Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ

Default Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber

wrote in message ups.com...
| Hi
|
| I wanted to get recommendations on what fasteners to use to build a
| fence of ACQ pressure treated southern yellow pine lumber.
|
| For attaching the rails to the posts, I am thinking of using 3" long
| nails/screws and for attaching pickets to rails, using 1 3/8" long
| nails/screws.
|
| There seem to be at least 4 choices at the local hardware store, along
| with rough costs for the number of nails/screws I need.
|
| 1. Hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails - $48
| 2. Hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails - $66
| 3. Deckmate coated (not galvanized but supposed to hold up outdoor)
| screws - $150
| 4. Stainless steel screws - $300
|
| The local hardware store sales person said I should NOT use the hot
| dipped galvanized smooth shank nails as the pickets/rails would come
| out as the wood shrinks. He recommended at least using the hot dipped
| galvanized ring shank nails - with this he expected I would get approx
| 8-10 years on ACQ pine if the pine was not sealed/stained after
| installation, and 10-15 years if the ACQ pine was sealed/stained. He
| also said going up to Deckmate coated screws would be better and
| Stainless steel screws the best. I was given to understand by the
| hardware sales person that even hot dipped galvanized nails (smooth or
| ring shank) would rust after a few years. Further the sales person said
| that ACQ pressure treated lumber would probably start rotting in 10-15
| years.
|
| I was thinking of using the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails,
| given the 10-15 years life of the ACQ pine lumber, the screw/nail
| material costs above and much higher labor costs involved with using
| screws.
|
| I having this built by a handyman who will build the fence but I am
| providing the materials. The handyman is suggesting I should use the
| hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 1 3/8" for attaching pickets to
| the rails. Wrt attaching the rails to the posts, the handy man is
| suggesting NOT to use the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 3"
| but to use the regular hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails 3".
|
| Any recommendations on which fasteners I should buy and have the
| handyman use.
|
| Thanks
| Bob

If you can afford it, stainless steel. They do not rust, and they can be had in an aggressive twist which will hold the wood better.

I have those really good dipped screws in my deck and, after 5 years in cedar, they are almost eaten in half. I know this because I had to replace some boards when my TV tower decided to fall over.

--
PDQ