Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove roofing nails from below?

I am in the process of replacing some fascia boards that were
damaged. These fascia boards are 1x8 and is nailed to another layer
of 2x12 and they are nailed to the roof and soffit framing.

I am only removing the outer layer of 1x8. There is a "drip" or a
metal flashing that folds down and when they installed the flashing
and asphalt cement roof they screwed the flashing down along the edges
and nailed down in other spots. Now that I removed the fascia boards,
I can see the ends of screws and nails every 4 inches or so sticking
out.

In order for me to install the new fascia boards, I need to get the
screws and nail ends out of the way. Is there a way to address this
without having to redo the flashing above? I really would like to
avoid having to mess with it since it's fine. Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, wrote:

Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

It's called an "end cut pliers" e.g.
http://www.homaktools.com/062endcutpliers.htm

If you need them to be absolutely flush, you can grind them down with an angle
grinder after cutting them off.

Depending on how much room you have to get tools in there, you might also be
able to just saw them off flush with a reciprocating saw.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 2:20 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, wrote:
Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

It's called an "end cut pliers" e.g.http://www.homaktools.com/062endcutpliers.htm

I just got an end cut plier and it seems to be able to cut off nail
ends but not the screw ends. I think part of the reason is the tight
space and I am on a ladder and hence not able to really leverage too
much force to really clamp down.

I wonder if a Dremel with a grinding disc would work or not. I saw a
show they saw off a galvanized pipe with that - but that's a show and
I don't know if it really works or not.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Clark" wrote in message
wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

It's called an "end cut pliers"
e.g.
http://www.homaktools.com/062endcutpliers.htm

I just got an end cut plier and it seems to be able to cut off nail
ends but not the screw ends. I think part of the reason is the tight
space and I am on a ladder and hence not able to really leverage too
much force to really clamp down.

I wonder if a Dremel with a grinding disc would work or not. I saw a
show they saw off a galvanized pipe with that - but that's a show and
I don't know if it really works or not.

The Dremel cut-off disks are very fragile. Any side load at all will

shatter
the disk. You might make a few cuts but will spend more time putting on

new
disks than actually cutting...

I double that comment!!!
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 1:29?pm, wrote:
[...]

Can you fit a 4 1/2" grinder in there? With a good cutting disc it
would work. Screws are harder than nails.
Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

In article .com, wrote:
Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

It's called an "end cut pliers" e.g.
http://www.homaktools.com/062endcutpliers.htm

I just got an end cut plier and it seems to be able to cut off nail
ends but not the screw ends. I think part of the reason is the tight
space and I am on a ladder and hence not able to really leverage too
much force to really clamp down.

Another part might be that screws are a lot harder than nails.

I wonder if a Dremel with a grinding disc would work or not. I saw a
show they saw off a galvanized pipe with that - but that's a show and
I don't know if it really works or not.

I think those pipes are made from galvanized candy. Or they're pipes
for doll houses. Or they show it when they start, and for 4 seconds in
the middle, and when they're done.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 13:04:25 -0700, wrote:

I just got an end cut plier and it seems to be able to cut off nail
ends but not the screw ends. I think part of the reason is the tight
space and I am on a ladder and hence not able to really leverage too
much force to really clamp down.

Try a 6" Mini Hacksaw from the BORG

Looks like this:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...w--620071.aspx

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 1:29 pm, wrote:
[...]

Angle grinder is my tool of choice for the nails if there's access
room.

What sort of screws? If they're drywall screws you can grab them with
pliers and bend them back and forth and they'll snap off, or you could
give them a couple or three swats with a hammer in opposite directions
- same result.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 3:36 pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 6, 1:29?pm, wrote:

[...]

Good luck- Hide quoted text -

That's about the only solution other than an angle grinder which would
get very heavy and awkward to use in close quarters. The 4 1/2
grinder would make quick work of the screws and the end nippers would
do the nails or just use the grinder for both.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Around our house, we would use a small angle grinder.
Available at Harbor Freight for prolly $20-$30

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:29:51 -0700, wrote:

[...]

The "standard" little cutoff disks that come with the dremel are
indeed pretty much useless. But they also sell fiber reinforced disks
and they are quite durable. I've cut screws and bolts and pipe with
them easily. They are a little bigger in diameter than the others
though, so you might have trouble fitting them in the space. But they
do wear down pretty fast, so if you need to, you could dress them to
smaller diameter with a brick or stone.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Doug Miller) wrote in
t:

In article .com,
wrote:

Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

It's called an "end cut pliers" e.g.
http://www.homaktools.com/062endcutpliers.htm

If you need them to be absolutely flush, you can grind them down with
an angle grinder after cutting them off.

Depending on how much room you have to get tools in there, you might
also be able to just saw them off flush with a reciprocating saw.

If the screws are drywall screws they are probably hardened and will not
cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 13:04:25 -0700, wrote:

I just got an end cut plier and it seems to be able to cut off nail
ends but not the screw ends. I think part of the reason is the tight
space and I am on a ladder and hence not able to really leverage too
much force to really clamp down.

Try a 6" Mini Hacksaw from the BORG

Looks like this:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...i-hacksaw--620
071.aspx

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the
configuration in the photo..

Again, NG if drywall screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

It's called an "end cut pliers"
e.g.
http://www.homaktools.com/062endcutpliers.htm

I just got an end cut plier and it seems to be able to cut off nail
ends but not the screw ends. I think part of the reason is the tight
space and I am on a ladder and hence not able to really leverage too
much force to really clamp down.

I wonder if a Dremel with a grinding disc would work or not. I saw a
show they saw off a galvanized pipe with that - but that's a show and
I don't know if it really works or not.

MC

Another vote for Dremel disks are brittle and shatter...

