Posted to alt.home.repair

Default should roofing nails be rusting this fast???

I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo
complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably
rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of
substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the
property manager??

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah inform the management, idiot roofers may be using sub standard
materials..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"higgins" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo
complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably
rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of
substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the
property manager??

All the roofing nails I've seen looked like aluminum to me... No rust after
MUCH exposure to moisture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

in areas completed normally no nails should be visible..

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

higgins wrote:
I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo
complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably
rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of
substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the
property manager??

Must only be subroofing that was all that was down before the rain if
there are nails showing to begin with. They'll all be covered up w/
the final layer and be dry. I'd not be overly concerned about bright
nail in that application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, IMO, roofers should only be using stainless steel nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.......or galvanized

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, IMO, roofers should only be using stainless steel nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

it is unlikely to cause a long term problem, but everyone else is
right, it shouldn't be doing that if they spent the extra pennies on
roofing nails.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

higgins wrote:
I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo
complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably
rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of
substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the
property manager??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try to look at the box the nails came in. If it says made in China I would
suspect poor galvanizing. I am always suspicious of stuff made in China.
When my 20 year old roof was replaced the old nails had little rust. I live
on the east coast so they were exposed to plenty of moisture.

"higgins" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo
complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably
rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of
substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the
property manager??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Galvanized nails suck and shouldn't be used outdoors. I'ev seen lots
of them rust.

Eibach wrote:
......or galvanized

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, IMO, roofers should only be using stainless steel nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Sep 2006 05:42:42 -0700, "higgins" wrote:

I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo
complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably
rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of
substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the
property manager??

Why can you see the roofing nails? aren't they supposed to be covered
by roofing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Sep 2006 11:02:17 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
Galvanized nails suck and shouldn't be used outdoors. I'ev seen lots
of them rust.

They'll last longer than the shingles will.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:
Try to look at the box the nails came in. If it says made in China I would
suspect poor galvanizing. I am always suspicious of stuff made in China.

(snip)
That's what people used to say about stuff made in Japan once. I'm
guessing that someone used to say the same about stuff made in the US
once upon a time too

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimbo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jeff wrote:
Try to look at the box the nails came in. If it says made in China I
would
suspect poor galvanizing. I am always suspicious of stuff made in China.

(snip)
That's what people used to say about stuff made in Japan once. I'm
guessing that someone used to say the same about stuff made in the US
once upon a time too

People said that about Japan for a couple of reasons. One, they were
prejudiced and needed an excuse to critcise them. Two, the Japanese were
literally coming out of the dark ages in terms of manufacturing and
engineering. It took time for the Japanese to catch up, and it also took
time for racists to find another target. I don't think the situation in
China is the same however. The racism is undoubtedly there, but unlike in
Japan the Chinese are not coming out of the dark ages. They have had the
techniques and skills necessary to develop and design quality goods. They
simply don't because their buyers in the US don't want quality goods - they
want cheap goods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff wrote:
Try to look at the box the nails came in. If it says made in China I would
suspect poor galvanizing. I am always suspicious of stuff made in China.
When my 20 year old roof was replaced the old nails had little rust. I live
on the east coast so they were exposed to plenty of moisture.

So, what country is producing a good quality roofing nail these days?
Are they even manufactured in the USA any more?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Posted to alt.home.repair

thx, folks. I'll make the phone call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, what country is producing a good quality roofing nail these days?
Are they even manufactured in the USA any more?

The USA got out of producing stuff years ago. Thats why there are
millions of abandoned cargo containers here. They cost more to ship
back than they are worth....

Heck we already paid for them

One day this will all come back to bite us BAD!

Posted to alt.home.repair

higgins wrote:
I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo
complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably
rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of
substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the
property manager??

Hmmm,
Rust? Aluminum nails are commonly used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

you must be seeing the rosin coated sheathing nails, they are just plain
steel and they have glue that is heat activated. they rust immediatley. i
have never seen roof nails that weren't either electric galvanised or hot
dipped galvanised in 35 years on the job. i dont think any manufacturer
ever made plain steel roof nails. the best would be either maze double zinc
coated or stainless steel........

are you the roof nail police?

"higgins" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my condo
complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are notably
rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a sign of
substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the attention of the
property manager??

Posted to alt.home.repair

"steve" wrote in
nk.net:

you must be seeing the rosin coated sheathing nails, they are just
plain steel and they have glue that is heat activated. they rust
immediatley. i have never seen roof nails that weren't either
electric galvanised or hot dipped galvanised in 35 years on the job.
i dont think any manufacturer ever made plain steel roof nails. the
best would be either maze double zinc coated or stainless
steel........

are you the roof nail police?

"higgins" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm watching guys replace the roof on an adjacent building in my
condo complex. After a weekend rain, the nails they're using are
notably rusted. Seems like a bad thing to me, but is this normal or a
sign of substandard materials?? ???? Should I call it to the
attention of the property manager??

are you the roof nail police?

LOL. My first thought too! Adjacent building and one can see rust on
nails??? Binoculars? Telescope? Laser rust detector?

i have never seen roof nails that weren't either
electric galvanised or hot dipped galvanised in 35 years on the job.

I noticed Harbor Freight sells **** roofing nails.

"Rust resistant zinc plated".

BTW, you would think after 35 years you could spell galvanized he-he.
But possibly you are using the UK spelling for good reason. Go ahead.
Hit me with "are you the spelling police?".:-)