Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Went to Lowe's today ...........

Holy Crap!

It's like back in the seventies when the Moonies came running up to you, all
smiling.

I don't think I passed an employee that didn't say hello to me. Sheesh, I
think I'll just go there on the days when I'm not feeling well, but don't
need anything.

I ended up spending $464, and all we went in for were sprinkler plugs and
wire nuts. Oh, yeah, took in a Eureka yellow POS $49 vacuum that was
worthless. Wifey found a nice new vacuum for $200. Rang up at $229, and
the manager came over and gave us a ten buck gift card.

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

I as well am preferring Lowes when possible. The stores are much cleaner
and organized than any HD I've ever been in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

Frank Ketchum wrote:

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

I as well am preferring Lowes when possible. The stores are much cleaner
and organized than any HD I've ever been in.

From April through June, Discover Card is giving a 5% cashback bonus on
all charges made at Lowe's. (But you gotta be signed up for the 5%
program with Discover Card to get it.)

http://www.discovercard.com/discover...wd_nap _enr_1

or

http://tinyurl.com/287en2

P.S. In my last trip to Lowe's I left after 15 minutes of waiting for
an employee to come to the plumbing department -- even after two PA
system calls. Yesterday in Home Depot I saw THREE employees that didn't
have lines of customers waiting for service. I'm still partial to HD
myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BZ" wrote in message
Frank Ketchum wrote:

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

P.S. In my last trip to Lowe's I left after 15 minutes of waiting for an
employee to come to the plumbing department -- even after two PA system
calls. Yesterday in Home Depot I saw THREE employees that didn't have
lines of customers waiting for service. I'm still partial to HD myself.

That sort of thing happens in every store at different times. Much depends
on the area you live in as well as the individual manager. Sometimes HD has
the advantage, a few towns over, Lowes is the better place. In most places,
neither one is very good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
Holy Crap!

It's like back in the seventies when the Moonies came running up to you,
all smiling.

I don't think I passed an employee that didn't say hello to me. Sheesh, I
think I'll just go there on the days when I'm not feeling well, but don't
need anything.

I ended up spending $464, and all we went in for were sprinkler plugs and
wire nuts. Oh, yeah, took in a Eureka yellow POS $49 vacuum that was
worthless. Wifey found a nice new vacuum for $200. Rang up at $229, and
the manager came over and gave us a ten buck gift card.

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

Steve

I tend to avoid HD when at all possible and prefer shopping at Lowe's.
Actually I prefer shopping at local lumber yards, but those don't sell the
other stuff I need.

I don't have a problem with HD because of the store per se, but rather the
clientele. It's a entire store filled with soccer moms (and kids in tow),
trendy 30 something couples, and clueless idiots.

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Steve B wrote:

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

When a Lowes opened in Sunnyvale, CA, I eagerly went there hoping for
some real competition to HD.
Unfortunately, it was such a disaster that I will never set
foot in there again. Each day a different person claiming to
be the store manager would promise some corrective action,
but not communicate it to anyone, or to the next "store manager".
There was complete incompetence at all levels from the cashier
up to the store manager.
I could write pages and pages of all the screw ups and things that
went wrong, but I will save my fingers and not.
They made HD (which is not great) look very good. From what I have
read here, I am sure that there are other Lowes that are much better,
but not in Sunnyvale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:
Steve B wrote:

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

When a Lowes opened in Sunnyvale, CA, I eagerly went there hoping for
some real competition to HD.

It already exists. We built a deck and I simply brought the bill of
materials to the local mom & pop lumber yard and 2 days later there was
a stack of quality material in the driveway. No sorting through piles of
lower quality lumber hoping to find good stuff and the price was less.

Unfortunately, it was such a disaster that I will never set
foot in there again. Each day a different person claiming to
be the store manager would promise some corrective action,
but not communicate it to anyone, or to the next "store manager".
There was complete incompetence at all levels from the cashier
up to the store manager.
I could write pages and pages of all the screw ups and things that
went wrong, but I will save my fingers and not.
They made HD (which is not great) look very good. From what I have
read here, I am sure that there are other Lowes that are much better,
but not in Sunnyvale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

M Q wrote:

Steve B wrote:

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

When a Lowes opened in Sunnyvale, CA, I eagerly went there hoping for
some real competition to HD.

It already exists. We built a deck and I simply brought the bill of
materials to the local mom & pop lumber yard and 2 days later there was
a stack of quality material in the driveway. No sorting through piles of
lower quality lumber hoping to find good stuff and the price was less.

I have to agree. I had a big deck railing project 2 years ago that the
plans included 168 of the pre-cut spindles, as well as 2x10's for steps,
& all the railing lumber - 2x8's 2x6's, 2x4's, 4x4's. All pressure treated.

I oredered the exact amount needed from Foley Lumber in Old Forge, NY.

Not a single bad board or spindle in the entire load that was DELIVERED
free to the worksite two towns over. No waste, no leftovers. They have
had my business since.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...
George wrote:

M Q wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

I wonder if this is a trend for the next decades. The big boxes ran the mom
and pops out, and now, the mom and pops are making a comeback, and not even
having to advertise or look for customers.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...

George wrote:

M Q wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Where they are located, I use the 84 Lumber yards too. Very competitive
pricing, delivery, & good product knowledge.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...
George wrote:

M Q wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

I wish there was a mom'n'pop left around here- closest we have left is 84
lumber, which seems to be down to pole barn and kit/tract house supplies
now, doesn't even pretend to be full-line.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...
George wrote:

M Q wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

I think its a reaction to the big box stores. The handyman types don't like
those stores because of either the clientele or the atmosphere in them. So
they seek out the stores that cater to them. I've been going to Dunn Lumber
more and more - used to be a "big box" style store way before that was in
vogue, then it got forced out by Eagle, then Lowe's/HD, now it seems to be
making a comeback as a contractor/DIY store for people who know exactly what
they want. They don't have hardware, but if I need lumber or fittings they
have quality stuff - no 2x4 pretzels there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in

I think its a reaction to the big box stores. The handyman types don't
like those stores because of either the clientele or the atmosphere in
them. So they seek out the stores that cater to them. I've been going to
Dunn Lumber more and more - used to be a "big box" style store way before
that was in vogue, then it got forced out by Eagle, then Lowe's/HD, now it
seems to be making a comeback as a contractor/DIY store for people who
know exactly what they want. They don't have hardware, but if I need
lumber or fittings they have quality stuff - no 2x4 pretzels there.

And really. HONESTLY now, everyone.

Isn't it a lot more fun to go to the Mom and Pop Hardware and Tack Supply
Store?

You get to talk with Morry (insert the name of your favorite hardware geek),
and he calls YOU by your first name, too.

He'll guide you to what you want, or a very plausible alternative. (Mainly
because he knows his ****.)

And along the way, there's banter about the weather, what AlGore's latest
is, or where the fish are biting.

Big deal that you went there for a nineteen cent threaded 1/2" PVC cap. You
get ten dollars worth of entertainment.

Doing the same thing at the Borg is like running The Gauntlet. Parking 1/4
mile to the Sprinkler aisle. And then, at the end, the ONLY empty bin in
the whole aisle is ..........

Guess What?

Yep.

Or you go to ring it up, and there's a half an hour delay because the SKU
isn't right, and the pimply cashier won't take YOUR untrustworthy word that
it's REALLY nineteen cents because he/she/it explains that they could be
fired for ringing it up without a SKU, and that requires a manager's
approval? (He's currently in back giving physicals to the new crop of
female employee applicants.)

And now a quarter mile back to the truck.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

Isn't it a lot more fun to go to the Mom and Pop Hardware and Tack Supply
Store?

You get to talk with Morry (insert the name of your favorite hardware
geek), and he calls YOU by your first name, too.

He'll guide you to what you want, or a very plausible alternative.
(Mainly because he knows his ****.)

And when you need a part for a faucet that was discontinued 20 years ago,
he'll tell you to go down the basement steps and look at the rack on the
left. When you find it, there will be some dust on it, the price sticker
has faded and you can barely make out the 79¢ it is marked and that is what
you will pay in spite of the fact it is the last one in existence and would
go for $25 on Ebay.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Frank Ketchum wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

I as well am preferring Lowes when possible. The stores are much cleaner
and organized than any HD I've ever been in.

Same here. But HD tends to have better locations (at least around here).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 01:24:46 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

And when you need a part for a faucet that was discontinued 20 years ago,
he'll tell you to go down the basement steps and look at the rack on the
left. When you find it, there will be some dust on it, the price sticker
has faded and you can barely make out the 79¢ it is marked and that is what
you will pay in spite of the fact it is the last one in existence and would
go for $25 on Ebay.

