Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

Default A/C working properly? Cost - lower temp?

It sure sounds like her apartment guy isn't an AC tech.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
:
:
: Quit screwing with that loser, call a pro to fix it, pay the
man then deduct
: it from your rent.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

The electricity savings may very well pay for the cost of the
repair guy. From what it sounds (from here) you need the outdoor
unit taken apart, and cleaned with chemicals that AC guys use.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
:
: I hear you can do that in Illinois, or that use to be the
case - maybe
: other places. The contract says no tenant repairs or
improvements
: will be deducted from the rent. Of course that wouldn't matter
if the
: contract was in IL because the law overrules it, but I don't
believe
: that's the case here.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:27:40 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:
Lady, you are wrapped just a little bit too tght.

You mean emotion vs logic?

OP - do you have a window open??!

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:40:13 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Now this post I can agree with! Geez cross posting fundie idiots...

And you are the third idiot (3rd) I've read that thinks alt.hvac is
a protected space. Get a date!

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Jul 8, 3:13 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:08 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

Sorry, 12:00 p.m. *is* noon.

Only if you define twelve hours after the sun is at its highest
point to be noon.

Because more than 1 person is disputing whether 12:00 PM is noon, I
decided to do some looking.

TvGuide.com uses it.
So does DHL, a major delivery compay. They have a service called ""DHL
Next Day 12:00pm"
Fedex uses it too (search Google: "12:00 pm" site:fedex.com )
Then there's the loads of radio and TV stations that use it
(schedules).
Here's one: The TV series "24" - where each episode covers one hour.
http://www.aetv.com/24/24_episode_gu...episode=111985

Better idea. Who on Google uses "12:00 PM noon" as opposed to "12:00
AM noon?" -The searches below also match with "p.m." and "(noon)",
the search is for a string, not words anywhere in a document.
"12:00 PM noon" matches "about 195,000" documents on Google
"12:00PM noon" matches "about 32,700"
"12:00 AM noon" matches about 436
"12:00AM noon" matches about 49
So:
Total documents using "12:00pm noon" or "12:00 pm noon" = 227,700 /
228,185 = 99.8%
Total documents using "12:00am noon" or "12:00 am noon" = 485 /
228,185 = 0.2%

So (roughly) 2 people in 1000 think that 12:00am means noon. (The
margin of error with this is not significant enough to matter.)

That should settle this, but of course it won't...

Ever watch a digital watch change from 11:59:59 AM to 12:00:00 PM?

Or how about this - what is 3-2? Of course it is 1. What I mean is
that at 12:00:00PM half the day has already, at that instant, passed,
and it is now the beginning of the second half of the day.

I could care less what some guy says on some government website. If we
lived in a universe where time could move backwards, then that
discussion
would make more sense.

But you hold that FedEx, a 24!, and, most importantly, TV Guide are somehow
kept under glass at the National Bureau of Standards as exemplars of
institutional knowledge?

Your observations are, however, excellent! I blame the school systems. Heck,
in my state 60% of high school biology teachers (according to a recent
survey) believed that humans and dinosaurs were contemporaries!

Science and standards are not subject to majority vote (except in the case
of global warming), so whatever "votes" you discover are meaningless. Well,
there is obviously a nuggest of truth in the numbers, but that nugget has
nothing to do with the subject matter.

Your searches (12:00AM noon, et al) were wrong. There is no such thing in
the real world as "12:00AM noon." 12:00 a.m and noon are contradictory -
they cannot both exist at the same time. Likewise "12:00 p.m. and noon" are
also mutually exclusive.

But because something cannot exist does not mean you won't find Google
references. Heck "living+dead" resulted in almost 90 million hits,
"black+white" yields almost 400 million events, "catholic+atheist" shows
over 2 million instances!

An appeal to Google as an arbiter of physical standards is not the epitome
of scientific rigor.

Ignorance can be fixed. It's knowing something that's wrong that's a shame.

You think that Google has an opinion on this matter??? You think
Google is not indexing pages that contain "12:00am noon" for purposes
of squewing results??? This may have something to do with your not
understanding my analysis.

You say 12:00am and noon are contradictory. Yes. That's the point.
You say 12:00pm and noon are mutually exclusive. You don't know what
mutually exclusive means if you also think 12am and noon are
contradictory. Elementary logic 101. Mutually exclusive means both
can't be the case at the same time, like being pregnant and not being
pregnant at the same time. This lack of logical ability and lack of
grasping the meaning of commonly used phrases (mutually esclusive)
could have something to do with your not understaing my analysis.
(If you are going to come back and say you think 12:00am and 12:00pm
are both contradictory to noon (it appears you may believe mutually
exclusive means redundant, but I can't read your mind), then you need
to look up contradictory. Just letting you know so you can do that in
advance of replying.)

On a related note: "12:00pm" and "12:00 pm" match about 24,180,000
documents. "Mutually exclusive," which you used even though you don't
know what it means, matches about 2,240,000 documents, far fewer. Do
you see the point? You used something much less common than "12:00 pm"
incorrectly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Jul 8, 4:32 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 7, 4:52 pm, mm wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:57:04 -0500, Logan Shaw

On Jul 7, 7:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Hmm. 12:00PM implies twelve hours past midday (p.m. = "post meridian" = past
midday). That would be midnight. From there to 7:46PM means the ac has been
on for almost twenty hours.

Of course one could also say 12:00AM (a.m. = "ante meridian" = before
midday) which would also be midnight.

Sorry, 12:00PM is noon. Have a High School diploma?? Is English your
native language??

I have a high school (and college) diploma. Yet, I don't think everything
I heard in high school (or college) is automatically true. In particular,
2000 wasn't the first year of the new millenium, and 12:00 PM is not noon.

Here's an explanation of why:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/...m#Anchor-57026

This is so on-point, I think it deserves to be quoted. Also, I don't
think there can be copyright issues with government websites info, all
of which should be in the public domain"

Are noon and midnight 12 a.m. or 12 p.m.?

This is a tricky question. The answer is that the terms 12 a.m.
and 12 p.m. are wrong and should not be used.

To illustrate this, consider that "a.m" and "p.m." are
abbreviations for "ante meridiem" and "post meridiem." They mean
"before noon" and "after noon," respectively. Noon is neither before
or after noon; it is simply noon. Therefore, neither the "a.m." nor
"p.m." designation is correct. On the other hand, midnight is both 12
hours before noon and 12 hours after noon. Therefore, either 12 a.m.
or 12 p.m. could work as a designation for midnight, but both would be
ambiguous as to the date intended.

When a specific date is important, and when we can use a 24-hour
clock, we prefer to designate that moment not as 1200 midnight, but
rather as 0000 if we are referring to the beginning of a given day (or
date), or 2400 if we are designating the end of a given day (or date).

To be certain of avoiding ambiguity (while still using a 12-hour
clock), specify an event as beginning at 1201 a.m. or ending at 1159
p.m., for example; this method is used by the railroads and airlines
for schedules, and is often found on legal papers such as contracts
and insurance policies.

=== I've heard this before.

If one is referring not to a specific date, but rather to
several days, or days in general, use the terms noon and midnight
instead of 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. For example, a bank might be open on
Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon. Or a grocery store might be open daily
until midnight. The terms "12 noon" and "12 midnight" are also
correct, though redundant.

==== On July 3, I was a at a supermarket that had a temporary sign,
and someone had written "Open July 4, 7AM to 12AM, and then it had a
dark P written over the second A.

Note that this comes from NIST, the National Institute of Standards
and Technology, which is the US federal government agency responsible
for standardizing measurements.

I liked it better when it was the National Bureau of Standards. They
keep changing names and confusing me. (I'm just going to call the INS
"la Migra" so I don't have to worry when it changes names.)

These are the people who operate
NIST-F1, the atomic clock which is the primary reference for timekeeping
in the United States, and one of the primary references worldwide.

I'll tell you how I remmeber this, and how I think it arose. The
moment of noon is neither before noon or after noon, but the
59.999999999...... seconds after that are after noon, and yet still
part of the minute that is 12:00. (and part of the second that is
12:00:00.) So even though all but the tiniest bit of the minute is not
noon, most of 12:00 noon is PM.

- Logan

I posted a detailed reply to the 12:00 thing elsewhere is this thread.

Who cares what you posted. Is your AC working? If yes, shut up. If
no, shut up and go hire a repair person.

You are an annoying and self defeating fool.

Apparently you get enjoyment reading this, or replying to it, or maybe
you are a masochist. I've tried several newsreaders, and haven't seen
one that makes you read particular threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

wrote:

On Jul 8, 1:15 pm, Logan Shaw wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 7, 5:42 pm, mm wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:27:18 -0700, wrote:

"Why do you think it should be 20 deg
different?" he says. I told him that's what I found on the internet.
He checked more wires with his probe for another 5 minutes, then
checked the temperature again. It now said 64 deg (18 deg different).

Now the thing is working! Darn. It's much much harder to fix most
things when they are working right.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you being sarcastic? He didn't adjust
anything, he was just using something that looked like a voltmeter
(and scratching his head, without actually doing that). Telling him
the A/C couldn't get the apt down below 83 deg all day didn't mean
anything to him.

The function of the A/C unit *itself* is to pump out air that's about
15F to 20F colder than the air that comes in (or actually, whatever
temperature difference is in its specifications). If it's doing that,
then *it* is working.

