Jimmy

Default Harbor Freight DC

I've read about some of you owning a Harbor Freight dc. How loud is it? Are
bags for less than 30 microns available? I've been looking at the 2hp model
( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ).
I see they also offer a 1hp model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1674 ).
More expensive, is there a big difference?

Thanks in advance.

Toller

"Jimmy" wrote in message
I've read about some of you owning a Harbor Freight dc. How loud is it?
Are bags for less than 30 microns available? I've been looking at the 2hp
model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ).
I see they also offer a 1hp model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1674 ).
More expensive, is there a big difference?

Yeah, on the expensive one they admit it is only 6a; on the cheap one they
"claim" it is 14a. You pay for honesty.

Odds are the 2hp is twice as powerful as the 1hp; even if they really are
1hp and 1/2hp. Only reason I can imagine to buy the expensive one is if you
absolutely have to run it on the same circuit as another tool; you are less
likely to overload it with 6a than with "14a".

Michael Campbell

"Jimmy" writes:

I've read about some of you owning a Harbor Freight dc. How loud is
it? Are bags for less than 30 microns available? I've been looking
at the 2hp model (
). I see they also offer a 1hp model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1674
). More expensive, is there a big difference?

Lots of 30u bags available; any 20" bag will work. Penn, Grizzly,
Woodworkers Supply, ... You can even get a 0u bag (plastic) that is
airtight. I put one of those on the bottom, and replaced the 30u with
a 0.1u (I think) on top from Woodworker's Supply
(http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=904-819)

--
You can't trade cash for skill. Sadly, I have neither.
arw01

The 2 HP pulls between 11 and 12 amps at idle. You can get it up a bit
by playing with how long the hoses are and blast gates, but that is
about the range. Makes it an honest 1.5 hp.

It's loud enough in a 15x22 garage I turn it off, buy you can have a
normal conversation and be heard over the top if it.

I also upgraded mine instantly with a Wynn cartridge.

Dave Hall

There once was a nice thread on "WoodNet" about the HF DC. It has
apparently died. I googled it but it would not come up so I clicked on
google's Cache button and got the basics, including info on bags, etc.
I tried copying it below but it isn't real nice so I suggest going to
google and searching on Harbor Freight Dust Collector Woodnet, then
pulling up the cache to get some good info on this DC.

Dave Hall

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:47:15 GMT, "Jimmy"
wrote:

I've read about some of you owning a Harbor Freight dc. How loud is it? Are
bags for less than 30 microns available? I've been looking at the 2hp model
( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ).
I see they also offer a 1hp model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1674 ).
More expensive, is there a big difference?

Thanks in advance.

The Harbor Freight Central Machinery Dust Collector Thread on WoodNet

by Cian Perez

Total Units Sold = 166 (1437 posts)

This webpage is for the benefit of the online community at WoodNet.
The following chart shows the purchasing activity of the WoodNet forum
thread for the Harbor Freight Central Machinery 2hp Dust Collector
(Harbor Freight model no. 45378). This thread first started on July
10, 2002, and ended on March 3, 2003, with over 1400 posts!

An Owner was recorded when there was evidence that the user actually
made the purchase. Sometimes, individuals had indicated that they
ordered the machine just minutes earlier. Other times, purchasers
would first post when they actually received the machine. In any case,
I simply recorded the sale on the page number where the post can be
found of the individual admitting evidence to having bought one of
these machines in either of the above (or similar) scenarios. If you
are a member of the WoodNet community, and you see that your user ID
is missing and you actually did make the purchase, please email me and
point out to me the page and thread where I may have missed your
comments. Likewise, any corrections should be forwarded to me as well.
The chart shows the number of units sold, on what thread page the
purchase occurred, and who purchased them. If it was made available, I
also listed some specifications of how the unit was put in service
(i.e. 4" duct, 1 micron bags, etc.). I have been collecting purchase
activity externally on other threads or through email as well. Any
known purchases outside of this thread are noted in italics. For
example, for a short while, purchases were being publicized in a
Grizzly DC thread that was going on concurrently.