I know this can happen.

But maybe not all the time.... Remember when I was looking for a
3-prong surface mount receptacle? I found 2 of them at my pop store,
but the price was about 10 dollars. I think they were 2 dollars until
they stopped making them.

Followup: I couldn't decide whether to buy 1 or 2 of the things
above. Two was going to be more than 20 dollars. I ended up deciding
that I had finally found a place for those outlet strips that they
started selling 15 years ago or so, about the time personal computers
became popular. I have 3 I don't know what to do with, and found one
with 7 outlets, 2 covered by the wall wart for the burglar alarm, 2 by
the wart for the 18 volt siren driver, one for the sump pump, and 2
for the wart if I install a battery backup sumppump.

I still feel like buying one since they are so hard to find, but I
have 3 2-prong surface mount that I turned into extension cords. I
can always use one of those for most purposes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in

I think its a reaction to the big box stores. The handyman types don't
like those stores because of either the clientele or the atmosphere in
them. So they seek out the stores that cater to them. I've been going to
Dunn Lumber more and more - used to be a "big box" style store way before
that was in vogue, then it got forced out by Eagle, then Lowe's/HD, now it
seems to be making a comeback as a contractor/DIY store for people who
know exactly what they want. They don't have hardware, but if I need
lumber or fittings they have quality stuff - no 2x4 pretzels there.

And really. HONESTLY now, everyone.

Isn't it a lot more fun to go to the Mom and Pop Hardware and Tack Supply
Store?

Absolutely NOT.

You get to talk with Morry (insert the name of your favorite hardware geek),
and he calls YOU by your first name, too.

I prefer not to know anything about my "hardware geeks" or any grunt
who's selling me something and that includes waiters, used car
salesmen, and anyone else who thinks he's my buddy. Calling me by my
first name is even worse. My first name is reserved for my friends and
peers; everyone else calls me Mr. [insert name], especially those with
whom I have a business arrangement. People who call you by your first
name are treating you as a child or other inferior. It's no accident
that slaves were all called by their first name as were servants.

He'll guide you to what you want, or a very plausible alternative. (Mainly
because he knows his ****.)

He knows no more than the grunt at Lowes; in fact his last job was at
Lowes but he was fired for goofing off. Given the paucity of customers
he can goof off much more often at the hardware store. Or, he's way
behind the times and whatever you want "Doesn't exist".

And along the way, there's banter about the weather, what AlGore's latest
is, or where the fish are biting.

Sheesh. I'm not the slightest bit interested in his views on anything.

Big deal that you went there for a nineteen cent threaded 1/2" PVC cap. You
get ten dollars worth of entertainment.

My time is more valuable. It's exactly that sort of "entertainment"
that did in the corner grocer and is probably responsible for the
death of most of the hardware stores (at least the ones you describe).
Someone has to pay for all that yak yak... oops...entertainment.

Doing the same thing at the Borg is like running The Gauntlet. Parking 1/4
mile to the Sprinkler aisle.

Oh yeah. No parking within ten blocks of the hardware store and even
if you're prepared to walk you still have to drive around the block a
few times to find a space.

And then, at the end, the ONLY empty bin in
the whole aisle is ..........

Happens everywhere.

Or you go to ring it up, and there's a half an hour delay because the SKU
isn't right, and the pimply cashier won't take YOUR untrustworthy word that
it's REALLY nineteen cents because he/she/it explains that they could be
fired for ringing it up without a SKU, and that requires a manager's
approval? (He's currently in back giving physicals to the new crop of
female employee applicants.)

You could save yourself the half-hour by simply making sure the item
has an SKU on it when you take it off the shelf.

The pimply cashier probably makes a bit over minimum wage. It sounds
like you'd like the highly paid tradesman (who knows the prices)
ringing you up. We had that back in the days of the corner grocer too
and that's why we all go to supermarkets now.

And now a quarter mile back to the truck.

And 10 blocks back to...oh, you have a truck... I guess you're one of
those tradespersons who'd like the rest of us to pay for your gossip
and having your butt wiped by the small business owner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:
Frank Ketchum wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

I as well am preferring Lowes when possible. The stores are much
cleaner and organized than any HD I've ever been in.

Same here. But HD tends to have better locations (at least around
here).

Location is a huge factor no doubt. Concerning the big-box versus mom & pop I
have all three; Lowes, HD, and a HandyMan, with no more than 50 yards different
on the distances (I could easily walk to any of them).

I believe each have their pros/cons but traditionally I gave the nod to the
HandyMan for one main reason. CHECKING OUT! The big boxes never have enough
lanes open, always have long lines and (for some freakin reason) require that
you enter way the hell at this end of the building, but check out way the hell
at the other end.

The exception to that is Lowes lumber area which has entrance, exit, and
checkout all together. Not much help if I'm buying anything but lumber though.

What is really threatening HandyMan with my business lately is the fact that
both big boxes have put in self checkout. Now when just grabbing that carryable
bunch of small items they are just as fast or faster for me to get in and out.
If this is a quick run in the middle of a project speed of in & out is my
primary concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

Isn't it a lot more fun to go to the Mom and Pop Hardware and Tack Supply
Store?

You get to talk with Morry (insert the name of your favorite hardware
geek), and he calls YOU by your first name, too.

He'll guide you to what you want, or a very plausible alternative.
(Mainly because he knows his ****.)

And when you need a part for a faucet that was discontinued 20 years ago,
he'll tell you to go down the basement steps and look at the rack on the
left. When you find it, there will be some dust on it, the price sticker
has faded and you can barely make out the 79¢ it is marked and that is
what you will pay in spite of the fact it is the last one in existence and
would go for $25 on Ebay.

I see you know Morry.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in

[...]

Thank you, Mr. Congeniality.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:35:29 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Holy Crap!

It's like back in the seventies when the Moonies came running up to you, all
smiling.

I don't think I passed an employee that didn't say hello to me. Sheesh, I
think I'll just go there on the days when I'm not feeling well, but don't
need anything.

I ended up spending $464, and all we went in for were sprinkler plugs and
wire nuts. Oh, yeah, took in a Eureka yellow POS $49 vacuum that was
worthless. Wifey found a nice new vacuum for $200. Rang up at $229, and
the manager came over and gave us a ten buck gift card.

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

Steve

IMHO:

Ah you are now a part of the club. I like my lowes for a couple
of things. They seem to hire people with friendly attitudes. IMHO,
Big Orange tries to hire 'trades people', but I rather get an "I don't
know" from a lowes person to my question, than advice on how to burn
down my house with my family in it from an orange apron wearing fool.
Not happy with advice from people not actually doing the work.

Lowes rocks, plus they seem to hire younger people that move much
quicker when you need something.

Just my options....

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
Posted to alt.home.repair

You sure you don't live next door to me? That was spooky....

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Steve B" wrote in message
:
: Or you go to ring it up, and there's a half an hour delay
because the SKU
: isn't right, and the pimply cashier won't take YOUR
untrustworthy word that
: it's REALLY nineteen cents because he/she/it explains that they
could be
: fired for ringing it up without a SKU, and that requires a
manager's
: approval? (He's currently in back giving physicals to the new
crop of
: female employee applicants.)
:
: And now a quarter mile back to the truck.
:
: Steve
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Went to Lowe's ugly sister today ...........

Yeah, that was 1956 dollars, you realize.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
:
: And when you need a part for a faucet that was discontinued 20
years ago,
: he'll tell you to go down the basement steps and look at the
rack on the
: left. When you find it, there will be some dust on it, the
price sticker
: has faded and you can barely make out the 79¢ it is marked and
that is what
: you will pay in spite of the fact it is the last one in
existence and would
: go for $25 on Ebay.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

Just Joshin wrote:

Ah you are now a part of the club. I like my lowes for a couple
of things. They seem to hire people with friendly attitudes. IMHO,
Big Orange tries to hire 'trades people', but I rather get an "I don't
know" from a lowes person to my question, than advice on how to burn
down my house with my family in it from an orange apron wearing fool.
Not happy with advice from people not actually doing the work.

Lowes rocks, plus they seem to hire younger people that move much
quicker when you need something.

Just my options....

When they opened up a Lowe's here a few years ago, half the staff came
from Home Depot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BZ" wrote

When they opened up a Lowe's here a few years ago, half the staff came
from Home Depot.

What's wrong with this picture. People who SUPPOSEDLY have a firm 401k
program, lots of potential, lots of advancement, and a cement clad
retirement if they stay 30 years bailing ship. When they see their CEO
bailing with a $200 million + golden parachute.

