Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE

wrote in message
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

You have to be selective. Much of what they sell is garbage, but their
nitrile glove are okay, as are many other items.

Or are you just trying to start a flame war between HF lovers and haters?
Put me down as neutral.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

You have to be selective. Much of what they sell is garbage, but their
nitrile glove are okay, as are many other items.

Or are you just trying to start a flame war between HF lovers and haters?
Put me down as neutral.

Ditto. You have to use your head. Some items, you learn by experience one
way or the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, what the other two said. You have to have a brain. Even Walmart has
some junk in their store.

steve

wrote in message
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a few of the air tools, (drill, 3/8 ratchet and a die grinder) So far
its been almost 4 years and they still work great. The ratchet gets used
heavily because I actually use it at work, yes its a loud screamer, but it
works! I don't like the cut off wheels, they get eaten up too fast and the
welding wire, thats just plain dirty!
I have the air hoses and fittings and I buy my consumables such as sand
paper and dust masks. All in all a wise choice if you use your head, spend
9.95 for that air ratchet and expect 10 bucks worth of use out of it any
more and thats a PLUS!

SD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 8:31 pm, wrote:
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

As others have said, you need to be selective. I just bought a tile
saw on clearance for $15.00 because it was cheaper then renting and
there was no way I was going to pay $150.00 and up for the small job I
needed it for. I have also bought pneumatic tools, drill bits, tie-
downs, nail guns, etc because the jobs and the frequency I use them
for do not warrant the expense of contractor grade tools. Would I buy
a cordless drill, a table saw, a compound miter saw from them? No. I
use them too frequently and/or I need quality results. Would they be
OK for people that need them for a small job and/or won't use them
frequently? Sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For pros, the quality of HF products may be questionable. For amateurs, it
is a godsend. For the price of renting a lot of tools, I now have a shop
full of reasonably good working tools at my fingertips. Could not have
afforded American made tools at those prices, for my occasional use.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
wrote in message
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
wrote in message
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money
in the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

You have to be selective. Much of what they sell is garbage, but
their nitrile glove are okay, as are many other items.

Or are you just trying to start a flame war between HF lovers and
haters? Put me down as neutral.

Exactly!

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

*Even* Walmart?

FWIW if you cruise through Harbor Freight but look for "real" brand
names, you generally will be OK.

nate

wrote in message

Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, what was your experience?

I've bought at least a few tools from them. The only ones that
were useless were the Pittsburgh flare nut wrenches.

I've had good results with their tree saw, impact socket set,
plug in 116.833333 volt impact wrench, breaker bars, ball point
press (over glorified c-clamp) and at least a few other tools.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
: Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing
money in
: the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got a couple of their 12 volt Drill master cordless drills.
Fairly slow, 500 RPM max. But they have served me well for a few
years. I use them for remove and replace screws. Not fast enough
to start sheet metal screws for HVAC, but plenty good for
installing locks.

They also drill, but slowly.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Eric9822" wrote in message
ups.com...
Would I buy
: a cordless drill, a table saw, a compound miter saw from them?
No. I
: use them too frequently and/or I need quality results. Would
they be
: OK for people that need them for a small job and/or won't use
them
: frequently? Sure.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 8:20 pm, Stan wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:12:27 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

And from what I've read in this NG some people get things that last for
years.

You are right there... It all depends on what you buy from them. I
would never buy a Chicago Brand table saw from them but I regularly
buy tool bits and drill bits from them, tie-downs, air hoses, flash
lights, sanding & grinding disks, certain hand tools...... stuff like
that and have never been disappointed plus saved a bunch.

Regards,

Ditto that. I have been stung once but it was only a few dollars.
Have bought other things no problem. Latest is a 'stretchy' towing
strap for $6.99 that I have been using for two years snaking logs out
of the bush with my F150. It has brought the PU to a full stop
several times. I figure it will break one of these times but the
current listing doesn't have it anymore.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

So, tell me. Is it tough being a genius?

Craftsman sells garbage, too.

Snap On sells garbage, too.

Every tool manufacturer has items that are garbage.

The secret every smart man knows is how to tell the difference between the
good tools and the garbage.

But you, being the genius you are, knew that.

Right?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools.