Central Machinery DC FAQs

Central Machinery Dust Collector Trivia

Thread Started: July 10, 2002, 2:27pm
Thread Founder and first recorded HF 2hp DC Owner: Chris72IL
Shortest Wait: 11 Days (Rob J: Ordered 2/8/03. Received 2/19/03.)
Longest Wait: 91 Days (Rob H: Ordered 10/30/02. Received 1/30/03.)
Motors blown: 1
Number of people who opted to purchase two units: 2
First WoodNet thread page without a recorded purchase: 13
Batting 1000: rbl2 (post #1000); David Gillie (reply #1000)
First Conversion into a Cat Collector: rbl2
Last Thread Purchaser: kaveman
Last Post: March 3, 2003, 10:44am by rbl2
Owner Approved Accessories / Bags

American Fabric Filter Co. Custom 1 Micron H-Style Upper Bag
Central Machinery Dust Collector Accessory Kit (Item 47911)
Grizzly 0.3 Micron Bags
Highland Hardware Shaker Felt Bags
HouseOfTools.com 1 Micron Bag (various sizes)
HouseOfTools.com 4 mil Clear Poly Lower Bags
Penn State Industries 1 Micron Bag Set (model BC2-1V)
Wireless Long Ranger Switch
Wireless Shop Fox Switch
Woodworker's Supply 0.1 Micron Bag (model 904-819)
Woodworker's Supply 4 Mil Clear Bottom Bag
Resources

Wynn Canister Conversion!!!
Wynn Canister Conversion Part II
Harbor Freight Order Status Webpage
DuaneD's dust collector assembly pics; also has pics of HF DC
accessory kit.
Cian's dust collector assembly pics
OSHA on wood dust hazards
Bill Pentz's Cyclone Website - Although Bill's site is primarily
focused on cyclones, it's a great area to suck up a lot of info on
dust collection and air quality in general.
The Board

* Page numbers align to WoodNet forum viewing settings of 10 posts per
page.

