Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber

wrote:
snip

There seem to be at least 4 choices at the local hardware store, along
with rough costs for the number of nails/screws I need.

1. Hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails - $48
2. Hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails - $66
3. Deckmate coated (not galvanized but supposed to hold up outdoor)
screws - $150
4. Stainless steel screws - $300

snip

I was thinking of using the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails,
given the 10-15 years life of the ACQ pine lumber, the screw/nail
material costs above and much higher labor costs involved with using
screws.

I having this built by a handyman who will build the fence but I am
providing the materials.

snip
Thanks
Bob

It would seem to me that the higher initial investment in materials and
labor will be well worth it in the long run. I'm a big proponent of
"Buy the last one first."

Having said that, my vote obviously is for screws, probably stainless.

-Phil Crow