Now, in a larger context, the purpose of the A/C unit within your
actual apartment unit is to achieve a comfortable indoor temperature.
It is possible that the A/C unit is working perfectly according to its
specs but can't do that. In that case, the problem might be that the
A/C unit is simply undersized for the load it's having to handle.
That doesn't mean the A/C unit is broken. It means that you have the
wrong A/C unit. *If* this is the case, it cannot be fixed by tinkering
with the A/C unit.

To make a car analogy, if I try to tow a large trailer up a mountain
with a Toyota Corolla and I fail, does this mean the Toyota Corolla
is broken? No, and if I start looking in the engine compartment to
see what's "wrong" with the Toyota's engine, I am looking in the wrong
place.

The point is, perhaps the problem is that whoever designed the apartment
complex failed to choose appropriate A/C units given the size of the
apartments, the amount of insulation (which may be NONE), and variables
like that. And maybe they chose A/C units which are really energy-
inefficient. I don't know how common this type of bad engineering is,
but it seems like a plausible explanation for your situation.

- Logan

I've been here for over a year and a half, and never had an electric
bill like that, the A/C has never ran continously like it is, and I
never had any problems getting the temp down to 76 deg.

The unit couldn't get the temperature below 83 the other day, when the
temperature outside was ONLY 90 deg with 37% humidity.

That is a very low humidity & if the conditioned space is also low in
humidity the latent-heatload will be minimal, allowing the sensible
heatload to be removed & transferred outside much faster. Pull down the
shades & close the drapes to keep the radiant heat from entering the
conditioned space. Vent the bathroom after taking showers, don't cook
things that steam up the kitchen, etc., the latent heatload reduces the
evaporators Sensible (or Temperature Reducing) capacity!
You can do a lot to keep the heatload much lower; do those things &
reduce your utility bills!
- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(* My Airconditioning Links *, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle, etc.)

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

wrote:

On Jul 8, 3:13 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 7, 8:08 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

I thought you wanted an AC fixed or at least to be enabled to be
comfortable?
What is this nonsense all about, winning a dumb argument.
http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html
Read & learn some things that can be helpful. It is all free... . -
udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle, etc.)

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

ps.com...

On Jul 7, 7:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Does your newsreader make you read everthing??? If you don't like the
thread why are you reading it?

Maybe you can read this.... Welcome to my killfile

*PLONK*

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
someone wrote:

keep jumping on the landlord

Just flat tell the SOB

call him on the phone dozens of times a day

Boy, this adversarial relationship between tenant and landlord (neighbor
and neighbor, boss and employee, contractor and homeowner, etc. ad
infinitum) that keeps getting advocated really irritates the **** out of
me. I'm a tenant and a landlord, and I have fantastic, cooperative,
sane, mutually beneficial relationships with the other party in both
circumstances. Luck? No. Intention.

Maybe because you don't have to deal with slumlords that don't care about
anything but the money going into their pocket.
If her landlord cared about the tenent at all, he would have sent a pro to
begin with, not some minimum wage flake.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

In article ,
"Noon-Air" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
someone wrote:

keep jumping on the landlord

Just flat tell the SOB

call him on the phone dozens of times a day

Boy, this adversarial relationship between tenant and landlord (neighbor
and neighbor, boss and employee, contractor and homeowner, etc. ad
infinitum) that keeps getting advocated really irritates the **** out of
me. I'm a tenant and a landlord, and I have fantastic, cooperative,
sane, mutually beneficial relationships with the other party in both
circumstances. Luck? No. Intention.

Maybe because you don't have to deal with slumlords that don't care about
anything but the money going into their pocket.
If her landlord cared about the tenent at all, he would have sent a pro to
begin with, not some minimum wage flake.

I don't choose to do business with people of no character. So no, you're
absolutely correct, I don't have to deal with slumlords. And I never
will, because I will never rent from one. Or be one, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

mm wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:37:41 -0400, mm
wrote:

This is true even for heat, but for air conditioning, people
have almost no rights, partly because very few people will die without
AC, but many die without heat, and partly because AC is relatively
new, and didn't exist or wasn't very common when most tenants rights
laws were written, several decades ago.

I don't want to give the impression that tenants have rights. IN some
places there are tenants rights laws, but in most places afaik, there
are none. And they only have the rights that are in the lease, and in
general contract law or common law. Plus even those rights can be
trampelled, especially if the landlord is wicked or if you tick off
the landlord.

