Garden

Default Lawnmower - should I buy self-propelled?

Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging around
me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when mowing my
lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the middle and
pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but still... Now should
I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes, then it is better to
have front or back weels propelled? What else should I look in a grass
mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

Doug Kanter

"Garden" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging
around me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when
mowing my lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the
middle and pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but
still... Now should I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes,
then it is better to have front or back weels propelled? What else should
I look in a grass mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

If I were you, I'd go to www.consumerreports.com and pay for (if I recall
correctly) one month of access to their product reviews. It's less than ten
bucks, and while you're there, you can retrieve product reviews for anything
else you might be buying in the near future. Or, find out if your library
has back issues. They did an excellent review of lawnmowers a while back.

I've always found that a self propelled mower did a better job if the lawn
was bumpy. Not sure why.

Doug Kanter

One more thing: Even though it's good to have a mulching lawnmower, and let
the clippings stay on the lawn, there may be times when you want to bag some
grass. It makes a good mulch for vegetable and flower beds when added in
thin layers. So, get a machine with a bagging attachment, even if you only
use it 2-3 times a year.

Hound Dog

"Garden" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging
around me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when
mowing my lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the
middle and pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but
still... Now should I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes,
then it is better to have front or back weels propelled? What else should
I look in a grass mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

Go to Google and look for "Battery + Self Propelled Lawn Mowers"

You may be able to have the best of both the gas and electric worlds.

I have a Toro Self-Propelled Gas Mover and it's a good mower. The older I
get the more I appreciate the self-propelled feature.

John

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
One more thing: Even though it's good to have a mulching lawnmower, and
let the clippings stay on the lawn, there may be times when you want to
bag some grass. It makes a good mulch for vegetable and flower beds when
added in thin layers. So, get a machine with a bagging attachment, even if
you only use it 2-3 times a year.

Somthing else you might want to think about is a rechargable electric
mower..We have a Black & Decker, we have had for five years..It works great,
not noisy, no maintainance, ect. Even on the original set of
batteries..They are wonderful for smaller yards like what it sound you
have..Being they are not very heavy you really don't need propelled..Just a
thought..
John

No

If you DO go for self propelled, make sure you can adjust the walk behind
speed. I have a yard machines something or another. Its a single speed. Its
a real pain, it goes way too slow for me. It makes mowing the lawn take
twice what it should. I, quite often, do not use the feature so I can mow
faster. I just engage it on some steep parts. What also stinks is that the
self propelled typicly have a larger motor and are heavier. That makes my
life even worse. I'm pushing around a 6.5HP engine and the drive mechanisim.
Argh. I want a Torro or Husqvarna. Too bad I don't have a pile of money or I
would just go get a new one. I cant wait for this beast to die.

"Garden" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging
around me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when
mowing my lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the
middle and pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but
still... Now should I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes,
then it is better to have front or back weels propelled? What else should
I look in a grass mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

Beeper

Can only give you my opinion, I prefer to push the lawnmower. I go at my own
speed. There is also less things to break such as the drive system. It also
gives me some exercise. a friend of mine bought self propelled front wheel
drive. Although he prefers the self propelled he said he will not buy front
wheel drive again. I can't remember the reason, sorry.

Garden wrote:
Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging around
me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when mowing my
lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the middle and
pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but still... Now should
I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes, then it is better to
have front or back weels propelled? What else should I look in a grass
mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

Or you might want to consider a robot lawn mower:

www.friendlyrobotics.com

This is the 3rd year I've had mine, and it's awesome. The only
maintenance I had to do this year was a battery replacement, which,
after you open up the pack, they're generic lead acid batteries. Total
of $60.

Your lot is similar size to mine, and I put the mower out to feed every
3 days or so (takes a whole 30 seconds to get it going). Since it
misses a bit every time it cuts, you don't notice it if you cut often.
Otherwise you can manually drive it over the small spots it might miss.

Plus, it's QUIET. I can sit on the deck, and if it's 20 feet away you
can't even hear it. Kinda fun to watch with some tunes on, drinking a
beer, relaxing in the evening.

Search for my review from a year or two ago if you want more info.

Regardless the size of the lawn, if you have been pushing a mower
without any complaint for many years, this means you don't need the
self-propelling funtionality. In this case, you can get a
battery-powered lawn mower. I used to use one and it was very quiet. I
could have used it early in the morning on a quiet Saturday without
disturbing anyone around me. I cannot do this with my gas powered
self-propelling lawn mower. I didn't have it now because its height
adjustment mechanism was broken and that specific model was
discontinued (no more spare part), and I wanted one that can
self-propel.

