Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nmbexcuse@hotmail.com is offline

Default How to remove roofing nails from below?

On Jun 6, 1:29 pm, wrote:
I am in the process of replacing some fascia boards that were
damaged. These fascia boards are 1x8 and is nailed to another layer
of 2x12 and they are nailed to the roof and soffit framing.

I am only removing the outer layer of 1x8. There is a "drip" or a
metal flashing that folds down and when they installed the flashing
and asphalt cement roof they screwed the flashing down along the edges
and nailed down in other spots. Now that I removed the fascia boards,
I can see the ends of screws and nails every 4 inches or so sticking
out.

In order for me to install the new fascia boards, I need to get the
screws and nail ends out of the way. Is there a way to address this
without having to redo the flashing above? I really would like to
avoid having to mess with it since it's fine. Is there a tool that
would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a
tight space?

Thanks in advance,

MC

OK after trying all kinds of solutions (thanks to everyone who helped
out) I had success with the plier to remove some of the nails but the
screws are hard. I am going to try a heavy duty dremel cut off disc
next since I already have a dremel I just need to get some disc and
see. If that does not work I can try a bigger and meaner plier but
there may not be room to fit one of those in the tight space.

So if all else fails, my plan is to just use the plier to "bend" the
screws as much as I can, so instead of sticking out an inch and half
they stick out 3/4 inch after I bend/twist or whatever.

Now the question is, is it ok to nail the fascia board with say a 3/4"
spacing above it from the roof drip? Note that the actual flashing
still covers the fascia by several inches, it is just the top edge
(1"-2" wide) of the fascia not touching the flashing from below. I
can may be spray some expansive foam in the cavity along the whole
length to seal it?

Will that work?

MC