Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Went to Lowe's today ...........

wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in

I think its a reaction to the big box stores. The handyman types don't
like those stores because of either the clientele or the atmosphere in
them. So they seek out the stores that cater to them. I've been going
Dunn Lumber more and more - used to be a "big box" style store way
before
that was in vogue, then it got forced out by Eagle, then Lowe's/HD, now
it
seems to be making a comeback as a contractor/DIY store for people who
know exactly what they want. They don't have hardware, but if I need
lumber or fittings they have quality stuff - no 2x4 pretzels there.

And really. HONESTLY now, everyone.

Isn't it a lot more fun to go to the Mom and Pop Hardware and Tack Supply
Store?

Absolutely NOT.

You get to talk with Morry (insert the name of your favorite hardware
geek),
and he calls YOU by your first name, too.

I prefer not to know anything about my "hardware geeks" or any grunt
who's selling me something and that includes waiters, used car
salesmen, and anyone else who thinks he's my buddy. Calling me by my
first name is even worse. My first name is reserved for my friends and
peers; everyone else calls me Mr. [insert name], especially those with
whom I have a business arrangement. People who call you by your first
name are treating you as a child or other inferior. It's no accident
that slaves were all called by their first name as were servants.

He'll guide you to what you want, or a very plausible alternative.
(Mainly
because he knows his ****.)

He knows no more than the grunt at Lowes; in fact his last job was at
Lowes but he was fired for goofing off. Given the paucity of customers
he can goof off much more often at the hardware store. Or, he's way
behind the times and whatever you want "Doesn't exist".

And along the way, there's banter about the weather, what AlGore's latest
is, or where the fish are biting.

Sheesh. I'm not the slightest bit interested in his views on anything.

Big deal that you went there for a nineteen cent threaded 1/2" PVC cap.
You
get ten dollars worth of entertainment.

My time is more valuable. It's exactly that sort of "entertainment"
that did in the corner grocer and is probably responsible for the
death of most of the hardware stores (at least the ones you describe).
Someone has to pay for all that yak yak... oops...entertainment.

Doing the same thing at the Borg is like running The Gauntlet. Parking
1/4
mile to the Sprinkler aisle.

Oh yeah. No parking within ten blocks of the hardware store and even
if you're prepared to walk you still have to drive around the block a
few times to find a space.

And then, at the end, the ONLY empty bin in
the whole aisle is ..........

Happens everywhere.

Or you go to ring it up, and there's a half an hour delay because the SKU
isn't right, and the pimply cashier won't take YOUR untrustworthy word
that
it's REALLY nineteen cents because he/she/it explains that they could be
fired for ringing it up without a SKU, and that requires a manager's
approval? (He's currently in back giving physicals to the new crop of
female employee applicants.)

You could save yourself the half-hour by simply making sure the item
has an SKU on it when you take it off the shelf.

The pimply cashier probably makes a bit over minimum wage. It sounds
like you'd like the highly paid tradesman (who knows the prices)
ringing you up. We had that back in the days of the corner grocer too
and that's why we all go to supermarkets now.

And now a quarter mile back to the truck.

And 10 blocks back to...oh, you have a truck... I guess you're one of
those tradespersons who'd like the rest of us to pay for your gossip
and having your butt wiped by the small business owner.

Thank you, Mr. Congeniality.

Steve