On the other hand, if you hope that your wife or your kid may help out
with mowing, you may want to get a self-propelling model in order to
give them one less excuse not to help.

Jay Chan

Garden wrote:
Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging around
me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when mowing my
lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the middle and
pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but still... Now should
I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes, then it is better to
have front or back weels propelled? What else should I look in a grass
mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

unknown user

I used the old craftman front wheel drive for 8 years, and it worked
fine going the hilly .4 acres yard. Then after I ruined the mower (no
oil change, not replacing deck mounting screws when they got lost, etc),
I replaced it with a rear propelled craftman.

The rear propeled one is easy going over the hills. But it is really
difficult while making sharp turns. In stead of tipping the mower as
in the front propelled, I have to raise the rear wheel to make a U-turn.

"Garden" wrote in message

Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging
around me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when
mowing my lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the
middle and pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but
still... Now should I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes,
then it is better to have front or back weels propelled? What else should
I look in a grass mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

The engine is one of the biggest things in mowers other than it being
self propelled.

Honda makes some real good engines (not all necessarily on honda decks
either)

Briggs has some decent stuff out now.

Tecumseh, I just hate them.

Decide if you are a mulcher or bagger. The larger the bag, the better.

As for self propelled? Bah dont need it, just something else that will
break down the road.

Kathy

Yes. Unless you can get a ride-on.

Andy Hill

"Garden" wrote:
I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging around
me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when mowing my
lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the middle and
pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but still... Now should
I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes, then it is better to
have front or back weels propelled? What else should I look in a grass
mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

For that small of a yard, and considering that an electric did the job for you,
I'd just get rid of the wires and get a rechargeable electric
(non-self-propelled).

IME, self-propelled are a PITA in tight spaces unless you shell out the $$$ and
get something with a hydrostatic drive (e.g., Toro Personal Pace). And that's
just way overkill for a 50x120 yard (assuming that's feet...if it's meters then
a Toro Recycler might not be a bad way to go).

Depending on your tastes, the current generation of human-powered reel
mowers might be an option. Quiet, easy to start, and some are very
light too.

I chucked the bagging rotary. And enjoy a few minutes' exercise
smelling the grass.

We've become addicted to cheap energy.

HTH,
John

Doug Kanter

Haven't used one in 20 years. The one I had did a good job of cutting,
except in tight spaces where I couldn't get enough speed to make the reels
turn fast. Maybe there are better ones now.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Depending on your tastes, the current generation of human-powered reel
mowers might be an option. Quiet, easy to start, and some are very
light too.

I chucked the bagging rotary. And enjoy a few minutes' exercise
smelling the grass.

We've become addicted to cheap energy.

HTH,
John

Garden

Thank you everyone for answers.
This is summary of what I found with help from all of you so far:
There are chargeable electric mowers, but I do not like them because " A
review in The New York Times estimates that it takes about twice as long to
mow a lawn with a cordless mower, compared with a gasoline-powered model".
(http://www.consumersearch.com/www/la...fullstory.html)
I did consider looking into robotic mowers as here someone sugested. I do
have roomba vacum cleaner and it does perfect job when rooms are
Roomba-proffed (so it will not stuck). But beacause some of my lawn is in
front of house and some in the back of house and because of price this is
not an option right now.
I believe human-powered reel mowers would be too much hasle. I belive my
lawn is a bit too big for them.
So I am stuck with gas powered mower.
I understood that some of you hate front weel powered mowers and some of you
hate back weel powered movers. No consensus here.
But I am sure now that if I'll go with self-propelled, I will buy just a
mower with multiple speeds.
My current electric mower is 4.5HP and I assume I should gas mower will have
to be also at least 4.5HP. Not sure if it is worth going 6.5HP.
I went to HD during luch and was surprised to find that these gas mowers are
so much havier than electric ones, especially ones with over 6HP power and
self propelled.

Thanks again for all your help. I am still doing my research.

"Garden" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging
around me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when
mowing my lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the
middle and pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but
still... Now should I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes,
then it is better to have front or back weels propelled? What else should
I look in a grass mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

Andy Hill

"Garden" wrote:

[...]

The NYT opinion notwithstanding, you're already mowing with an electric (which
sure as hell isn't 4.5 "true" HP -- that's 28 amps @ 120V...no way). A decent
rechargeable isn't going to be any more gutless that what you already have.

It'd sure help to know if the dimensions of your yard are in feet or meters,
'tho.
Garden

Andy,

Size of lot is in feet 50x120. Again, in the middle of the lot there is a
house and in the corner in backyard there is a pool.
Although I am happy now with electric mower, if based on NYT I'll be able to
cut grass 2 times faster with gas mower, I would be very happy.
Thanks

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
"Garden" wrote:

[...]

Doug Kanter

I know what you mean, but the reel mowers are quite a bit lighter than a
power mower. However, I think they're best for long, straight mowing where
you can maintain a constant speed. For weird corners, they can be less than
spectacular.

"Mark" wrote in message
I couldn't immagine pushing a lawnmower ever again. I do enjoy taking my
walk around the yard, but I'm not going to be pushing something as well.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:03:34 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

Haven't used one in 20 years. The one I had did a good job of cutting,
except in tight spaces where I couldn't get enough speed to make the reels
turn fast. Maybe there are better ones now.

wrote in message
groups.com...
Depending on your tastes, the current generation of human-powered reel
mowers might be an option. Quiet, easy to start, and some are very
light too.

I chucked the bagging rotary. And enjoy a few minutes' exercise
smelling the grass.

We've become addicted to cheap energy.

HTH,
John

Andy Hill

"Garden" wrote:
Size of lot is in feet 50x120. Again, in the middle of the lot there is a
house and in the corner in backyard there is a pool.
Although I am happy now with electric mower, if based on NYT I'll be able to
cut grass 2 times faster with gas mower, I would be very happy.
Thanks

OK, so a 6000 sq ft lot, so maybe 3000 sq ft of lawn...probably less. I have a
hard time believing a gas mower will save any time over an electric on something
that small -- you're going to be spending most of your time turning, futzing
around obstructions, etc. Not a lot of straight line stuff like on a bigger
lawn. IMHO, the increased eminence required of a gas mower would more than
offset any time savings. Hey, but the proof's in the pudding -- borrow a
neighbor's gas mower for an hour, and see what you think.

Doug Kanter

So, in other words, we should drop this idea? :-) OK. How about this?
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~pazzani/4H/Tog.gif

Quiet, don't have to push it, and you can go into the cheese business if you
choose to.

"Mark" wrote in message
Wouldn't push one of those either:
http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?...790XE24433 09

On Thu, 26 May 2005 19:47:57 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

I know what you mean, but the reel mowers are quite a bit lighter than a
power mower. However, I think they're best for long, straight mowing where
you can maintain a constant speed. For weird corners, they can be less
than
spectacular.

. ..

wrote:

Haven't used one in 20 years. The one I had did a good job of cutting,
except in tight spaces where I couldn't get enough speed to make the
reels
turn fast. Maybe there are better ones now.

wrote in message
legroups.com...
Depending on your tastes, the current generation of human-powered reel
mowers might be an option. Quiet, easy to start, and some are very
light too.

I chucked the bagging rotary. And enjoy a few minutes' exercise
smelling the grass.

We've become addicted to cheap energy.

HTH,
John

Greg O

"Garden" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging
around me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when
mowing my lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the
middle and pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but
still... Now should I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes,
then it is better to have front or back weels propelled? What else should
I look in a grass mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

50 X 120 lot? No way! I mow a 50 X 150 lot with a push. I had a self
propelled a few years back and the drive was hardly used.
Greg

Andy Hill

Andy Hill wrote:
IMHO, the increased eminence required of a gas mower would more than
offset any time savings.

The should be "the increased MAINTENANCE required of a gas mower would more than
offset any time savings". %$#*ing spell checker...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
Andy Hill wrote:
IMHO, the increased eminence required of a gas mower would more than
offset any time savings.

The should be "the increased MAINTENANCE required of a gas mower would
more than
offset any time savings". %$#*ing spell checker...

Eminence is correct if you can get the pope to mow your lawn.

Stormin Mormon

Self propelled will be heavier to bring home from the store, and also

I like front wheel drive. Because when you're turning a corner, you push
down on the handle and the front wheels come up. And you can leave the drive
running, and then you can stand still.

Trying to lift the handle to lift the rear drive wheels is a pain.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Garden" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if I
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower. Up to now I used
electric mower and it did good job, just I am tiered of wires hanging around
me - so I definatelly want gas mower. I want more freedome when mowing my
lawn. It is flat (no hills) land, 50x120 with the house in the middle and
pool in the corner. So there is not that much grass, but still... Now should
I consider buying self-propelled lawn mower? If yes, then it is better to
have front or back weels propelled? What else should I look in a grass
mower? I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all answers

June 2005 Consumer Reports has an article and tests of mowers. Its on
newstands. Worth a read.

LB

SteveB

Hi,

I am in a market for buying lawnmower and at this point I am not sure if
should consider self-propelled one or just push mower.

Self propelled. Lots easier to use. And in situations where you just want
to push it, pull in on the bar.

Steve