UNIT PAGE* DATE OWNER COMMENTS
1 1 7.10.02 Chris72IL
2 1 7.11.02 Arborhead 0.1 micron upper bag from Woodworker's Supply
3 2 7.11.02 Peter121
4 3 9.4..02 LuigiBasco
5 3 9.5.02 Woodsmack
6 3 9.5.02 AZeddie
7 4 9.5.02 ToddM
8 4 9.8.02 Spitfirepete
9 5 9.10.02 Cellardweller
10 5 9.19.02 Eazyduzzit
11 5 9.20.02 DougWilkison
12 5 9.19.02 Bradn
13 6 9.19.02 dru Blew motor - returned to HF for full refund / 1
micron top bag / 4" PVC ducting
14 6 Grainraiser
15 6 Azeddie's friend
16 6 Clamp Man
17 7 9.20.02 Kmac
18 7 Neal Johnson
19 7 Retired2400
20 7 Picklepork
21 7 SPJRR Oversize AFF 1 micron upper bag / poly trash bag bottom
22 8 9.26.02 Dave99
23 8 benny52
24 8 Wheel
25 8 TK'sDust
26 9 10.8.02 strick
27 9 10.8.02 jdeardor
28 9 Bbirch
29 9 Roger109
30 9 paulrl
31 9 Bradn
32 9 ModelRRMan
33 10 10.22.02 Michael Prisbylla
34 10 SlickyBoy
35 10 McApple
36 11 10.23.02 vacasteve
37 12 10.28.02 rbl2
38 12 TDKPE
39 12 Moses Grizzly 0.3 Micron Bags
40 12 msargeaunt
41 14 10.29.02 Riverr1
42 14 TommyD
43 14 shawnharper 1 micron 20" x 64" upper bag from HouseOfTools.com
/ 4 mil poly lower bag
44 16 10.31.02 DUD
45 16 BubbaDog56
46 16 bxline
47 17 11.4.02 dc112678
48 18 11.8.02 antonio's friend
49 19 11.26.02 kthoennes
50 19 Timbeck2
51 19 jaz
52 20 11.28.02 Reckless_2350
53 20 aquabub
54 21 11.29.02 eelis2
55 21 swfurn
56 21 Rob H cyclone trash can separator / "This thing is GREAT..."
57 21 Wheel Second unit purchased
58 23 12.1.02 MMcMahon
59 24 12.13.02 rethier
60 24 jrhardie
61 25 12.15.02 k9s
62 25 fscottfishing
63 25 Reefbone
64 26 12.16.02
BigMike Penn State 1 Micron Bags
65 27 12.19.02 Jasontking
66 27 dwalser
67 27 sconya
68 27 RussM
69 28 12.20.02 bassnut
70 29 12.31.02 bpatters69
71 29 Stuart H
72 29 jkleb
73 30 1.2.03 jabernathy
74 30 1.2.03 David Gillie 4" duct throughout / cyclone trash can
separator
75 31 1.2.03 Highlander
76 31 1.2.03 Cian Penn State 1 Micron Bags / "Passes the Soiled Pant
Leg Test!"
77 34 1.3.03 highlandergym Grizzly 0.3 Micron Bags (on order)
78 34 1.3.03 dmanick
79 1.5.03 magpies
80 1.5.03 Cutbuff 20" x 48" upper bag from Lee Valley / 4 mil clear
plastic bottom bag from Woodworker's Supply / "I can have two gates
open, TS + Router or Planer and it's capable of clearing both
machines."
81 1.5.03 joeprinter
82 1.6.03 CC
83 38 1.6.03 tedp
84 38 1.6.03 tedp's 1st friend
85 38 1.6.03 tedp's 2nd friend
86 38 Big Johnson Installed chromed acorn nuts on caster bolts.
Claims he realized improved performance with these "aerodynamic"
bolts.
87 38 QuiggyB
88 Pancho
89 39 1.7.03 TomSligar
90 39 1.7.03 geebake 4" PVC / Grizzly 0.3 Micron Bags (on order) / "It
works great!"
91 41 1.7.03 Brandt
92 42 1.8.03 btodoroff
93 42 richtes
94 43 1.8.03
rosow/mn
95 43 Steely_Bob
96 43 wpmealey
97 44 1.8.03 cbag1
98 45 1.8.03 planbbob
99 45 Ritch H
100 46 1.8.03 jn
101 47 1.9.03 CT Wood Highland Hardware shaker bags
102 47 mrnugget Highland Hardware shaker bags / 24' long 6" main
running along ceiling with two 4" branches and several 4" drops
103 47 Doghouse
104 48 1.10.03 R-squared
105 48 1.10.03 gbs
106 51 1.11.03 ramonerl
107 52 1.11.03 Lewis
108 53 1.12.03 DuaneD Penn State 1 Micron Bags
109 54 1.13.03 MattBell007
110 55 1.14.03 Mmarzluf
111 55 1.14.03 Earl smith
112 55 1.14.03 hardtimes
113 1.14.03 thodges
114 1.14.03 Toolman8393
115 56 1.14.03 JeffG
116 57 1.15.03 kakid cyclone trash can separator
117 57 1.15.03 RRM
118 58 1.15.03 monte
119 58 1.15.03 gilligan
120 58 1.15.03 Del Hilburn
121 60 1.15.03 Bria150
122 61 1.16.03 studuster
123 63 1.16.03 RupertP
124 69 1.22.03 Stewart_in_CO
125 71 1.22.03 Red H-Style 1 Micron Bag from AFF / 4" PVC / cyclone
trash can separator
126 71 CABINETSBYSTEVE
127 73 1.23.03 petey
128 74 1.23.03 ala_eh
129 74 1.23.03 crewgoodman
130 76 1.24.03 jimbo181
131 76 1.24.03 AZeddie's buddy
132 77 1.24.03 Nathanp
133 77 1.24.03 GUNGATIM
134 78 1.24.03 TuffAsNails Bought 2!
135 78 1.24.03 TuffAsNails
136 79 1.25.03 1 Micron Bags from houseoftools.com
137 80 1.25.03 dale55 Penn State 1 Micron Bags / "I have a (4" PVC)
run 32' long with 2 els,1 tee (not even a sanitary tee) and 1 45 deg.
el. It will suck a 3/4" block of wood up the drop and down the run
quicker than a cat trying to get away from RBL2. Not very
scientific...but I'm impressed. "
138 85 1.27.03 KeithMed "This DC works really well for the price."
139 89 1.29.03 BigArngEE
140 91 1.30.03 dustpan 25' duct run along ceiling with a 7' drop to TS
/ "This thing had no problem sucking it up baby."
141 94 1.30.03 Dmalpiedi
142 95 1.30.03 pnctar
143 97 1.31.03 Puff
144 98 2.1.03 TonyNY
145 99 2.2.03 Raylp121
146 99 2.2.03 Kraco
147 99 2.2.03 Duan Packard
148 100 2.2.03 Vic Thompson
149 2.3.03 Michael Grilli
150 101 2.3.03 MGoBlue1984
151 107 2.6.03 Mr C
152 115 2.9.03 MarkM Grizzly 0.3 Micron Bags / 4 mil clear plastic
bottom bag from Woodworker's Supply
153 115 2.10.03 Gunn
154 118 2.11.03 bobhajjar "I attached a length of expanding drier vent
hose to the 4" inlet and a section of 4" pipe to make a vac. works
great, the hose self retracts when you move."
155 121 2.12.03 jspchief
156 123 2.14.03 Jetmaker1
157 124 2.17.03 Rob J
158 130 2.19.03 gEEk1
159 131 2.20.03 BigArngEE
160 133 2.22.03 clweed
161 133 2.23.03 David A. Frattaroli
162 138 2.25.03 bauerb
163 138 2.25.03 scambo
164 141 2.26.03 nicobie
165 141 2.26.03 Rob J
166 142 2.27.03 kaveman

Greg O

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
news
There once was a nice thread on "WoodNet" about the HF DC. It has
apparently died. I googled it but it would not come up so I clicked on
google's Cache button and got the basics, including info on bags, etc.
I tried copying it below but it isn't real nice so I suggest going to
google and searching on Harbor Freight Dust Collector Woodnet, then
pulling up the cache to get some good info on this DC.