*Of course* they do. That's why we go! If you don't need "top quality" tool
(I bought a rubber mallet there -- how much can you expect from it? It's
still going (c: ), they're a great deal!

FBt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

wrote in message
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money
in the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

So, tell me. Is it tough being a genius?

Craftsman sells garbage, too.

Snap On sells garbage, too.

Every tool manufacturer has items that are garbage.

The secret every smart man knows is how to tell the difference between
the good tools and the garbage.

But you, being the genius you are, knew that.

Right?

Steve

Geniuses come in many flavors ya know:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4zong2g

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Latest is a 'stretchy' towing
strap for $6.99 that I have been using for two years snaking logs out
of the bush with my F150. It has brought the PU to a full stop
several times. I figure it will break one of these times ......

be careful when it does,

you can get very hurt

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 1:31 am, wrote:
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

Blanket condemnation like that doesn't make sense.
The answer is probably 'yes'. Some of it might be junky.
But when you (we) buy 'anything' we must use our knowledge and
judgment of what it will be used for, how often, how heavily and how
much we are willing to pay.
For example:
We have an commercial 230 volt electric drill purchased in 1953. Works
fine, electric cord still good, the Jacobs chuck is strong etc. Built
a couple of houses with it but otherwise its received fairly light
use. But it cost, even back then a weeks salary.
Recently my son gave me a dandy little lightweight electric
screwdriver (about 10 bucks) for taking screws out of radios. Light
usage I'd guess and if it lasts five years will be satisfied.
So you gotta know what you are buying; and talking about!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 2:17 pm, terry wrote:
On Aug 1, 1:31 am, wrote:

[...]

I agree with Walter. I'm sure a lot of what they sell isn't well
suited to heavy use by tradesmen. However, for the price, if they
have what you need for light occasional use, they are a great
source. If you're expecting top notch goods for a low end price,
then I think you have unreasonable expectations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:26:58 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

So, tell me. Is it tough being a genius?

Craftsman sells garbage, too.

Snap On sells garbage, too.

Every tool manufacturer has items that are garbage.

The secret every smart man knows is how to tell the difference between the
good tools and the garbage.

But you, being the genius you are, knew that.

Right?

Steve

If the business thrives and even expands it must be doing a lot of
things right, like selling stuff people will pay good money for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE *with a lifetime guarantee..!

Not sure if the OP knows this but HF tools come with a lifetime
guarantee. Of course electric and common sense items are not included in
that. But things like sockets and wrenches etc. See store for fine
print..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forgot to add. I like HF and no I don't work there, but I do spend way
too much time shopping there..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:26:58 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

So, tell me. Is it tough being a genius?

Craftsman sells garbage, too.

Snap On sells garbage, too.

Every tool manufacturer has items that are garbage.

The secret every smart man knows is how to tell the difference between the
good tools and the garbage.

But you, being the genius you are, knew that.

Right?

Steve

If the business thrives and even expands it must be doing a lot of
things right, like selling stuff people will pay good money for.

I buy stuff at HF. Stuff that I will either use lightly, or stuff that is
lower in price, and of comparable quality as other goods. Some of their
stuff shines in its performance, others not. The trick is to be smarter
than the tools, and know what you're doing, and whether you need a $40
chisel when a $5 HF one will do as well for this one job.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 23:12:38 -0600, "SteveB" wrote:

Not only you need to be smart in selecting which items to buy and not to buy.
You must also know when to buy. If you are on their mailing list, you will get
further discount when you use their flyer, I believe 10 or 20% on any items on
their shelves.

I buy stuff at HF. Stuff that I will either use lightly, or stuff that is
lower in price, and of comparable quality as other goods. Some of their
stuff shines in its performance, others not. The trick is to be smarter
than the tools, and know what you're doing, and whether you need a $40
chisel when a $5 HF one will do as well for this one job.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I needed to put in a bamboo floor (T&G) and I checked what a rental
for a pneumatic nailer would be. $50/day and I knew it would take me
3-4 days to do the job (yeah, I'm slow, but I'm fussy.) I went to HF,
bought the nailer on sale for $125 - (including nails!) it worked
flawlessly and I still have the tool in the garage if I ever need to
do a repair on the floor. If I had rented, I would've had to use a
well-used nailer and I would've had to buy proprietary nails from the
rental joint (not available anywhere else) for triple the cost of what
HF sold me mine for. Sure, HF sells some junk - and often you get what
you pay for - but their "cheap" tools have got me through many jams I
could not have otherwise afforded to resolve. Some hand tools I buy
from MAC - but even they break! (I have also returned both Craftsman
and Snap on sockets and wrenches that I have broken) but in general
they are also worth what I paid for them. It's not just a matter of
the tools being cheap, it's a matter of using the tool properly and
maybe cheap tools are a little less forgiving in that respect.

