Posted to alt.home.repair
trainfan1 trainfan1 is offline

Default Went to Lowe's today ...........

Steve B wrote:
"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...

George wrote:

M Q wrote:

Steve B wrote:

It will be a long time before I hit the Big Orange again.

When a Lowes opened in Sunnyvale, CA, I eagerly went there hoping for
some real competition to HD.

It already exists. We built a deck and I simply brought the bill of
materials to the local mom & pop lumber yard and 2 days later there was a
stack of quality material in the driveway. No sorting through piles of
lower quality lumber hoping to find good stuff and the price was less.

I have to agree. I had a big deck railing project 2 years ago that the
plans included 168 of the pre-cut spindles, as well as 2x10's for steps, &
all the railing lumber - 2x8's 2x6's, 2x4's, 4x4's. All pressure treated.

I oredered the exact amount needed from Foley Lumber in Old Forge, NY.

Not a single bad board or spindle in the entire load that was DELIVERED
free to the worksite two towns over. No waste, no leftovers. They have
had my business since.

Rob

I wonder if this is a trend for the next decades. The big boxes ran the mom
and pops out, and now, the mom and pops are making a comeback, and not even
having to advertise or look for customers.

Steve

Where they are located, I use the 84 Lumber yards too. Very competitive
pricing, delivery, & good product knowledge.

Rob