Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mower dealer said do not wash mower

I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 6:41 am, "rogerfisher" wrote:
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have heard of this and also never wash my mower a Honda 21 inch.
What I do do is have some nylon scrubbing brushes that I quickly go
over the mower with to get most of the grass and dust off it.

By the way what are your impressions on the SCAG? I was looking at
them and they look like a really good machine, and was thinking about
getting one, though perhaps not as large as yours. What engine size
did you go for? One final question is does it do well on slopes?

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I very rarely wash any of my equipment.I usually just use an air hose.Unless
I get mud on the tractor or something similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"rogerfisher" wrote:

I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this.

I HAVE heard that washing is unnecessary at least and potentially damaging at
worst.

I regularly washed at least one of the Toro mowers I have owned over the years
with no ill effect.

After hearing that washing can be A Bad Thingtm, I began using only
compressed air to clean my new mowers after each use.

Since you bought a Scag - a commercial mower - and probably paid dearly for
it, I would expect it to withstand regular washing with no ill effect.

http://www.scag.com/turftiger.html

I got the impression that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for
all mowers. We live in a very dusty environment and I have always
washed the mower after mowing. Has anyone heard of this?

A Scag is designed to operate in virtually ALL mowing conditions - including
rain. I don't think you'll hurt your new mower by washing it, but I would do
so only occasionally. Compressed air is a lot less messy than horsing-around
with hoses and water anyway.
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rogerfisher" wrote in message
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a
very dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing.
Has anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

I had a Bolens mulching mower that had a nose connection on it to wash the
underside of the deck. Hook up the hose, start the mower, then turn on the
water.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"rogerfisher" wrote:

I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

After washing run the mower for a short time to dry it
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"rogerfisher" wrote:

I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a
very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

After washing run the mower for a short time to dry it

If he's going to go against dealer advice, why bother to run it afterward?
It's not going to dry out all the little nooks and crannies the water is
going to get into.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

rogerfisher wrote:
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

It's kinda' excessively anal advice for water in the bearings as the
reason against it for any quality mower -- cheap stuff w/ sleeves or
open rollers, sure, but w/ modern sealed bearings on spindles and even
on front axles of a mower of this size/quality, it just ain't a problem.

Where there is more of an issue in my mind is long term on the nooks and
crannies of the deck where water will collect and could _eventually_
cause some rust/corrosion from the inevitable paint chips and dust/dirt
that collects where it can't ever get completely removed in those crevices.

It isn't all that great to get belts wet repeatedly, either.

So, overall, I tend to agree washing is best left to infrequently and
restrained to the cosmetics and to use air to clean the debris/dirt of
the deck, etc., regularly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 5:41 am, "rogerfisher" wrote:
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

No. 1. The bearings should be weatherproof. and as grass will stick
under the deck to the housing unless removed it will cause the deck
housing to rust out sooner.. So I would say washing and then running a
while to dry it out would be the smart thing to do. But to each his
own. I had a snapper that I ran for 28 yrs and then sold it for $50,00
and it was still in top shape. Yes it was washed and taken care of.
There is a word that spells out how long a piece of equip-ment lasts
and that word is -"MAINTENANCE!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rogerfisher" wrote in message
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a
very dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing.
Has anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

Sure. Everybody has a compressor in the garage, right? Air hose. Yep.

"Washing" does not necessarily mean blasting water into all the crevices.
There are ways to do it carefully. Leave the mower in the sun for a while
until it dries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This was the same advice I got with my Cub Cadet. Washing is OK for under
the deck but for everything else --blow it off. So everytime I get the leaf
blower out, I give the lawn tractor a blast of air. Occasionally, I will
wash it with car wash detergent. The blower does work better at removing the
dried leaves and grass on top of the deck than the hose does.

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"rogerfisher" wrote:

I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the
impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a
very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

After washing run the mower for a short time to dry it

If he's going to go against dealer advice, why bother to run it afterward?
It's not going to dry out all the little nooks and crannies the water is
going to get into.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jun 27, 5:41 am, "rogerfisher" wrote:
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

Did they warn ya not to let it get wet in the rain? It happens. Do
cars fall apart when you wash them or drive them in the rain?
Underhood has as many or more bearings and belts as a mower and they
survive water. Does the mower instructions tell you not to get it
wet? I think this is advice on the same level as urban myths and old
wives tales - once started they have a way of perpetuating themselves
until fiction is stronger than truth.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 3:41 am, "rogerfisher" wrote:
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

Strange. I read through most of the replies. Didn't see one that
said anything but "I heard...". Now let us apply some logic here.

Do you really think that something that will harm your very expensive
equipment would _not_ be mentioned in the manual. That it would be
left to the dealer to tell the customer?

Don't ask here, go direct to the manufacturer, they must have customer
service that you can call. Don't take a salesman's word for something
like that.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rogerfisher" wrote in message
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a
very dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing.
Has anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

I have a Toro Personal Pace Mower. In the instruction manual it calls for
hosing off the mower with water as necessary.

However it does state to have the mower running while washing it.

Check your owner's manual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:47:35 -0400, "digitalmaster"
wrote:

"hobbes" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Do you ever mow wet grass?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"rogerfisher" wrote in message
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a
very dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing.
Has anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

Sure. Everybody has a compressor in the garage, right? Air hose. Yep.

"Washing" does not necessarily mean blasting water into all the crevices.
There are ways to do it carefully. Leave the mower in the sun for a while
until it dries.

Like a previous poster suggested, use a leaf blower. They work better
anyway.
Bob-tx

Yeah, but then you'd have another problem: A leaf blower. :-)

Sorry, but I'm amused by my neighbors who take five hours to clear leaves
off the lawn with their stupid noisy toys. I can collect twice as much in an
hour using a rake. It's weird, but true. Maybe these people never went to
leaf blower school or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Mike,

I've only had the Scag for about 2 weeks, but love it so far. It's a mowing
machine...mows our 3 acres in about a third of the time that our little
rider did. It does very well on slopes. The deck is so large and sits so
close to the ground, it takes the slopes extremely well. Ours has a 27
horse Kohler engine.

Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"KC" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 27, 5:41 am, "rogerfisher"
wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you wash under the hood with a hose, I don't, so can't
answer your question.
But, I'd suggest he follow the dealer's instructions.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 2:04 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

leaf blower school or something.- Hide quoted text -

What is wrong with just mowing over them? I haven't raked leaves in
over 30 years and I have a couple of maples along with many other
trees.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 3:04 pm, "rogerfisher" wrote:
I had a brain malfunction. Your advice is right on. I didn't even consider
that. Thanks!

Roger

"Harry K" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

If/when you get the official word, please post the results.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, wash the mower. Just take some WD or other spray oil, and
relube the berrings a couple times a year. Problem solved.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"rogerfisher" wrote in message
: I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things
that the
: dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off
with a
: blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings
and it is
: best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the
impression
: that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We
live in a very
: dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after
mowing. Has
: anyone heard of this? Comments?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Roger
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Depends on how many there are, whether they're really wet, and whether I
have time to plan to mow them only on days when they're NOT wet. I also use
about half of them for composting, and for digging into the garden bed soil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Sure. Everybody has a compressor in the garage, right? Air hose. Yep.

Hmmmmm... I wonder how many have the air hose and NOT a compressor.

Anyway, if they DON'T have an air compressor (and air hose [duh]), now is the
time to get one. "Entry level" air compressors are almost CHEAP.

I have had the same, consumer-grade, Ingersoll-Rand compressor in my garage
for at least 20-years. It wasn't particularly expensive when I bought it new.
It's a cinch that I have gotten my money's-worth out of it.

Besides, if the OP can afford a Scag mower, chances are that, if he doesn't
already HAVE an air compressor, buying one should be no trouble.
--
JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

use a leaf blower. They work better anyway.

Better than what? Certainly not better than compressed air. No way.
--
JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I'm amused by my neighbors who take five hours to clear leaves
off the lawn with their stupid noisy toys. I can collect twice as much in an
hour using a rake...Maybe these people never went to
leaf blower school or something.

Obviously, otherwise they'd be done clearing twice as many leaves in half the
time than if using a stupid quiet rake. Pass the ibuprofen.
--
JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:57:15 -0700, Harry K
wrote:

[snip]

What is wrong with just mowing over them? I haven't raked leaves in
over 30 years and I have a couple of maples along with many other
trees.

Harry K

I've never used a leaf blower, and the only time I've raked leaves
since I moved here (7 years ago) was last December when the pear tree
dropped its leaves after I had the holiday decorations out (and so
couldn't use the mower).

BTW, I know a neighbor who does use a (gas) leaf blower, and has a
4-year-old daughter who gets scared when she hears that really loud
thing.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"rogerfisher" wrote:

I've only had the Scag for about 2 weeks, but love it so far. It's a mowing
machine...mows our 3 acres in about a third of the time that our little
rider did. It does very well on slopes. The deck is so large and sits so
close to the ground, it takes the slopes extremely well. Ours has a 27
horse Kohler engine.

What model did you get? Belt or hydraulic drive? Deck width?

I'm green...
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:57:15 -0700, Harry K
wrote:

[snip]

What is wrong with just mowing over them? I haven't raked leaves in
over 30 years and I have a couple of maples along with many other
trees.

Harry K

I've never used a leaf blower, and the only time I've raked leaves
since I moved here (7 years ago) was last December when the pear tree
dropped its leaves after I had the holiday decorations out (and so
couldn't use the mower).

BTW, I know a neighbor who does use a (gas) leaf blower, and has a
4-year-old daughter who gets scared when she hears that really loud
thing.
--
Mark Lloyd

The guy across the street from me - his leaf blower lost its muffler a
couple of years ago. Imagine two sounds mixed in equal proportions: shop vac
and dentist's drill. Now, imagine them sent through the sound system at a
major baseball stadium, and you're standing 10 feet from the PA speaker. He
thinks it's funny. And, he'll spend hours chasing one leaf around the yard.