I also bought a fold-up utility trailer (made in China) which has been
TERRIFIC (and fun to put together too.) I don't expect it to be super
heavy duty and I am careful with it - but for less than $300, what do
you expect? It serves the purpose and folds up and rolls into my
garage neatly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

I needed to take out a tile floor. I went and bought a $25 air chisel.
It worked great for the job, and is still working great. I better watch
it, though, as I know it's lurking there waiting to do "a lot of damage."

Steve

Sure, they work sometimes but saws that don't cut straight, wrenches that
round off nuts, screwdrivers that damage screwheads are very common with
cheap tools. Not just HF, but all cheap tools. Your money, so you can take
the chance if you like.

At Christmas I got a Bosch jigsaw. Tried it to make one cut and promptly
got rid of my Black & Decker.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your family will be a lot safer if you wrap that air chisel in a
black cloth. So that it can't see all the neat stuff around it
that is just begging to be air chiselled. Don't rope it up too
tight, you'll cut off its circulation.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"SteveB" wrote in message
:
:
: I needed to take out a tile floor. I went and bought a $25 air
chisel. It
: worked great for the job, and is still working great. I better
watch it,
: though, as I know it's lurking there waiting to do "a lot of
damage."
:
:
: Steve
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Dad used to say that cheap tools are dangerous, cause you have
to force em to work, and that's the time you get hurt.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
:
:
: Sure, they work sometimes but saws that don't cut straight,
wrenches that
: round off nuts, screwdrivers that damage screwheads are very
common with
: cheap tools. Not just HF, but all cheap tools. Your money, so
you can take
: the chance if you like.
:
: At Christmas I got a Bosch jigsaw. Tried it to make one cut
and promptly
: got rid of my Black & Decker.
: --
: Ed
: http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 8:31 pm, wrote:
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

I purchased their 1 1/2 Cu Foot cement mixer and have out 200 bags
plus of Quikrete cement, no problems yet, except for a small bolt
comingout that Inever tightened .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 10:49 pm, "Toller" wrote:
wrote in message

HarborFreightsells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

You have to be selective. Much of what they sell is garbage, but their
nitrile glove are okay, as are many other items.

Or are you just trying to start a flame war between HF lovers and haters?
Put me down as neutral.

I have been buying from Harbor Freight for over 25 years. Most of
their stuff is good,some is not. I bought regular and heavy duty
wrenches from them and 1/4-1/2-3/4-1" sockets and never had a
problem. I bought power tools of every kind and was always satisfied.
You have to look at what your buying of course. Thier tools are all
lifetime warenteed and you don't even have to send them back, just
call them.. I buy from the store and also out of cataloge. Some
people bitch if they are fed with a golden spoon.. I have large semi
trucks I work on with the tools. I also use thier impact wrenches
1/4-1/2-3/4-1'' all are still working great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 10:31 pm, wrote:
Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE tools. Unless you enjoy tossing money in
the garbage, DO NOT buy from them.

Anyone who buys tools will know what they are buying, you have to be
picky and not generalize. I bought a sheet metal brake that I use to
make electronic chassis (I like to build tube powered guitar amps) it
works great I regularly use it to make boxes out of 1/8 inch aluminum
stock and similar steel stock.

I bought their resistor assortment a few weeks ago:

I've used them in amps recently, they are as good of quality as
anywhere.

I have their electric spot welder, again for making chassis, it's the
first one I've ever used that did not destroy aluminum and still be
adequate for steel spot welds.

I also set up one of their security cameras outside my home, pointing
at the back yard so I can see the dogs, etc. It has been running non-
stop for about 4 years through 4 Chicago winters, that says a lot, I
modulated the signal to one of my unused cable TV channels.

