Posted to rec.woodworking

Default dirty finish nails

I bought a box of finish nails (from the BORG) last week to install
some light-painted crown molding. The nails are labeled "bright" but
are not shiny like they used to be. They are covered with grease or
graphite or something that gives them a dull gray color. The nails
are turning my fingers black and leaves marks on the molding/walls. I
end up washing my hands with Lava soap and cleaning the walls/molding
every two hours. Anyone know about this stuff? I believe it is a
coating to prevent rust but I'm not sure. Finish nails used to be
clean.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
I bought a box of finish nails (from the BORG) last week to install
some light-painted crown molding. The nails are labeled "bright" but
are not shiny like they used to be. They are covered with grease or
graphite or something that gives them a dull gray color. The nails
are turning my fingers black and leaves marks on the molding/walls. I
end up washing my hands with Lava soap and cleaning the walls/molding
every two hours. Anyone know about this stuff? I believe it is a
coating to prevent rust but I'm not sure. Finish nails used to be
clean.

Not all nails are created equally. I see differences in name brand nails
and house or generic brands and this is not limited to finish nails. I
suspect that if you bought a house brand nail that the supplier may have
changed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
I bought a box of finish nails (from the BORG) last week to install
some light-painted crown molding. The nails are labeled "bright" but
are not shiny like they used to be. They are covered with grease or
graphite or something that gives them a dull gray color. The nails
are turning my fingers black and leaves marks on the molding/walls. I
end up washing my hands with Lava soap and cleaning the walls/molding
every two hours. Anyone know about this stuff? I believe it is a
coating to prevent rust but I'm not sure. Finish nails used to be
clean.

Probably its similar to the yucky black stuff on black iron pipe,
leftover lubricant from the manufacturing process.

You've probably seen the cement used on sinkers, it isn't that,
is it.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Phisherman wrote:
I bought a box of finish nails (from the BORG) last week to install
some light-painted crown molding. The nails are labeled "bright" but
are not shiny like they used to be. They are covered with grease or
graphite or something that gives them a dull gray color. The nails
are turning my fingers black and leaves marks on the molding/walls. I
end up washing my hands with Lava soap and cleaning the walls/molding
every two hours. Anyone know about this stuff? I believe it is a
coating to prevent rust but I'm not sure. Finish nails used to be
clean.

Probably its similar to the yucky black stuff on black iron pipe,
leftover lubricant from the manufacturing process.

You've probably seen the cement used on sinkers, it isn't that,
is it.

--

FF

Had the same experience. Dirty hands, and worse, dirty molding. Laid the
nails on a paper towel, poured on a little paint thinner. Rubbed
with another towel. Cleaned them up fine.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Meyer" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Which is why I buy my nails from the lumber store. They are cheaper, better
quality and I can buy the quantity I want.

Posted to rec.woodworking

'Phish' . . .

Let me take a crack at this . . .

I use screws {typically Stainless & 'square drive'}rather then nails,
however I still 'wander the aisle's at the local Blue & Orange 'Borg's ' .
Whether it is there, or any of the great 'America Brand' stores, you can't
help but notice that more & more items are 'Made in China'. {Sometimes you
have to be a bit 'paranoid' and look at the fine print . . . but it's
there}. It has always bothered me that so much simple, yet HEAVY, stuff
could be so cheap . . . considering the cost of long distance shipping.

I order my 'square drive' screws McFeeley's. They are very 'up front' in
their catalog descriptions . . . and where an item may come from. Also how
they are prepped for shipment. Steel screws are a relatively 'simple' item .
.. . nails even more so. Yet they are inherently 'heavy'. 'Sea Shipment' - to
paraphrase . . .the proverbial 'Slow boat *from* China' - is the most
cost-efficient. One of the 'preps' is a coating to prevent rusting during
the voyage. THAT may be what is on the 'dirty' nails. {No matter what brand
name is on the box !!}

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
I bought a box of finish nails (from the BORG) last week to install
some light-painted crown molding. The nails are labeled "bright" but
are not shiny like they used to be. They are covered with grease or
graphite or something that gives them a dull gray color. The nails
are turning my fingers black and leaves marks on the molding/walls. I
end up washing my hands with Lava soap and cleaning the walls/molding
every two hours. Anyone know about this stuff? I believe it is a
coating to prevent rust but I'm not sure. Finish nails used to be
clean.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:04:35 -0700, "Bob Meyer"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob. I rinsed 5 pounds of nails three times in paint thinner,
dumped them into a bucket of sawdust, then retrieved the nails with a
giant magnet. Now my finish nails and painted molding are clean.
After 30 years of woodworking this is a first washing finishing nails.
Learn something new everyday.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron, The nail I bought are indeed "Made in China" and I won't be
buying any more of those. I need to put together an order from
McFeeley's. Life is too short to be cleaning dirty fasteners! Clothes
and shoes "Made in China" is fine but I'm staying away from metal
items made from there from now on. Thanks.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:23:39 GMT, "Ron Magen"
wrote:

[...]

Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber [email protected] Woodworking 6 April 21st 06 11:20 AM
Finish Nailer nails balboni Home Repair 1 January 24th 06 06:20 AM
How to Touch Up Wood Finish? [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 04:40 PM
Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM