Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mower dealer said do not wash mower

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 27, 2:04 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"rogerfisher" wrote in message
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it
is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the
impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in
very dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after
mowing.
Has anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

Sure. Everybody has a compressor in the garage, right? Air hose. Yep.

"Washing" does not necessarily mean blasting water into all the
crevices.
There are ways to do it carefully. Leave the mower in the sun for a
while
until it dries.
Like a previous poster suggested, use a leaf blower. They work better
anyway.
Bob-tx

Yeah, but then you'd have another problem: A leaf blower. :-)

Sorry, but I'm amused by my neighbors who take five hours to clear leaves
off the lawn with their stupid noisy toys. I can collect twice as much in
an
hour using a rake. It's weird, but true. Maybe these people never went to
leaf blower school or something.- Hide quoted text -

What is wrong with just mowing over them? I haven't raked leaves in
over 30 years and I have a couple of maples along with many other
trees.

Harry K

Depends on how many there are, whether they're really wet, and whether I
have time to plan to mow them only on days when they're NOT wet. I also use
about half of them for composting, and for digging into the garden bed soil.