If you rent, and you need something fixed ,if it is not fixed in a
reasonable amount of time, you send a letter to your landlord with the
problem ,and that their rent money will be held in rent court until the
item is fixed. I have done this many times and all problems were fixed
before the rent was due.
J.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:20:43 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Noon-Air" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
someone wrote:

keep jumping on the landlord

Just flat tell the SOB

call him on the phone dozens of times a day

Boy, this adversarial relationship between tenant and landlord (neighbor
and neighbor, boss and employee, contractor and homeowner, etc. ad
infinitum) that keeps getting advocated really irritates the **** out of
me. I'm a tenant and a landlord, and I have fantastic, cooperative,
sane, mutually beneficial relationships with the other party in both
circumstances. Luck? No. Intention.

Maybe because you don't have to deal with slumlords that don't care about
anything but the money going into their pocket.
If her landlord cared about the tenent at all, he would have sent a pro to
begin with, not some minimum wage flake.

We don't know yet that he's a slumlord. IIRC he had the AC fixed a
month ago and while the guy might not have fixed it right, maybe this
is a new problem, and it did last 3 weeks to a month.

IIRC, it's the same guy this time. Maybe the guy knows how to fix
some problems and not others, or he was having a bad day, or his wife
left him, his kids in jail for drunken driving, and he's having a bad
week. Yes I know a pro should still do good work, but one can't count
on "should".

Or perhaps the company isn't very good, and the LL hired it precisely
because they are cheap. But maybe it's not even so cheap, but the
company itself is deteriorating, without the knowledge of the
landlord. Perhaps the owner is gambling and losing company money
(let's say it's a company he owns lock stock and barrell so it's not
even illegal what he's doing) so he's had to hire cheaper people than
he should. There are loads of things that the LL won't know about for
a while, especially if the employee is able to portray the tenant as
unreasonable.

I don't choose to do business with people of no character. So no, you're
absolutely correct, I don't have to deal with slumlords. And I never
will, because I will never rent from one.

What if your building is sold to a new landlord, like mine was.

Or be one, either.

I sure hope not. I hope everyone's good plans go well. But what
happens if your wife or kid has medical bills beyond your insurance,
and the only way to raise the money is by bleeding your rental
properties.

What I would do is bleed my rental properties or sell them, but I can
imagine that it's a bad seller's market and I think I only need
another 20,000 and I can keep the property and catch up later. Then
another 20 grand, etc.

I don't think you would plan to become a slumlord, but things happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

That's not the law everywhere**. In some places, rural places for
example are especially likely places, there is no rent court that will
hold money until something is fixed. Laws are passed all the time,
and repealed once in a while, and I don't do this for a living or know
about the entire nation, but I'm sure this is the situation in lots of
places.

There may be whole states where that is not the law.

**It's not the procedure in NYC even, though it has very strong
pro-tenant laws.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

"ftwhd" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:28:06 -0000, BobK207
wrote:

On Jul 7, 1:13 am, wrote:
On Jul 7, 3:12 am, mm wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:47:19 -0700, wrote:
On Jul 6, 7:45 pm, "Don K" wrote:

Running for hours could mean anything more than one hour. There's

not
much information there. Let it run overnight. If it can't bring

the apartment
down to temperature overnight, then there's something definitely

wrong
with it.

Don

It's been running non-stop since 12:00 PM, it's 7:46PM, and the temp
is still 83 deg, thermostat still at 80 deg. I would not have said
"hours" if it wasn't...

You missed his point, that hours can mean 2 or 200. So we don't know
your personality and what you would have said it if, in your opinion,
it wasn't, and even if you would not have said "hours" if it wasn't,
we still didn't know how many hours. You could have said 7 hours

and
that would have been clear.

Don't be snotty, especially when you're asking for free advice.

Is there any chance the fan is on ON, and the thermostat is not
accurate? Turn the thermostat down to 70 and see if goes lower than
it is now.

Also check the outside unit and see if it is making noise, and see if
you can tell if the noise is the fan and the compressor, or just the
fan.

You've got to be kidding. Enough "hours" that any human who has ever
used A/C would recognize that there's a problem. Here's what he
said:
"Running for hours could mean anything more than one hour. There's
not much information there. Let it run overnight. If it can't bring
the apartment down to temperature overnight, then there's something
definitely wrong with it."

Gee, do you really think there's something wrong if it can't get down
to 80 deg overnight??? (It would do that with open windows and no A/
C.) I think I was more than polite.

The fan is on "Auto," so as to not recirculate air through vents in a
hot attic when the compressor isn't on.

OP-

Your original post was unclear as to exactly how many "hours" it had
been running 2? 3? 6?

Trying to determine AC performance without thermometer is futile

Oh & for clarity don't use 12:00PM ....use noon or midnight to avoid
confusion

Clearly your AC unit is not working....for a 800 sq ft apt get a
window unit. It's in your interest to reduce the operating costs you
can easily save the cost of the unit in a few months.

cheers
Bob

Dont forget the 13 seer box fan accessory.

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

"mm" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 11:06:44 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

On Jul 6, 7:45 pm, "Don K" wrote:

[...]

