Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Carruth

Default DC - HF w/ modification or Delta at Lowe's?

Hi Gents-

Just got giftcard for bday - $100 at Lowe's. Was planning on getting the HF
DC on sale for around $130 and modifying to accept cartridge filter. Other
option is to use card at Lowe's for Delta DC and pay the difference - likely
same amount of money as first option. Last option is to stick with HF, and
use card for other toys.

What is the vote?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Chris Carruth" wrote in message
om...
Hi Gents-

Just got giftcard for bday - $100 at Lowe's. Was planning on getting the
HF DC on sale for around $130 and modifying to accept cartridge filter.
Other option is to use card at Lowe's for Delta DC and pay the
difference - likely same amount of money as first option. Last option is
to stick with HF, and use card for other toys.

What is the vote?

I don't have any HF tools. Frankly, I don't want any. I'd go with Delta.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Shopdog

Don't knock what you don't have. I have a few, mainly air tools but they
have been great! I wouldn't buy an electrical item from them. I have noticed
that the wrenches they sell either flex really bad or are not cast well.
Would I buy things from HF, well it all depends. We all have our tools that
we love and love to hate. I love my Crapsmans not one have let me down,
YET???

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Chris Carruth wrote:

Just got giftcard for bday - $100 at Lowe's. Was planning on getting

the HF
DC on sale for around $130 and modifying to accept cartridge filter.

Bad Plan.

Other
option is to use card at Lowe's for Delta DC and pay the difference -

Better Plan.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Chris,

I have the HF DC with the Wynn Environmental cartridge filter and it
works
very well. I got the combination for well under $300. I don't
remember the
exact amount but you can't get any other brand of DC with comparable
performance for anywhere near that price.

The people who criticize the HF DC are just ignorant. You certainly
can
buy a better DC but not without spending much more money. In my
opinion,
unless you jump up to a much more powerful DC, (220v) you're just
spending
more money for a name, not for significantly better performance.

Bruce

Chris Carruth wrote:
Hi Gents-

Just got giftcard for bday - $100 at Lowe's. Was planning on getting the HF
DC on sale for around $130 and modifying to accept cartridge filter. Other
option is to use card at Lowe's for Delta DC and pay the difference - likely
same amount of money as first option. Last option is to stick with HF, and
use card for other toys.

What is the vote?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bigpole

Be careful! Not all DC will work with a cartridge filter. Some will suck
up the bottom plastic bag. I found this out on my Jet DC.

Ted
"Chris Carruth" wrote in message
om...
Hi Gents-

Just got giftcard for bday - $100 at Lowe's. Was planning on getting the
HF DC on sale for around $130 and modifying to accept cartridge filter.
Other option is to use card at Lowe's for Delta DC and pay the
difference - likely same amount of money as first option. Last option is
to stick with HF, and use card for other toys.

What is the vote?

Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

I have the HF with the Wynn filter. It does work great. Over time you
need to knock the dust out of the filter itself, you can tell the
difference in suction.

IF the delta has a larger impellar, I would go that route. The harbor
freight impellar is measured at about 10" he

http://www.webbyhome.com:8080/ia5/ph...t_impellar.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Chris Carruth wrote:
Hi Gents-

Just got giftcard for bday - $100 at Lowe's. Was planning on getting the HF
DC on sale for around $130 and modifying to accept cartridge filter. Other
option is to use card at Lowe's for Delta DC and pay the difference - likely
same amount of money as first option. Last option is to stick with HF, and
use card for other toys.

What is the vote?

1. I'd be very leary of buying a dust collector and "modifying" it.. Is
it really worth the time/effort/chance of failure vs buying one
designed with the feature you want?

2. To me, it would be a no brainer to buy the Delta, particularly if
you had a 100 gift card.
Why risk getting a HF that might need replaced down the road? My Delta
DC is about 10 years old, still runs well, but if something breaks, I
can get parts.
In 6 months, HF might find a cheaper vendor and not even carry the
model you're considering buying now.

It looks like you are out of pocket the same amount, thanks to the gift
card.. to me, it's a no brainer to get the Delta vs the unknown.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred Toewe

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chris Carruth wrote:
[...]

Don't mean to change the intend of this thread, but you cannot count on
Delta having parts for what they sell. I bought their 12" Sidekick Miter
saw about 5 years ago, recently broke the fence on it and tried to replace
it. They no longer stock the part. Since then I will not buy Delta tools.
Fred