Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot galvanized roofing nails

Do they exist anymore? All I can find are boxes of cheap electroplated
roofing nails imported from China.

I've checked at every hardware and lumber store in town, including the
ones that used to weigh out bulk nails. Thursday, I was at a Habitat
for Humanity work site; someone left the roofing nails outside and they
got wet and rusted to uselessness in a week. (I was looking for good
nails before this, but I didn't think even *bright* nails would rust
that fast.)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:10:23 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Do they exist anymore? All I can find are boxes of cheap electroplated
roofing nails imported from China.

I've checked at every hardware and lumber store in town, including the
ones that used to weigh out bulk nails. Thursday, I was at a Habitat
for Humanity work site; someone left the roofing nails outside and they
got wet and rusted to uselessness in a week. (I was looking for good
nails before this, but I didn't think even *bright* nails would rust
that fast.)

Bob

They're easy to find in coils for roofing nailers; not easy to find in
bulk. You might be better off looking for stainless steel, although
they are pricey. you could probably buy coil nails and a nailer for
what you'd pay extra for SS.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
Do they exist anymore? All I can find are boxes of cheap electroplated
roofing nails imported from China.

I've checked at every hardware and lumber store in town, including the
ones that used to weigh out bulk nails. Thursday, I was at a Habitat
for Humanity work site; someone left the roofing nails outside and they
got wet and rusted to uselessness in a week. (I was looking for good
nails before this, but I didn't think even *bright* nails would rust
that fast.)

Bob

online is your best bet

http://www.mazenails.com/catalog/cat...GE20&group=RFG

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do they exist anymore? All I can find are boxes of cheap electroplated
roofing nails imported from China.

I've checked at every hardware and lumber store in town, including the
ones that used to weigh out bulk nails. Thursday, I was at a Habitat
for Humanity work site; someone left the roofing nails outside and they
got wet and rusted to uselessness in a week. (I was looking for good
nails before this, but I didn't think even *bright* nails would rust
that fast.)

Bob

They're easy to find in coils for roofing nailers; not easy to find in
bulk. You might be better off looking for stainless steel, although
they are pricey. you could probably buy coil nails and a nailer for
what you'd pay extra for SS.

HTH,

Paul

Thanks. I may buy a box of 'em and have my kid cut them apart for me
while she watches TV. (I'm not doing a roof, I only need a couple of
pounds to put up cement board in a wet area.)

I have some galvanized ring-shank nails for my framing nailer. I don't
remember exactly what kind of nails they are, but they are just the
right size except the heads are smaller. I wonder if they might work...

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The ring shanked nails would probably work better
and you can buy all kinds of those with and
without the rubber sealer used with corrugated
plastic sheets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:10:23 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

Do they exist anymore? All I can find are boxes of cheap electroplated
roofing nails imported from China.

I've checked at every hardware and lumber store in town, including the
ones that used to weigh out bulk nails.

I'm surprised that you can't find them. Where do you live? Usually, any
hardware store that has bulk nails has them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote in news:4rmp1iFsbnv5U1
@mid.individual.net:

Do they exist anymore? All I can find are boxes of cheap electroplated
roofing nails imported from China.

I've checked at every hardware and lumber store in town, including the
ones that used to weigh out bulk nails. Thursday, I was at a Habitat
for Humanity work site; someone left the roofing nails outside and they
got wet and rusted to uselessness in a week. (I was looking for good
nails before this, but I didn't think even *bright* nails would rust
that fast.)

Bob

I've seen both hot dip galv and electro ones at HD. Box is clearly
labeled. The electro ones are NG for the new PT lumber.

left the roofing nails outside and they
got wet and rusted to uselessness in a week.

Those may have been the cheap-ass zinc plated ones. I've seen them
advertised on Harbor Freight.