Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Is my TV digital?

wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:12:32 -0600, Mike Dobony
wrote:

DA wrote:
DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...al-280732-.htm :
Chris wrote:

Hello all....not sure where to ask this question but I know there are
alot of knowledgible people in this group so here goes.

I have a 27" Toshiba flat screen (#27AF44) I bought in 2004, it
has a
real good picture,. I'm trying to figure out if this televison is
digital or not? I've done some research but still not sure.
I know it has a 3-line digital comb filter, but not sure that makes it
digital tv?

As we know...in 2009 all tv's must be digital to function with new
digital signal in 09. I have the website to order a digital converter
box but want to make sure if this Toshiba is digital ready or....it's
not?
I would call best buy but figure they won't know or I would get
run-around, they probably don't carry this model anymore.
TIA.

No, it is an analog TV. It needs to have a digital decoder to be a
"digital TV"
If there was one in this model, the manufacturer would not forget to
emphasize that, I'm sure.

If you are a cable TV subscriber, you can forget about 2009 deadline. It
is up to the cable TV company. If they decide to go all digital (like
Verizon FIOS TV) they will either force you to rent the decoder box for
$5/month or maybe (just maybe) give you one for free so you stay with
them. Others plan on keeping supporting analog TVs. I believe, Comcast is
one of those. The 2009 deadline only applies to the free air TV.

Define "free." I say force the FCC commissioners to PERSONALLY pay for
every analog TV to be replaced!

Actually, there are vouchers available for $40 to pay for a converter. There
are, or will be, converters available for that price.

Well, close.

There are a limited number of $40 set top converter box coupons
available at http://www.dtv2009.gov two per person limit, and the boxes
are expected to be available around March for $50-$70 each. You sign up
for the coupons now, and they will be mailed once the boxes are
available at retailers. The coupons have to be used in 90 days as well.