Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default Mower dealer said do not wash mower

On Jun 27, 5:41 am, "rogerfisher" wrote:
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression
that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very
dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has
anyone heard of this? Comments?

Thanks,

Roger

No. 1. The bearings should be weatherproof. and as grass will stick
under the deck to the housing unless removed it will cause the deck
housing to rust out sooner.. So I would say washing and then running a
while to dry it out would be the smart thing to do. But to each his
own. I had a snapper that I ran for 28 yrs and then sold it for $50,00
and it was still in top shape. Yes it was washed and taken care of.
There is a word that spells out how long a piece of equip-ment lasts
and that word is -"MAINTENANCE!"