Posted to alt.home.repair
jeffreydesign jeffreydesign is offline

Default Harbor Freight sells GARBAGE

I needed to put in a bamboo floor (T&G) and I checked what a rental
for a pneumatic nailer would be. $50/day and I knew it would take me
3-4 days to do the job (yeah, I'm slow, but I'm fussy.) I went to HF,
bought the nailer on sale for $125 - (including nails!) it worked
flawlessly and I still have the tool in the garage if I ever need to
do a repair on the floor. If I had rented, I would've had to use a
well-used nailer and I would've had to buy proprietary nails from the
rental joint (not available anywhere else) for triple the cost of what
HF sold me mine for. Sure, HF sells some junk - and often you get what
you pay for - but their "cheap" tools have got me through many jams I
could not have otherwise afforded to resolve. Some hand tools I buy
from MAC - but even they break! (I have also returned both Craftsman
and Snap on sockets and wrenches that I have broken) but in general
they are also worth what I paid for them. It's not just a matter of
the tools being cheap, it's a matter of using the tool properly and
maybe cheap tools are a little less forgiving in that respect.

I also bought a fold-up utility trailer (made in China) which has been
TERRIFIC (and fun to put together too.) I don't expect it to be super
heavy duty and I am careful with it - but for less than $300, what do
you expect? It serves the purpose and folds up and rolls into my
garage neatly.