I think the reason none of us have killed him is that because we're hoping
his wife does it first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Mark Lloyd" wrote

I've never used a leaf blower, and the only time I've raked leaves
since I moved here (7 years ago) was last December when the pear tree
dropped its leaves after I had the holiday decorations out (and so
couldn't use the mower).

BTW, I know a neighbor who does use a (gas) leaf blower, and has a
4-year-old daughter who gets scared when she hears that really loud
thing.

The guy across the street from me - his leaf blower lost its muffler a
couple of years ago. Imagine two sounds mixed in equal proportions: shop
vac and dentist's drill. Now, imagine them sent through the sound system
at a major baseball stadium, and you're standing 10 feet from the PA
speaker. He thinks it's funny. And, he'll spend hours chasing one leaf
around the yard.

Those damned leaf blowers. I can see why some towns ban them.
People who use them seem completely oblivious that the noise is
disrupting the entire neighborhood because they just drone on and on,
blowing some imaginary blade of grass around. Get a broom!

Last fall the neighbor's annoying lawn guys did the leaf cleanup.
Four young, presumably healthy guys with gas blowers. One
third acre, 100 X 150 feet, half covered with house, pool, patio.
Hours they kept at it, the din was unreal. I left the house twice
to get away from it, couldn't believe they were still at it when I got
back. I could have raked that property clean with a rake by myself
in four hours, for pete's sake.

I think some people just think blowers are cool. The future
deaf people of America.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's something more that "I heard" but it applies to newer John
Deere riding mowers. My neighbor across the street from me AND another
friend of mine bought similar John Deere riding mowers (nice ones)
late last year. They both wash their mowers - not every time they use
them but when they get dirty enought to wash them. They both run them
afterwards to dry them out. BOTH of these mowers have been in the shop
SEVERAL times already having deck bearings replaced. Less than a year
old!

IMHO, this isn't a problem with washing the mower - you should be able
to wash it without problems. The problem is poor design.

JM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Jun 2007 12:25:57 -0700, jeffreydesign
wrote:

Here's something more that "I heard" but it applies to newer John
Deere riding mowers. My neighbor across the street from me AND another
friend of mine bought similar John Deere riding mowers (nice ones)
late last year. They both wash their mowers - not every time they use
them but when they get dirty enought to wash them. They both run them
afterwards to dry them out. BOTH of these mowers have been in the shop
SEVERAL times already having deck bearings replaced. Less than a year
old!

IMHO, this isn't a problem with washing the mower - you should be able
to wash it without problems. The problem is poor design.

JM

I used to think John Deere, Honda, and Lawnboy were good mowers, but
it just turns out that they are no better than others, just
overpriced. I'm having good luck with Toro mowers. And I have a
neighbor that has been using a Sears mower for over 12 years without
any needed repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

In the 21 years that my parents have lived in their house my father
has purchased 2 lawn tractors, The first was a toro that lasted 15 yrs
(being abused by a teenage son I might add) and the other was a
craftsman that him and my mother both love.

BTW as a 14 year old, after taking off the catcher and the blade the
toro was one heck of an ATV.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:18:36 GMT, Phisherman graced
this newsgroup with:

wrote:

[...]

I went back to Toro mowers after trying a Honda and a Yardman. Both
were "ok" but the Toro is built like a tank, *always* starts on the
first pull and I don't even bother thinking of a tune up except every
5 or 6 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

5 or 6 years.- Hide quoted text -

Strange. My oldest Honda (walkbehind) is a few years over 20 now.
Never had a tune-up...well, I did give it a new plug and fuel filter
about 10 years ago, wore the rubber off the drive wheels twice,
replaced the clutch cable once. Smokes like a lawn fogger at startup
now but that clears as soon as a load is applied.

As for "always starts first pull...." Toro does not build their
motors, they run the same motors as other makes.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Had a ($650) walk-behind Honda mower with the plastic "bullet proof"
deck and the deck started cracking near stress points. Honda makes
good small engines, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Agreed on that. My MTD generic, 3? years old, had the same engine the $700+
Honda walk-behind did, but for 1/3 the price. I looked at the Honda, and the
deck was nicer, but not that much nicer. Still big and heavy with all those
silly-ass 'safety' features that make mowing take 3 times as long. The Honda
engine has stood up well to my abuse- change oil once a year, change air
filter when it gets plugged, always starts first pull. (My yard is a rough
mess, with lots of dirt showing, so it does get dusty in dry weather.)

Now if somebody would bring back the old lightweight LawnBoy staggered-wheel
magnesium deck, with a Honda engine, we would have a winner.

aem sends...

Scag mower vs Kubota mower. Thoughts? rogerfisher Home Repair 6 June 17th 07 01:54 PM
Mower Problem ML Home Repair 6 August 31st 06 05:56 PM
Buy new mower [email protected] Home Repair 6 July 9th 06 03:11 AM
help me help my mower!! [email protected] Home Repair 10 June 15th 06 12:52 PM
Hit a rock with the mower... Noozer Home Repair 19 April 24th 05 04:13 AM