Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Is my antenna amp. digital?

Red wrote:
On Jan 11, 5:24 am, "Chuck" wrote:

If you're using an inline amp, it's usually best to put is as close to the
antenna as possible. That way, the gain of the amp can make up for any
cable loss, splitters, tuner noise figure, etc. If you put the amp just
before the TV, then you've already suffered some signal degradation from the
cable run and splitters that came before the amp.

Actually, I'm using the inline amp for "lightning protection". Sort
of a sacrificial item, hoping that any surge via the antenna will take
out the amp before it gets into the tv. I know that's a crap shoot,
but amps are a lot cheaper than tv's.

Red

Hi,
What makes you think the amp will protect your TV set? That's false
security. If lightning strikes your antenna(tower), TV will be toast.
If and when there is risk for strike disconnect antenna coax and unplug
power cord. Electron moves at the speed of light, remember? Ideally
antenna structure has to have a good grounding for safety.