Something's wrong in Kansas, Toto.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I wonder if this is a trend for the next decades. The big boxes ran the mom
and pops out, and now, the mom and pops are making a comeback, and not even
having to advertise or look for customers.

Steve

Don't know, the big box places have tremendous mind share because of all
of their marketing and many people seem to think there is nothing else.
Just look at the typical threads here where people declare lowes is
better than home depot and vice versa when they are identical. The same
is true in other lines too. A lot of people think that the "experts" at
best buy actually are because of the tremendous marketing they do and
people drive right by the local competent mom & pop places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in

[...]

We have a local plumbing supply store that is exactly like that. There
are now 4 brothers (sons of the founder) running it. They are personable
(not big box phony I have to greet you or I get fired) and actually know
everything about what they sell. And have a mega extensive stock.

They also have excellent customer service. I bought a boiler for an
apartment I own and there was an issue with it after five years of
service. I called and described the problem and the one brother said it
was covered under warranty. He also said if I had the old one
disconnected they would take it when they delivered the replacement at
no charge the next morning.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:57:10 -0500, BZ wrote:

Just Joshin wrote:

Ah you are now a part of the club. I like my lowes for a couple
of things. They seem to hire people with friendly attitudes. IMHO,
Big Orange tries to hire 'trades people', but I rather get an "I don't
know" from a lowes person to my question, than advice on how to burn
down my house with my family in it from an orange apron wearing fool.
Not happy with advice from people not actually doing the work.

Lowes rocks, plus they seem to hire younger people that move much
quicker when you need something.

Just my options....

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

When they opened up a Lowe's here a few years ago, half the staff came
from Home Depot.

Guessing with the stories about a decline in moral in HD these were
teh smarter ones.

With everythign comes change. If HD messes up, Lowes dominate. If
Lowes messes up, HD dominates. If they both mess up, then a third
charactor will show up.

later,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:31:35 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"BZ" wrote

When they opened up a Lowe's here a few years ago, half the staff came
from Home Depot.

What's wrong with this picture. People who SUPPOSEDLY have a firm 401k
program, lots of potential, lots of advancement, and a cement clad
retirement if they stay 30 years bailing ship. When they see their CEO
bailing with a $200 million + golden parachute.

Something's wrong in Kansas, Toto.

Somehow it is related to the people who are against the estate tax as
if it were someday going to affect them. Very few people every have a
million or two more than they owe. Even fewer by the time that they
die.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:55:36 -0400, Just Joshin
wrote:

Guessing with the stories about a decline in moral in HD these were
teh smarter ones.

With everythign comes change. If HD messes up, Lowes dominate. If
Lowes messes up, HD dominates. If they both mess up, then a third
charactor will show up.

Hechingers will rise again!

(They had 15 or 20 big stores around here.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:03:19 GMT, "Rick Brandt"
wrote:

What is really threatening HandyMan with my business lately is the fact that
both big boxes have put in self checkout. Now when just grabbing that carryable
bunch of small items they are just as fast or faster for me to get in and out.
If this is a quick run in the middle of a project speed of in & out is my
primary concern.

Soon after people get used to self-checkout, HD will eliminate every
live cashier except the one at the "contractor's" checkout.

So far there hasn't been more than a half-person line at the
self-checkout, but I wouldn't mentally say ggod-bye to HandyMan, if I
were you.

(Lowes started later with self-checkout, or doesn't have it yet.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Guessing with the stories about a decline in moral in HD these were
teh smarter ones.

With everythign comes change. If HD messes up, Lowes dominate. If
Lowes messes up, HD dominates. If they both mess up, then a third
charactor will show up.

Hechingers will rise again!

(They had 15 or 20 big stores around here.)

Keyboard!

Thats funny. I was back in the suburban Virginia area, in Fairfax City,
last September for the first time in alost 25 years.

I remember when I lived in Reston in a townhouse area, where all the
houses had an unfinished basement. On Sunday's after reading the
Hecky's ad in the Post we'd gup up for the ride to Hecky's. And always
somepne couldn't go, but had a list "If you're going to Hechingers can
you get me....?

I still have an aluminum yardstick with the blue Hecky's lettering.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:16:50 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

I still have an aluminum yardstick with the blue Hecky's lettering.

Those are the best kind. Very accurate, too.