Old August 22nd 04, 10:55 PM
JPEracing

Default Jet Mini vs. Delta Midi @ Lowes

Let me start by saying it`s a slippery slope........

Ok, I`ve got a Jet mini lathe. Step pulley model. Snagged it when Amazon had
`em on sale for 199.99

Now the local Lowes has one of the Delta`s left for the 169 (plus don't
forget Delta turning tool or bed extension promotion).

Is the Delta that much better of a tool to consider buying one to replace
the Jet ?
Figured I could sell the Jet and recoup some of the cost. But don`t want to
waste money on redundant tooling if there isn't much to be gained.

Now I don`t do a lot of turning and I do have a Powermatic 90 for big stuff.
But I do like taking the mini/midi on vacation and using it away from the
shop.

Thanks to all.

Old August 23rd 04, 12:24 AM
Rick

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:55:23 -0400, "JPEracing"
wrote:

Let me start by saying it`s a slippery slope........

Ok, I`ve got a Jet mini lathe. Step pulley model. Snagged it when Amazon had
`em on sale for 199.99

Now the local Lowes has one of the Delta`s left for the 169 (plus don't
forget Delta turning tool or bed extension promotion).

Is the Delta that much better of a tool to consider buying one to replace
the Jet ?
Figured I could sell the Jet and recoup some of the cost. But don`t want to
waste money on redundant tooling if there isn't much to be gained.

Now I don`t do a lot of turning and I do have a Powermatic 90 for big stuff.
But I do like taking the mini/midi on vacation and using it away from the
shop.

Thanks to all.

I have the Midi and used the jet in a pen turning class. I believe
them to be nearly the same. I liked the switch position on the Delta
a little better. When I purchased, Woodcraft had a Delta sale and
included the extension bed so I bought it. My personal advice would
be to keep the Jet and keep turning. If you want another small lathe
then pick up the Delta.

Rick
Albuquerque, NM
Old August 23rd 04, 01:06 AM
Rusty Myers

I have taught at my local Woodcraft on both lathes. The Jet is far and away
my preference. It held up much better to the abuse in a classroom also.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

Old August 23rd 04, 01:21 AM
NoOne N Particular

Yeah, the Delta is a real pos.

Now, which Lowes is this?? :-)

Wayne

Old August 23rd 04, 04:12 AM
Harry B. Pye

Yeah, the Delta is a real pos.

This is absolutely not true! The Jet may be better, slightly better, than
the Delta but the Delta is certainly not a POS.

I've had mine for over two years, use it almost every day and have had
absolutely no trouble with it. Maybe the plastic handles break but mine
haven't. Of course if you set them up like lug nuts on your car wheels,
expect some breakage. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that both of them are
made in the same factory. Possibly different specs but very, very similar.

If I were you I'd keep the Jet because even if you get a really great deal
on the Delta, you will lose money selling the Jet. Seems to be a no brainer
for me.

Harry

Old August 23rd 04, 05:37 AM
Walter

you would not be gaining anything by selling the jet and
buying the Delta. At best the delta is almost as good as the
jet. I turn and teach on the jet and have turned on the
delta quite a bit. I also have help0 many customers to fix
there deltas when the bring them back to the store. and we
rarely have to do anything like that on the jet. I curently
have 5 jet leathes in the class room that are 4 years old
with out a single repair. One thing to concider is the
plastic handles on deltas, they break all the time. Delta is
supposed to be changing to the metal handles in the near
future. delta did have a problem with off center shafts in
the head stock for a shor time. We had to exchange all of
them for about 6 months to a year. We had one that the only
1x8tpi face plate that would go on the lathe was the one
that came with it. Nothing else would fit.

Old August 23rd 04, 08:38 AM
Arch

Sometimes a particular product just falls into place and for a while,
all things considered, it is ahead of its class. IMHO, the BMW 2002,
the Pfluger Supreme reel, the Glaser gouge.... and the Jet mini all
qualified. Arch

Fortiter,

Old August 23rd 04, 02:08 PM
Barry N. Turner

No. IMO the Jet is superior to the Delta in terms of quality. That's just
my impression based on the fact(?) that I believe metal is superior to
plastic. I may not be right either.

Barry

Old August 23rd 04, 11:35 PM
NoOne N Particular

whoa whoa whoa. I was just kidding trying to get the OP to tell me where
the Lowes was so I could go buy the Delta. (Hence the smiley face).

Wayne

groups.com...