Would I buy a cheap ass set of Chinese screwdrivers or sockets
anywhere, no, because I know better than that. Would I but a painting
scaffold from them? probably not, Would I buy a case of paint rollers?
probably yes.

I did buy a cheap pocket multi-meter from them for $3.50, that did
stop working, but I never expected to get a B&K or Fluke quality in a
$3.50 digital multi meter, and I may have blown it myself testing a
circuit with the range setting wrong.

Their rolling project carts are a great value and as good as
Rubbermaid or other steel ones, I use them in the shop to keep
separate in-progress projects organized, all parts on each cart for
that project. I like to restore old guitar amps, so sometimes I'll
have 3 of them on carts in various states of dis-assembly, or 3
separate speaker cabinet projects.

I think you got burned and you're just venting, because in reality
everybodys shop contains some crappy tools, and yes we all use them.
If your shop has no crappy tools I would probably question that. We
all cant live in a "Norm Abrams" fantasy world where every tool in the
shop is received gratis and of top quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

With so much stuff being made in China and India these days, The Harbor
Freight situation is kind of like the Family Dollar situation. You can buy
name brand athletic shoes for $100.00 at a sporting goods store, or you can
buy a nearly identical shoe made in the same factory by the same people at
Family Dollar for $10.00. You just aren't paying for the name. Most of the
tool companies who used to make quality tools are having their stuff made in
China now, so the impact wrench that you get with a "Pittsburgh Tools"
sticker on it at HF is the same as the Rockwell or Ingersoll one that costs
3 times more. I own a machine shop so I HATE that everything is going
overseas, but at least Harbor Freight is selling the imported stuff at a
reasonable price without trying to portray it as high quality by selling it
under a well known brand name.

"RickH" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 31, 10:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought a spiral saw from HF after seeing the roto zip commercial and
seeing that it cost $70 or so.. Sure the HF may not be as trim and
nice looking but it works fine. I dont use it everyday but I have
it. I also bought a $19.99 recip. saw. It works okay but definitely
is not as nice as a genuine sawzall. For craftsmen who use a tool
daily it's worth paying more. But for homeowners, HF allows us to
have a wider variety of tools without breaking the bank.

On Aug 10, 6:04 am, "Keith Stelter" wrote:
With so much stuff being made in China and India these days, The Harbor
Freight situation is kind of like the Family Dollar situation. You can buy
name brand athletic shoes for $100.00 at a sporting goods store, or you can
buy a nearly identical shoe made in the same factory by the same people at
Family Dollar for $10.00. You just aren't paying for the name. Most of the
tool companies who used to make quality tools are having their stuff made in
China now, so the impact wrench that you get with a "Pittsburgh Tools"
sticker on it at HF is the same as the Rockwell or Ingersoll one that costs
3 times more. I own a machine shop so I HATE that everything is going
overseas, but at least Harbor Freight is selling the imported stuff at a
reasonable price without trying to portray it as high quality by selling it
under a well known brand name.

"RickH" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 31, 10:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

shop is received gratis and of top quality.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Keith Stelter" wrote in message
. ..
With so much stuff being made in China and India these days, The Harbor
Freight situation is kind of like the Family Dollar situation. You can buy
name brand athletic shoes for $100.00 at a sporting goods store, or you
can buy a nearly identical shoe made in the same factory by the same
people at Family Dollar for $10.00. You just aren't paying for the name.

Most of the tool companies who used to make quality tools are having their
stuff made in China now, so the impact wrench that you get with a
"Pittsburgh Tools" sticker on it at HF is the same as the Rockwell or
Ingersoll one that costs 3 times more. I own a machine shop so I HATE that
everything is going overseas, but at least Harbor Freight is selling the
imported stuff at a reasonable price without trying to portray it as high
quality by selling it under a well known brand name.

There is some truth to what you are saying, the name brand is greatly
overpriced but often the cheap stuff is cheaply made. Same with some, but
not all of the tools. China is capable of making some good quality, equal
to what the US has made, but they also make junk. You have to be diligent.

Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight tmurf.1 Home Repair 30 May 26th 06 07:31 PM
Harbor Freight does it again... Pete C. Metalworking 58 January 11th 06 04:36 AM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM