Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Default DC - HF w/ modification or Delta at Lowe's?

Chris Carruth wrote:
Hi Gents-

Just got giftcard for bday - $100 at Lowe's. Was planning on getting the HF
DC on sale for around $130 and modifying to accept cartridge filter. Other
option is to use card at Lowe's for Delta DC and pay the difference - likely
same amount of money as first option. Last option is to stick with HF, and
use card for other toys.

What is the vote?

1. I'd be very leary of buying a dust collector and "modifying" it.. Is
it really worth the time/effort/chance of failure vs buying one
designed with the feature you want?

2. To me, it would be a no brainer to buy the Delta, particularly if
you had a 100 gift card.
Why risk getting a HF that might need replaced down the road? My Delta
DC is about 10 years old, still runs well, but if something breaks, I
can get parts.
In 6 months, HF might find a cheaper vendor and not even carry the
model you're considering buying now.

It looks like you are out of pocket the same amount, thanks to the gift
card.. to me, it's a no brainer to get the Delta vs the unknown.