Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How to remove roofing nails from below?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 6, 1:29 pm, wrote:
I am in the process of replacing some fascia boards that were
damaged. These fascia boards are 1x8 and is nailed to another layer
of 2x12 and they are nailed to the roof and soffit framing.

I am only removing the outer layer of 1x8. There is a "drip" or a
metal flashing that folds down and when they installed the flashing
and asphalt cement roof they screwed the flashing down along the edges
and nailed down in other spots. Now that I removed the fascia boards,
I can see the ends of screws and nails every 4 inches or so sticking
out.

In order for me to install the new fascia boards, I need to get the
screws and nail ends out of the way. Is there a way to address this
without having to redo the flashing above? I really would like to
avoid having to mess with it since it's fine. Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

Angle grinder is my tool of choice for the nails if there's access
room.

What sort of screws? If they're drywall screws you can grab them with
pliers and bend them back and forth and they'll snap off, or you could
give them a couple or three swats with a hammer in opposite directions
- same result.

They are not drywall screws, I think those are galvanized roofing screws. I
am just trying to get them out of the way, if I hammer in opposite direction
they will pop out the other end and tear up the flashing and asphalt cement
on top of it, which means I will have to redo the roofing edge.

MC