Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Is my TV digital?

Pete C. wrote:

Well, you'll probably get a better picture, but I'm not so sure about
more channels. According to the mapper on antennaweb.org I can get like
a dozen analog stations now with a suitable antenna, but only two are
DTV. It's similar at my mothers house where analog reception is greater
than DTV, at least according to current maps. I'll see once I get my
converter boxes and start testing.

The antennaweb.org site is rather conservative as to which stations can
be received. I'm between two cities using a directional rooftop antenna
for one city's analog stations. I found that I could receive all that
city's digital stations and a few from the town in the opposite
direction. During some stormy weather last week I couldn't get a few
stations -- I don't know if the signal doesn't travel as far in bad
weather or whether the digital transmitter was down or running at
reduced power.

As for more stations, several of the "big" stations have one or more
subchannels -- check the station's website.

You can apply for converter coupons at https://www.dtv2009.gov/. Some
retailers have announced that they'll have the boxes available for $40.