No I"m not. Plenty of idiots post here. How do we tell who is an
idiot and who isn't? Even half or more of the seemingly smart people
fail to give enough information in their first post. EVen things they
already know.

We had one a couple days ago who dribbled out the important
information a little at a time until most people had I'm sure stopped
reading the thread before all the important facts were in.

Enough "hours" that any human who has ever
used A/C would recognize that there's a problem.

And did you say that you had ever used AC before?

And again, you hadn't said how many hours. We can't read your mind.

Again, did you miss the $320 electric bill.

Clueless I tell you, just pure stupidity!

It could be that a neigbhor is using her electricity. There was a
case on tv like that just last week. And oh yeah, there was a
follow-up in this newsgroup just last week where another tenant was
was using the poster's electricity, and had been for months, since he
moved in.

So she could have two separate problems, the bill and the lack of
cooling.

But I believe the AC is broken and it alone is using the electricity,
and still we need to know details. She''s the one who wanted to
prepare before the repairman came. This is not a case of "it's too
difficult for you. Why investigate? Call the repairman." The
repairman is coming but she wanted to be prepared for him.

Yeah, whatever, like that happens everyday.

You're still a clueless twit!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 7, 4:20 pm, krw wrote:
In article , lshaw-
says...

wrote:
On Jul 7, 7:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Hmm. 12:00PM implies twelve hours past midday (p.m. = "post

meridian" = past
midday). That would be midnight. From there to 7:46PM means the ac

has been
on for almost twenty hours.

Of course one could also say 12:00AM (a.m. = "ante meridian" =

before
midday) which would also be midnight.

Sorry, 12:00PM is noon. Have a High School diploma?? Is English your
native language??

I have a high school (and college) diploma. Yet, I don't think

everything
I heard in high school (or college) is automatically true. In

particular,
2000 wasn't the first year of the new millenium, and 12:00 PM is not

noon.

Well, we can't all be 100% correct. You're batting .500, which isn't
bad in some shapes.

Here's an explanation of why:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/...m#Anchor-57026

Sillyness.

Note that this comes from NIST, the National Institute of Standards
and Technology, which is the US federal government agency responsible

^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
1. What part of government is "responsible" for anything?
2. You _are_ talking about the US federal government.
3. Oxymoronic.

for standardizing measurements. These are the people who operate
NIST-F1, the atomic clock which is the primary reference for

timekeeping
in the United States, and one of the primary references worldwide.

4. Pedantic.

--
Keith

--
Keith

I posted a detailed reply to the 12:00 thing elsewhere is this thread.

And the simple minded people STILL can't comprehend it. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

ps.com...

On Jul 7, 7:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Cause he/she is an idiot. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 7, 10:20 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 7, 9:45 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 7, 9:41 am, wrote:
On Jul 7, 3:13 am, mm wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:55:23 -0700, wrote:
On Jul 6, 8:05 pm, "Noon-Air" wrote:
wrote in message

Hire a *competent*, licensed, bonded, insured,

professionally
trained HVAC
technician, instead of depending on some flunkie handiman

that
couldn't make
it doing anything else.

What specifically do I ask him tomorrow? (Types of HVAC

Ask him what the problem is, and how long it will take to fix

it.

Since he doesn't work for you, he may not tell you, but if you

are
nice, and not the least bit snotty, he may well tell you.

Maybe ask him if it's worth repairing or not, although that is

not
his
decision and he may be much less willing to speculate. OTOH,

if
he
knows it's a 50 dollar problem, he may be wiling to speculate.

But
you have to be even nicer to get answers to hard questions.
(sometimes even when you yourself are paying).

certifications?) He is being sent by the landlord, which I

don't
pay
for.

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a

reponse
to my original post.

why are you now posting multiple replies?

new to this whole thing,, huh?

They might be, but at least they're smart enough to realize that a

$320
electric bill isn't normal.

The fact that "a $320 electric bill isn't normal" for AC in a 800 sq
ft is pretty much of a "duh"

It was clear early on that her AC isn't working

For you and others to be harping on "how many hours has it been running"

is
pretty much mute, DUH!!!!

You still don't get it.

btw that would moot, not mute

I get it just fine, IMO you're missing the point of "tangential"
comments in some of the posts..............

For you and others to be harping on "how many hours has it been

running"

We were merely harping on the fashion in which the original
information was conveyed....poorly.

when she originally talked about running for "hours" it was unclear
as to whether she was being accurate (that the unit had in fact been
running for 7 hours) or exaggerating, like many non-technical people
do.

I've had a tenant tell me .......... "the heater's been running for a
long time & the house is still cold"

well the truth of the matter was 28F outside, 50F "soak" temp & the
heater had been running for not quite 2 hours

nothing wrong with the furnace, unrealistic expectation on the part of
the "operator"

its the details that matter..........

