Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Mower dealer said do not wash mower

In article ,
"rogerfisher" wrote:

I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the
dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a
blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is
best never to wash it. I have never heard of this.

I HAVE heard that washing is unnecessary at least and potentially damaging at
worst.

I regularly washed at least one of the Toro mowers I have owned over the years
with no ill effect.

After hearing that washing can be A Bad Thingtm, I began using only
compressed air to clean my new mowers after each use.

Since you bought a Scag - a commercial mower - and probably paid dearly for
it, I would expect it to withstand regular washing with no ill effect.

http://www.scag.com/turftiger.html

I got the impression that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for
all mowers. We live in a very dusty environment and I have always
washed the mower after mowing. Has anyone heard of this?

A Scag is designed to operate in virtually ALL mowing conditions - including
rain. I don't think you'll hurt your new mower by washing it, but I would do
so only occasionally. Compressed air is a lot less messy than horsing-around
with hoses and water anyway.
--

JR

No project too small