Not sure if when you mentioned Dremel that you meant you would buy one.
If you're gonna buy something choose:
- Die grinder for your compressor if you have one
or
- 4 1/2" grinder
or
- RotoZip

You'll get more bang for the buck usage out of the first two probably.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clark" wrote in message
wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
[...]

I use the heavy duty discs and have no problem. They last a long time if
you use good technique.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 21:01:15 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

Around our house, we would use a small angle grinder.
Available at Harbor Freight for prolly $20-$30

Get the 4 1/2 and not the 4". Hard to get disks for 4". (So why do
they sell them?)

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
[...]

That would be my choice for tight places. Just take your time and dont try
to force the cut. Another possibility would be to carefully mark the new
board and drill or notch it to clear the screws. If you do that you might
want to fill the notches or holes with caulking compound to eliminate any
gaps or water traps.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 6, 1:29?pm, wrote:
[...]

I have about 1 1/2 inch of space so no luck with an angle grinder. Thanks.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 6, 1:29 pm, wrote:
[...]

They are not drywall screws, I think those are galvanized roofing screws. I
am just trying to get them out of the way, if I hammer in opposite direction
they will pop out the other end and tear up the flashing and asphalt cement
on top of it, which means I will have to redo the roofing edge.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 6, 1:29?pm, wrote:
[...]

Oxyacetylene torch has a fine tip for tight places. No, guess not huh...
:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote in
:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 6, 1:29?pm, wrote:
[...]

Thermic lance? .....nope, another poor choice I suppose.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 22:55:28 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message

What sort of screws? If they're drywall screws you can grab them with
pliers and bend them back and forth and they'll snap off, or you could
give them a couple or three swats with a hammer in opposite directions
- same result.

They are not drywall screws, I think those are galvanized roofing screws. I
am just trying to get them out of the way, if I hammer in opposite direction
they will pop out the other end and tear up the flashing and asphalt cement
on top of it, which means I will have to redo the roofing edge.

He knows that. He meant left and right, or front and back, opposite
directions from each other, not opposite direction as you just wrote,
with no s.

His is another way to bend them as in his previous clause.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message news:wdCdnfl5daU-

They are not drywall screws, I think those are galvanized roofing
screws. I am just trying to get them out of the way, if I hammer in
opposite direction they will pop out the other end and tear up the
flashing and asphalt cement on top of it, which means I will have to
redo the roofing edge.

Can you grab the heads of the screws with the cutter, but not cut
them?

Then grab them with the cutter and twist the whole cutter when you
have a good grip. You may be able to unscrew them.

You did try a screwdriver? :-)

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message

What sort of screws? If they're drywall screws you can grab them with
pliers and bend them back and forth and they'll snap off, or you could
give them a couple or three swats with a hammer in opposite directions
- same result.

He knows that. He meant left and right, or front and back, opposite
directions from each other, not opposite direction as you just wrote,
with no s.

His is another way to bend them as in his previous clause.

MC

Oh I see now. Well that does not work either. The hammer barely fits
so most times I hit something else in the narrow channel before the
nail or screw. I tried to wedge a flat head screwdriver against one
screw then wack the screwdriver with it but it just "weasel" its way
around the screw.

I think I will try the dremel grinding disc next since I have a dremel
(but no disc) if that does not work then I don't know what else I can
do. Minor details always kill my project schedule.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 12:07 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message news:wdCdnfl5daU-

They are not drywall screws, I think those are galvanized roofing
screws. I am just trying to get them out of the way, if I hammer in
opposite direction they will pop out the other end and tear up the
flashing and asphalt cement on top of it, which means I will have to
redo the roofing edge.

Can you grab the heads of the screws with the cutter, but not cut
them?

Then grab them with the cutter and twist the whole cutter when you
have a good grip. You may be able to unscrew them.

You did try a screwdriver? :-)

Bob

The screw heads are protected from above under a layer of asphalt
cement over some metal flashing and tar paper. I am trying to cut
them off from below without disturbing what is above.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 1:29 pm, wrote:
[...]

OK after trying all kinds of solutions (thanks to everyone who helped
out) I had success with the plier to remove some of the nails but the
screws are hard. I am going to try a heavy duty dremel cut off disc
next since I already have a dremel I just need to get some disc and
see. If that does not work I can try a bigger and meaner plier but
there may not be room to fit one of those in the tight space.

So if all else fails, my plan is to just use the plier to "bend" the
screws as much as I can, so instead of sticking out an inch and half
they stick out 3/4 inch after I bend/twist or whatever.

Now the question is, is it ok to nail the fascia board with say a 3/4"
spacing above it from the roof drip? Note that the actual flashing
still covers the fascia by several inches, it is just the top edge
(1"-2" wide) of the fascia not touching the flashing from below. I
can may be spray some expansive foam in the cavity along the whole
length to seal it?

Will that work?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 7, 12:07 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

They are not drywall screws, I think those are galvanized roofing
screws. I am just trying to get them out of the way, if I hammer
in
opposite direction they will pop out the other end and tear up
the
flashing and asphalt cement on top of it, which means I will have
redo the roofing edge.

Can you grab the heads of the screws with the cutter, but not cut
them?

Then grab them with the cutter and twist the whole cutter when you
have a good grip. You may be able to unscrew them.

You did try a screwdriver? :-)

Bob

The screw heads are protected from above under a layer of asphalt
cement over some metal flashing and tar paper. I am trying to cut
them off from below without disturbing what is above.

Is this a situation where you can slip a hacksaw blade up behind the
board and cut them?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 6, 1:29 pm, wrote:
[...]

Why not just drill or notch the fascia board to clear the screws?

Don Young