Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber

Hi

I wanted to get recommendations on what fasteners to use to build a
fence of ACQ pressure treated southern yellow pine lumber.

For attaching the rails to the posts, I am thinking of using 3" long
nails/screws and for attaching pickets to rails, using 1 3/8" long
nails/screws.

There seem to be at least 4 choices at the local hardware store, along
with rough costs for the number of nails/screws I need.

1. Hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails - $48
2. Hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails - $66
3. Deckmate coated (not galvanized but supposed to hold up outdoor)
screws - $150
4. Stainless steel screws - $300

The local hardware store sales person said I should NOT use the hot
dipped galvanized smooth shank nails as the pickets/rails would come
out as the wood shrinks. He recommended at least using the hot dipped
galvanized ring shank nails - with this he expected I would get approx
8-10 years on ACQ pine if the pine was not sealed/stained after
installation, and 10-15 years if the ACQ pine was sealed/stained. He
also said going up to Deckmate coated screws would be better and
Stainless steel screws the best. I was given to understand by the
hardware sales person that even hot dipped galvanized nails (smooth or
ring shank) would rust after a few years. Further the sales person said
that ACQ pressure treated lumber would probably start rotting in 10-15
years.

I was thinking of using the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails,
given the 10-15 years life of the ACQ pine lumber, the screw/nail
material costs above and much higher labor costs involved with using
screws.

I having this built by a handyman who will build the fence but I am
providing the materials. The handyman is suggesting I should use the
hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 1 3/8" for attaching pickets to
the rails. Wrt attaching the rails to the posts, the handy man is
suggesting NOT to use the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 3"
but to use the regular hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails 3".

Any recommendations on which fasteners I should buy and have the
handyman use.

Thanks
Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ

wrote in message ups.com...
| Hi
|
| I wanted to get recommendations on what fasteners to use to build a
| fence of ACQ pressure treated southern yellow pine lumber.
|
| For attaching the rails to the posts, I am thinking of using 3" long
| nails/screws and for attaching pickets to rails, using 1 3/8" long
| nails/screws.
|
| There seem to be at least 4 choices at the local hardware store, along
| with rough costs for the number of nails/screws I need.
|
| 1. Hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails - $48
| 2. Hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails - $66
| 3. Deckmate coated (not galvanized but supposed to hold up outdoor)
| screws - $150
| 4. Stainless steel screws - $300
|
| The local hardware store sales person said I should NOT use the hot
| dipped galvanized smooth shank nails as the pickets/rails would come
| out as the wood shrinks. He recommended at least using the hot dipped
| galvanized ring shank nails - with this he expected I would get approx
| 8-10 years on ACQ pine if the pine was not sealed/stained after
| installation, and 10-15 years if the ACQ pine was sealed/stained. He
| also said going up to Deckmate coated screws would be better and
| Stainless steel screws the best. I was given to understand by the
| hardware sales person that even hot dipped galvanized nails (smooth or
| ring shank) would rust after a few years. Further the sales person said
| that ACQ pressure treated lumber would probably start rotting in 10-15
| years.
|
| I was thinking of using the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails,
| given the 10-15 years life of the ACQ pine lumber, the screw/nail
| material costs above and much higher labor costs involved with using
| screws.
|
| I having this built by a handyman who will build the fence but I am
| providing the materials. The handyman is suggesting I should use the
| hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 1 3/8" for attaching pickets to
| the rails. Wrt attaching the rails to the posts, the handy man is
| suggesting NOT to use the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 3"
| but to use the regular hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails 3".
|
| Any recommendations on which fasteners I should buy and have the
| handyman use.
|
| Thanks
| Bob

If you can afford it, stainless steel. They do not rust, and they can be had in an aggressive twist which will hold the wood better.

I have those really good dipped screws in my deck and, after 5 years in cedar, they are almost eaten in half. I know this because I had to replace some boards when my TV tower decided to fall over.

--
PDQ

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...

Snip

I was thinking of using the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails,
given the 10-15 years life of the ACQ pine lumber, the screw/nail
material costs above and much higher labor costs involved with using
screws.

I having this built by a handyman who will build the fence but I am
providing the materials. The handyman is suggesting I should use the
hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 1 3/8" for attaching pickets to
the rails. Wrt attaching the rails to the posts, the handy man is
suggesting NOT to use the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 3"
but to use the regular hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails 3".

Any recommendations on which fasteners I should buy and have the
handyman use.

Keep in mind that several of the treated pine pickets will warp as they dry
out. Cedar pickets will last almost as long with far fewer warps but will
generally cost twice as much. The cedar will look better longer than the
treated.

Screws have the advantage of easy removal and that is about it. Good if you
are not handy with a hammer when you decide to replace some of the warped
boards. I prefer the galvanized ring shank nails for the pickets and
galvanized for the rails. I always use electroplated galvanized nails as I
always use a nail gun.

Consider also adding a treated 1x6 on the bottom under the pickets. Let the
pickets set on top of rail. This keeps the pickets off the ground so that
they do not wick moisture up through the bottoms and also saves labor time
as this board provides a level surface to set the pickets on and the pickets
go up much faster with less measuring. Last I would also advise to
consider a 3rd middle rail. This will help prevent the pickets that are
going to warp from warping as badly and adds strength to the fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

wrote:
[...]

scews.

;
I have wondered about galvanized nails having seen the zinc flake off
the heads while driving it in. My fence has galvanized screws but now
usually use SS square drive screws. Stainless is softer than regular
steel and the head will strip if you don't keep pressure on the driver.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad
at math.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Kendrick

A cordless impact driver is just the ticket for the softer SS screw
slots.

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:58:06 -0400, Gerald Ross

Hi

I wanted to get recommendations on what fasteners to use to build a
fence of ACQ pressure treated southern yellow pine lumber.

;
I have wondered about galvanized nails having seen the zinc flake off
the heads while driving it in. My fence has galvanized screws but now
usually use SS square drive screws. Stainless is softer than regular
steel and the head will strip if you don't keep pressure on the driver.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

You didn't mention spiral flute nails. Those won't work loose. Only use
one per picket to prevent shrinking and splitting. Built 250 ft. of
fence five years ago and there's not a loose picket anywhere. I
recommend a coat of clear sealer for maintenance every year or two
depending on your climate.
Bugs

yellow pine fence Warlock Home Repair 9 March 1st 06 11:24 PM
Old Heartwood Southern Yellow Pine Barry Woodworking 7 August 22nd 05 02:48 PM
White pine vs. Yellow pine PVR Woodworking 13 April 24th 05 05:19 PM
trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 08:59 PM
Woodbench top - Southern yellow pine Mike LaViolette Woodworking 10 October 24th 04 12:56 AM