Dave Hall

I think this is what you were trying to find.

This fellow has some interesting stuff on the HF dust collector.
http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Tools/HFDC%20Docs/Cian's%20HFDC.htm

A link on his page that refers to the Woodnet forums,
http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...C%20Thread.htm

Greg

Greg O

"Toller" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
I've read about some of you owning a Harbor Freight dc. How loud is it?
Are bags for less than 30 microns available? I've been looking at the 2hp
model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ).
I see they also offer a 1hp model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1674 ).
More expensive, is there a big difference?

Yeah, on the expensive one they admit it is only 6a; on the cheap one they
"claim" it is 14a. You pay for honesty.

Odds are the 2hp is twice as powerful as the 1hp; even if they really are
1hp and 1/2hp. Only reason I can imagine to buy the expensive one is if
you absolutely have to run it on the same circuit as another tool; you are
less likely to overload it with 6a than with "14a".

Again, here is a post from someone that has never seen on in use!
I have one, I like it, and I would buy it again over what else is out
there.It is a great buy. If the bags bother you, buy better bags. You will
still will have spent less that anything else on the market!
As far as noise, they are less noisy that a shop vac.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:47:15 GMT, "Jimmy" wrote:

I've read about some of you owning a Harbor Freight dc. How loud is it? Are
bags for less than 30 microns available? I've been looking at the 2hp model
( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ).
I see they also offer a 1hp model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1674 ).
More expensive, is there a big difference?

Thanks in advance.

In a 2 car "shop", it's pretty loud... and draws a LOT of juice...
With the DC and a Saw running it sounds like I'm making one hell of a racket,
but the neighbors across the street (where the garage door points all the noise)
say that the saw is louder than the DC, so I guess it isn't too bad..

I put it on it's own circuit because it dimmed all the shop lights when I
powered it up...
I also put it in a corner and leaned a couple of insulating ceiling panels
against it to block some of the noise..

OTOH, it's quieter than my compressor.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:47:15 GMT, "Jimmy" wrote:

I've read about some of you owning a Harbor Freight dc. How loud is it? Are
bags for less than 30 microns available? I've been looking at the 2hp model
( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ).
I see they also offer a 1hp model (
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1674 ).
More expensive, is there a big difference?

Thanks in advance.

ALSO.. I built a seperator/cyclone out of a 50 gallon drum and the DC works
great with it... I've had it for about a year and haven't had to empty the bags
yet..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

mac davis wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:47:15 GMT, "Jimmy" wrote:
In a 2 car "shop", it's pretty loud... and draws a LOT of juice...
With the DC and a Saw running it sounds like I'm making one hell of a racket,
but the neighbors across the street (where the garage door points all the
noise) say that the saw is louder than the DC, so I guess it isn't too bad..

I've got a 1.5HP Penn State with their optional muffler. It's quiet enough that
you can easily carry on a conversation in my two car "shop" without having to
shout. I bet it'd fit your machine.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:22:59 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:47:15 GMT, "Jimmy" wrote:
In a 2 car "shop", it's pretty loud... and draws a LOT of juice...
With the DC and a Saw running it sounds like I'm making one hell of a racket,
but the neighbors across the street (where the garage door points all the
noise) say that the saw is louder than the DC, so I guess it isn't too bad..

I've got a 1.5HP Penn State with their optional muffler. It's quiet enough that
you can easily carry on a conversation in my two car "shop" without having to
shout. I bet it'd fit your machine.

Just curious.. going by the "no free lunch" theory, how much does the muffler
cut down efficiency?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

mac davis wrote:
I've got a 1.5HP Penn State with their optional muffler. It's quiet enough
that you can easily carry on a conversation in my two car "shop" without
having to shout. I bet it'd fit your machine.

Just curious.. going by the "no free lunch" theory, how much does the muffler
cut down efficiency?

I have no idea. I ordered the muffler at the same time as everything else so
it's never been run without it. I've got more than adequate slurp power.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:23:02 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

mac davis wrote:
I've got a 1.5HP Penn State with their optional muffler. It's quiet enough
that you can easily carry on a conversation in my two car "shop" without
having to shout. I bet it'd fit your machine.

Just curious.. going by the "no free lunch" theory, how much does the muffler
cut down efficiency?

I have no idea. I ordered the muffler at the same time as everything else so
it's never been run without it. I've got more than adequate slurp power.

well, that's a great recommendation... sort of "it does what I bought it for",
which is about as good as you get.. *g*

I'll check it out... noise isn't a big problem now, but we'll be moving to Baja
in a few years and the DC and compressor will be outside, so low noise will be a
priority..
thanks!