Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Went to Lowe's today ...........

Steve B wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in

I think its a reaction to the big box stores. The handyman types don't
like those stores because of either the clientele or the atmosphere in
them. So they seek out the stores that cater to them. I've been going to
Dunn Lumber more and more - used to be a "big box" style store way before
that was in vogue, then it got forced out by Eagle, then Lowe's/HD, now it
seems to be making a comeback as a contractor/DIY store for people who
know exactly what they want. They don't have hardware, but if I need
lumber or fittings they have quality stuff - no 2x4 pretzels there.

And really. HONESTLY now, everyone.

Isn't it a lot more fun to go to the Mom and Pop Hardware and Tack Supply
Store?

You get to talk with Morry (insert the name of your favorite hardware geek),
and he calls YOU by your first name, too.

He'll guide you to what you want, or a very plausible alternative. (Mainly
because he knows his ****.)

We have a local plumbing supply store that is exactly like that. There
are now 4 brothers (sons of the founder) running it. They are personable
(not big box phony I have to greet you or I get fired) and actually know
everything about what they sell. And have a mega extensive stock.

They also have excellent customer service. I bought a boiler for an
apartment I own and there was an issue with it after five years of
service. I called and described the problem and the one brother said it
was covered under warranty. He also said if I had the old one
disconnected they would take it when they delivered the replacement at
no charge the next morning.

And along the way, there's banter about the weather, what AlGore's latest
is, or where the fish are biting.

Big deal that you went there for a nineteen cent threaded 1/2" PVC cap. You
get ten dollars worth of entertainment.

Doing the same thing at the Borg is like running The Gauntlet. Parking 1/4
mile to the Sprinkler aisle. And then, at the end, the ONLY empty bin in
the whole aisle is ..........

Guess What?

Yep.

Or you go to ring it up, and there's a half an hour delay because the SKU
isn't right, and the pimply cashier won't take YOUR untrustworthy word that
it's REALLY nineteen cents because he/she/it explains that they could be
fired for ringing it up without a SKU, and that requires a manager's
approval? (He's currently in back giving physicals to the new crop of
female employee applicants.)

And now a quarter mile back to the truck.

Steve