It's the "details" that you missed that started your stupid ass argument!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

"ftwhd" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:12:07 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news
Y'know Carie, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

My curious mind wants to know....Are you married or single?

Hell, how about a picture? :-)

Tub girl?

Please NO!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Jul 8, 7:49 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 7, 10:20 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 7, 9:45 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 6, 8:05 pm, "Noon-Air" wrote:

[...]

I think you're missed it

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

Logan Shaw wrote in news:468ff118$0$30622
:

Gordon wrote:
Here are few things that need to be checked.

1)Outside coil should be hosed off at least once a year.
If you have access to a hose bib and a hoes you can
do this yourself.

Don't you think using a hoe would damage the coil? On the other
hand, if it is *really* overgrown with grass or vines or something...

- Logan

Yes it would smartass. You know I ment Hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

ups.com...
"BobK207" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 7, 10:20 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 7, 9:45 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 7, 9:41 am, wrote:
On Jul 7, 3:13 am, mm wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:55:23 -0700,

wrote:
On Jul 6, 8:05 pm, "Noon-Air"

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

"I think you're missed it"

I'm not the one questioning the run time of her air conditioning system!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

"Tony" wrote in message
Carie
I am not AC person however I am refrigeration Tech. representing OEMs
from many parts of our country. I have read about dozens answers
and I had it enough. In my opinion any central domestic unit
if can't bring temperature down to 72 in let say 3 hours is not worth
having, so you tell you service people fix it or install new one
there is no excuse for something like that. leave unit running for
hours leave unit running overnight bull**** if was me two hours
would be a limit.

You like oversized systems, bigger is better, Eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Jul 8, 8:45 pm, udarrell wrote:
I thought you wanted an AC fixed or at least to be enabled to be
comfortable?
What is this nonsense all about, winning a dumb argument.http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html
Read & learn some things that can be helpful. It is all free... . -
udarrell

I browsed part of your site, and I appreciate your input. I don't know
anything about fixing the A/C, and I don't have time to learn it. The
site sheds light on all the different things that can be wrong. I
think I'll print it out and attach it to my letter to the landlord, as
an example of all the things that should be looked at, while that
repairman spent literally 2 minutes with what looked like a volt meter
before saying "it's working fine."

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac
mm mm is offline

I've been pretty negative about tenants rights. I had forgotten that
part of that stems from my experience with my mother.

Some cities have tenants rights organisations which are a quick and
pretty easy way to get information from a tenants pov about what his
rights are. If I lived in a small city or rural area, I'd try to find
out if the big city in that area had one, and they would know if
protection was state-wide, county-wide, whatever.

If there is no tenants org, there are much more likely to be legal
clinics for the poor, and even if one is not poor, I don't see an
ethical problem getting a few minutes of basic information from a
place like that. Landlord/tenant problems one of the biggest sources
of legal problems for the poor, and I would expect that most of these
people sympathize with the needs of even those tenants who are not
poor. What they don't want to do is get a new client that needs hours
of their time, when he's not within their income level. Ask for a
person who specializes in landlord problems, or stop by and they may
have pamphlets which summarize the tenants rights laws. They have
minimum income requirements for some things, but I'd be surprised if
they wouldn't give yuou a brochure and then answer questions for five
minutes, or maybe even 10.

In the case of my mother, she lived in Allentown, Pa, and was going to
move here because I lived here. She lived in a garden apartment area,
and the rental office did not permit month to month tenants. She had
to sign a new one year lease every year. She or her husband had
negotiated with them and arrangged, by paying a premium, to sign
3-month leases. But that really didn't help her much. She spent her
whole life being thrifty, and was determined to move into her new
place here the day after her lease expeired in Pa. and to not pay the
same months rent at two different places, or maybe it was not not pay
more than one month's rent at two different places. So if she didn't
find a good place to live, she had to wait 3 months for another time
to look.

The place had lots of vacancies, and would have actually benefitted by
letting someone like her be month to month. She might have hunted for
the best apartment for 6 more months and continued to pay rent at the
old place alll that time. Instead she rushed to find something
acceptable at the end of the first and second 3-month periods.

I thought she just didn't negotiate right, because at leaset in her
dealings with me, she could be a little testy. So I called the office
and got no further than she did. They wouldn't tell me who owned the
property.

So I called the county clerks office, and asked the woman if she would
look it up, and asked if I called back in two hours, if that would be
enough time for her to find it, and she said yes, and when I called
back she gave me 3 names and business addresses, out of state.

