Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_8_] Chuck[_8_] is offline

Default Is my antenna amp. digital?

OK, here's a related question. I'm using an outside antenna for
through-the-air reception. I have a line amplifier just before input
to the TV. Will the amp work with digital signals?

Antennas and amps that worked for analog will also work for digital. They
simply take in and amplify whatever RF energy comes their way (within their
respective designed frequency range).

The tuner is what ultimately determines whether or not you can make use of
that RF energy. This might include analog TV (NTSC), digital TV (ATSC), FM
radio, HD FM radio, and anything else that happens to be broadcast within
those frequency ranges.

If you're using an inline amp, it's usually best to put is as close to the
antenna as possible. That way, the gain of the amp can make up for any
cable loss, splitters, tuner noise figure, etc. If you put the amp just
before the TV, then you've already suffered some signal degradation from the
cable run and splitters that came before the amp.

Chuck