Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Hot galvanized roofing nails

zxcvbob wrote:
Paul Franklin wrote:
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:10:23 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Do they exist anymore? All I can find are boxes of cheap
electroplated roofing nails imported from China.

I've checked at every hardware and lumber store in town, including
the ones that used to weigh out bulk nails. Thursday, I was at a
Habitat for Humanity work site; someone left the roofing nails
outside and they got wet and rusted to uselessness in a week. (I was
looking for good nails before this, but I didn't think even *bright*
nails would rust that fast.)

Bob

They're easy to find in coils for roofing nailers; not easy to find in
bulk. You might be better off looking for stainless steel, although
they are pricey. you could probably buy coil nails and a nailer for
what you'd pay extra for SS.
HTH,

Paul

Thanks. I may buy a box of 'em and have my kid cut them apart for me
while she watches TV. (I'm not doing a roof, I only need a couple of
pounds to put up cement board in a wet area.)

I have some galvanized ring-shank nails for my framing nailer. I don't
remember exactly what kind of nails they are, but they are just the
right size except the heads are smaller. I wonder if they might work...

Bob

The ring shanked nails would probably work better
and you can buy all kinds of those with and
without the rubber sealer used with corrugated
plastic sheets.