So I used the telephone information to find out one or two of the
phone numbers, at their business, and one guy told me was a silent
partner, and gave me the other guy's number, and I talked to him and
explained that my mother was 80 years old and this would be her last
apartment, and I wanted her to have as much time as needed to find a
good one, but that she was rushing to not pay extra rent and that it
was in his financial interest to let her be month to month.

And he gave me a one-time one month extension. Which might have
helped, but turned out not to. He woudn't just make her month to
month. All the fights I had with my landlord in NY didn't have nearly
the effect of understanding the hostilitiy of tenants to landlords as
this experience.

As it turns out she moved to a place that ended up being disastrous
for my mother, although I don't know that she would have found a
seemingly better place if she had mroe time, or that she wouldn't
have picked the same place (which didn't have any problems that one
could see), or that the same thing couldn't have happened anyplace
else. And when she was having these disastrous problems, it didn't
occur to me that it was the apartment she chose that caused them, or
that if she had had a more relaxed time to pick. That is, it wasn't
the place per se exactly, it was things that happened there that might
possibly have happened anywhere, even if a little less likely.
Actually I only thought about the possible relationship between her
lack of time and the bad results tonight, but I did think at the time
I called the landlord, how selfish I thought her landlord was. I
think being a landlord brings out the worst in some people, and
attracts the worst kind of people iln other cases. What fraction of
all landlords these two categories form, I don't know. What fraction
of landlords are bad, I have no idea. I know they are sorely tested
by tenants, including tenants who rented from your landlord before you
got there.

I dont think the case in this thread is at the stage of needing to
know tenants rights. If the apartment came with AC, the landlord is
obliged to fix it within a reasonable time, and afaict, he's trying to
do that. We haven't heard that he's been negligent with other
tenants, and eitehr the OP probably has the resources to move if she
accidentally moved to a place with a bad landlord, or she can convince
him its in his longterm interest to fix things, at least those that
affect her, and only a little more expensive to fix them quickly than
slowly.

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:04:35 -0400, mm
wrote:

That's not the law everywhere**. In some places, rural places for
example are especially likely places, there is no rent court that will
hold money until something is fixed. Laws are passed all the time,
and repealed once in a while, and I don't do this for a living or know
about the entire nation, but I'm sure this is the situation in lots of
places.

There may be whole states where that is not the law.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

First, it sounds like the outdoor unit needs to be cleaned.

Second, it's not possible to really accurately predict your power
bill.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
: It's 90 deg. outside, humidity is 37%. The A/C is set to 80
deg. The
: temp in the apartment is at 83 deg, and hasn't gone below that.
The A/
: C has been running non-stop for hours. The temp out of the
vents is
: colder than the air in the apartment, but not a lot colder. (I
don't
: have a thermometer.)
:
: Maintenance fixed the A/C only a month ago when it completely
quit
: working. Our electric bill that month was $320 for a 800 sq ft
: apartment.
:
: Maintenance is coming tomorrow. How do I make sure they fix the
unit
: right, or make the landlord replace it if it won't work
properly? The
: electric bill is outragous.
:
: The unit doesn't show a manufacturing date, and I can't find
the model
: no. on the manufacturer's website. Here's what the stickers
say:
: Goodman Manufacturing Co, 1501 Seamist Dr,
: Houston, TX 77008
: Model No. AW30-05C
: Part No. 20203-23
: Regrig 22
: Design PSIG 150
: Heater Amps 208/240V
: Motor 1PH 60HZ 3.5 Amps 1/3 HP
: Single Circuit 17.3/20.0
: Min Circuit Ampicity 26/29
: Max Overcurrent Protection 30/30
: UL Listed - G0587770080
:
: Also, once the unit works properly, how much more does it cost
to keep
: the apartment at 76 as opposed to 80 (above conditions)?
:
: Thanks
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

"BobK207" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 7, 10:20 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 7, 9:45 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 6, 8:05 pm, "Noon-Air" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Actually you did miss it...in my first post I told her

"Clearly your AC unit is not working........"

much more information in that line than in all of your posts.......

I must have missed your revealing diagnosis when you pronounced it
because it was camouflaged by your bile.

btw have you figured out mute vs moot?

too bad you're not mute

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Jul 9, 10:21 am, jJim McLaughlin

SNIP HAPPENS

I'll be writing a detailed letter to the landlord, and the state
licensing board (they may have some input even though he apparently
doesn' have to know what he's doing).

You go girl. Write that letter. It will certainly fix your AC unit.
Amazing what can
be done with a stamp amd an envelope.

In the mean time, you will have yet another $ 320 - 350 power bill to pay.

A smart persom would get a real repair person in to fix the unit and
pay that person directly, thereby avoiding the ongoing excess power bills.

But, as you stated, your IQ is 135, so you are obviouly not smart enough
to figure that out.

Not too smart, clearly wrapped too tight.

As spomeone els said, it must suck to be you.

