Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

Default Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber

Hi

I wanted to get recommendations on what fasteners to use to build a
fence of ACQ pressure treated southern yellow pine lumber.

For attaching the rails to the posts, I am thinking of using 3" long
nails/screws and for attaching pickets to rails, using 1 3/8" long
nails/screws.

There seem to be at least 4 choices at the local hardware store, along
with rough costs for the number of nails/screws I need.

1. Hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails - $48
2. Hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails - $66
3. Deckmate coated (not galvanized but supposed to hold up outdoor)
screws - $150
4. Stainless steel screws - $300

The local hardware store sales person said I should NOT use the hot
dipped galvanized smooth shank nails as the pickets/rails would come
out as the wood shrinks. He recommended at least using the hot dipped
galvanized ring shank nails - with this he expected I would get approx
8-10 years on ACQ pine if the pine was not sealed/stained after
installation, and 10-15 years if the ACQ pine was sealed/stained. He
also said going up to Deckmate coated screws would be better and
Stainless steel screws the best. I was given to understand by the
hardware sales person that even hot dipped galvanized nails (smooth or
ring shank) would rust after a few years. Further the sales person said

that ACQ pressure treated lumber would probably start rotting in 10-15
years.

I was thinking of using the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails,
given the 10-15 years life of the ACQ pine lumber, the screw/nail
material costs above and much higher labor costs involved with using
screws.

I having this built by a handyman who will build the fence but I am
providing the materials. The handyman is suggesting I should use the
hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 1 3/8" for attaching pickets to
the rails. Wrt attaching the rails to the posts, the handy man is
suggesting NOT to use the hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails 3"
but to use the regular hot dipped galvanized smooth shank nails 3".

Any recommendations on which fasteners I should buy and have the
handyman use.

Thanks
Bob

yellow pine fence Warlock Home Repair 9 March 1st 06 11:24 PM
Old Heartwood Southern Yellow Pine Barry Woodworking 7 August 22nd 05 02:48 PM
White pine vs. Yellow pine PVR Woodworking 13 April 24th 05 05:19 PM
trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 08:59 PM
Woodbench top - Southern yellow pine Mike LaViolette Woodworking 10 October 24th 04 12:56 AM