, they will no longer be able to be
programmed for multiple OTA channels, but limited to the single
channel that the converter box is set to. Correct??

Red is correct here. However, converter boxes may be available with
timers that change the channel at a predetermined time, as some cable
and satellite set-top boxes do. You can get a new VCR (or VCR/DVD
combo) with a built-in ATSC tuner, but those won't be eligible for the
$40 coupon discount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:34:03 -0800, Bob wrote:

The antennaweb.org site is rather conservative as to which stations can
be received.

Ha! Thats an understatement. Antennaweb says I get 0 dtv stations.
Fooling around with its inputs, it says I need at least a 500 ft tower
to get any.

In reality, I get every dtv station from 3 urban areas with just a
rooftop antenna.

Bottom line: If you get any analog stations with any kind of good
signal strength, you'll be able to get dtv stations. And let me tell
you, the difference in picture quality is astounding.

And let me guess, you have HDTV, right?
Picture quality will be no different at all on a conventional tv.
I'm perfectly satisfied with analog tv on my conventional set.
I dont own a tv to have a theater in my home. I got it to watch the
news, weather reports, sports, and some movies and sitcoms at times.
It used to be an investment of $200 to buy a tv that would last for 10
years with any luck. (That works out to $20 a year). I have no
intention of spending thousands of dollars for a tv. I dont need a
perfect picture, big screen, LCD screen, stereo surround sound, and
all that crap. I dont live to own a theater, my house dont have room
for all that junk. I just like to flip on the tv when I am relaxing
and for $20 a year, it pays for itself everytime I watch a football
game or get the latest news and weather. Even if the reception is not
perfect, as long as I can see the screen and hear the sound, it's good
enough for me.

The present state of analog television is far superior to tv in the
1950's, and I watched much back in those days too. It's just this
young generation we have now who can not accept anything which is
imperfect. The'll put themselves in debt for years just to get the
perfect tv theater, then they'll have to work two or more jobs to pay
for the damn thing, while it sits in their oversized bloated home
doing nothing, and by the time it's paid for, it will be obsolete.

Us old timers have learned that there's nothing perfect in this world,
and we can enjoy what we have without complaining. At least we get to
enjoy our lives rather than spending them working in order to pay off
debts.

PROTEST DTV.gov NOW !!!

-dickm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-dickm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:34:09 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:47:38 -0800 (PST), Red wrote:

[...]

Yes, this is correct. You will have to set the convertor to the
channel you want to record, and can only record that channel, until
you reset the programming or change the convertor channel.

VCR's? Are you worried about your 8-track player and phonograph, too? Time
marches on. At some point you have to make at least a minimal effort to keep up,
or expect to be left behind.

No one really cares about your attitude. If you want to "keep up"
feel free to do so, some of us like things the way they were, and for
clearity, I still do enjoy my vinyl records. If anyone ends up being
left behind, it's people with your attitude, because one of these days
you'll be old and will realize that your whole life was wasted trying
to keep up with the Joneses.

BOYCOTT DTV.gov NOW !!!!!

Digital out from a CD player with no digital out? [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 October 2nd 07 07:53 PM
On Digital box mikehh Electronics Repair 1 February 8th 07 07:07 PM
When is a digital/analogue phone not a digital/anaalogue phone? [email protected] UK diy 6 February 3rd 06 10:07 AM
Bit OT - digital TV 4square UK diy 8 February 22nd 05 08:34 AM
Getting into Digital circuits Chris W Electronics 5 February 16th 05 04:04 AM