If you go back and read my post you will see that I did not say my IQ
was 135. There's a minimum intelligence limit where I can relate to
someone.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Jul 9, 10:12 am, jJim McLaughlin

SNIP HAPPENS

I hear you can do that in Illinois, or that use to be the case - maybe
other places.

Used- past tense, no use.

Try to learn correct grammer. You might get better SAT scores with
which to impress us all.

Complaining about newsgroup grammer and spelling... Why am I replying?
Well, my CLEP w/essay was above the 99th &... (that was standardized
based on test results from people who just completed English 101).
Didn't take English 101...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Jul 9, 10:05 am, jJim McLaughlin

SNIP HAPPENS

Who cares what you posted. Is your AC working? If yes, shut up. If
no, shut up and go hire a repair person.

You are an annoying and self defeating fool.

Does your newsreader make you read everthing??? If you don't like the
thread why are you reading it?

Since you were too stupid to understand it the first time, let me repeat
it for you:

YOU ARE AN ANNOYING AND SELF DEFEATING FOOL.

Watching a train wreck happening in slow motion can be entertaining.

You have ceased being entertaining.

YOU ARE NOW MERELY AN ANNOYING AND SELF DEFEATING FOOL..

I your AC working yet?

Didn't think so.

Still reading?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

On Jul 9, 10:00 am, jJim McLaughlin
On Jul 8, 4:27 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 7, 7:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

It's been running non-stop since 12:00 PM, it's 7:46PM, and the temp
is still 83 deg, thermostat still at 80 deg. I would not have said
"hours" if it wasn't...

Hmm. 12:00PM implies twelve hours past midday (p.m. = "post meridian" = past
midday). That would be midnight. From there to 7:46PM means the ac has been
on for almost twenty hours.

Of course one could also say 12:00AM (a.m. = "ante meridian" = before
midday) which would also be midnight.

Sorry, 12:00PM is noon. Have a High School diploma?? Is English your
native language??

Lady, you are wrapped just a little bit too tght.

And you are wrong about the use of 12:00 PM to universally mean Noon.

I didn't say universally, I said about 99.8% of the time.

Then you are 100% wrong. Real people, (you kow, those of us with SATs
of 1500 back 47 years
ago before score inflation made scores like the one you boasted about
meaningless)
living in the real world understand 12:00 PM to mean Noon 99.8 % of the
time.

But with all your great knowledge and demonstrable interpersonal skills,
have you
gotten your AC working yet?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

?? You previously stated "And you are wrong about the use of 12:00 PM
to universally mean Noon." And now you say "Real people living in the
real world understand 12:00 PM to mean Noon 99.8 % of the time." The
second quote is a rephrasing of what I said, which was a reply to your
first quote.

Regarding SAT scores, I read they correlated about as well to IQ
(pre-1995 SAT) as different types of IQ tests correlate to each other.
I mentioned the SAT because a lot of people don't know their IQ.

I never boasted about my SAT score, and I never said what it was. I
only implied it would be higher than that, and the motivation wasn't
boasting, it was about compatibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac

wrote:
On Jul 9, 10:21 am, jJim McLaughlin

SNIP HAPPENS

I'll be writing a detailed letter to the landlord, and the state
licensing board (they may have some input even though he apparently
doesn' have to know what he's doing).

You go girl. Write that letter. It will certainly fix your AC unit.
Amazing what can
be done with a stamp amd an envelope.

In the mean time, you will have yet another $ 320 - 350 power bill to pay.

A smart persom would get a real repair person in to fix the unit and
pay that person directly, thereby avoiding the ongoing excess power bills.

But, as you stated, your IQ is 135, so you are obviouly not smart enough
to figure that out.

Not too smart, clearly wrapped too tight.

As spomeone els said, it must suck to be you.

SNIP HAPPENS

Again, since you are too stupid to figure it out, I'll repeat:

YOU GO GIRL. WRITE THAT LETTER. IT WILL CERTAINLY FIX YOUR AC UNIT.
AMAZING WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH A STAMP AMD AN ENVELOPE.

IN THE MEAN TIME, YOU WILL HAVE YET ANOTHER $ 320 - 350 POWER BILL TO PAY.

A SMART PERSOM WOULD GET A REAL REPAIR PERSON IN TO FIX THE UNIT AND
PAY THAT PERSON DIRECTLY, THEREBY AVOIDING THE ONGOING EXCESS POWER BILLS.

BUT, AS YOU STATED, YOUR IQ IS 135, SO YOU ARE OBVIOULY NOT SMART ENOUGH
TO FIGURE THAT OUT.

NOT TOO SMART, CLEARLY WRAPPED TOO TIGHT.

AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID, IT MUST SUCK TO BE YOU.

Getting warm there this afternoon?