Old March 6th 04, 07:21 PM
Jer

Default Macrovision hack?

Cernovog wrote:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
(in message ):

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

Most of us provide our own enforcement through self control - this way,
we don't have to concern ourselves about jack-booted thugs kicking down
our doors in the middle of a movie scattering our fresh popcorn across
the floor.

Yes, laugh if you will, but if someone you trust decides they don't like
your attitude about your lack of self control, they may convince the FBI
of your terrorist activities, and you can deal with them instead of us.
Yes, laugh little pidgeon, laugh if you will.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Old March 6th 04, 08:48 PM
Dick Sidbury

Justin wrote:
Colon Terminus wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:01:16 GMT]:

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

Not it's not illegal to bypass a copy protection mechanism. It's
illegal to defeat it. So if you could do a bit for bit copy that
wouldn't violate the DMCA. And of course if the DVD were not copy
protected then copying it would also not be illegal.

dick

Old March 6th 04, 09:39 PM
luminos

It is not in Australia and a lot of other countries.

"Java Jive" wrote in message
. ..
Only applies in US ... This is not the first time I've seen US posters
posting as though their laws applied across the entire world. When posting
please bear in mind that copyright laws vary from country to country.

I suspect that making backups of privately owned media for personal,
non-commercial use is legal in most countries.

Old March 6th 04, 10:52 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:56:04 GMT) it happened Justin
wrote in :

By copying a copy protected DVD you are defeating the copy protection
mechanism. If you weren't defeating it then you wouldn't be copying it.

But if you could copy it, then for sure it was not copy protected ;-)
Old March 6th 04, 10:52 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2004 15:48:21 -0500) it happened Dick Sidbury
wrote in
:

Justin wrote:
Colon Terminus wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:01:16 GMT]:

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

Not it's not illegal to bypass a copy protection mechanism. It's
illegal to defeat it.

Interesting, I thought of that some time ago.

Old March 6th 04, 11:05 PM
luminos

Justin wrote:
Colon Terminus wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:01:16 GMT]:

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

Not it's not illegal to bypass a copy protection mechanism. It's
illegal to defeat it.

Interesting, I thought of that some time ago.

It is a ludicrous semantic game you are playing. Bypass and defeat are the
same.

Old March 6th 04, 11:07 PM
luminos

Ok genius.....what about the need of education to use segments of DVD for
analysis and presentation in various courses? How are they going to do
this? How are researchers going to be able to deal with compilations of
segments of DVD materials that they own?

Old March 6th 04, 11:13 PM
Rick

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Cernovog wrote on [Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:33:06 -0500]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
(in message ):

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

Yes, but just because something doesn't always get enforced it doesn't
mean it's legal.

Make enough laws and eventually everyone becomes a
criminal. It really is over in the U.S., we've become a
nation of brainwashed, fearful, pussy whipped corporate
prostitutes who wouldn't know freedom if it bit us on
the ass.

Rick

Old March 7th 04, 01:14 AM
HellRazor

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 13:10:44 +0100, "Haans"
Gave us:

"DarkMatter" wrote in

message
.. .
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, "Neil" Gave
us:

snip
My time is worth too much for such retarded pursuits.

Obviously not worth too much, since you bother spending time on spewing

your
rather worthless comments to this group. And see, I didn't call you

names.
Just commented on the stupidity of your post.

What I do not do is spend time trying to burn copies of discs. THAT
is ****ing retarded. That is not a name being called, asswipe, that
is a fact being related.

You'd rather spend all your time trolling in newsgroups.

Old March 7th 04, 01:18 AM
- - ex - -

wrote in :

By copying a copy protected DVD you are defeating the copy protection
mechanism. If you weren't defeating it then you wouldn't be copying it.

But if you could copy it, then for sure it was not copy protected ;-)

Thats one of the more interesting and logical 'philosophies' that I have
heard.
:-)
Reminds me of one of the 'not-all-that-uncommon' CATV scrambling
systems. While it is generally a reasonably effective system, a good
5-10% of sets handle it like it wasn't even there. The manufacturer
knows and admits that and its just one of those caveats with this
particular scheme.
So, if a person has a brand XYZ receiver that just so happens to not be
affected by the scrambling is he culpable of any legal ramifications for
defeating or stealing (or whatever legalese) the encrypted programming
that he is not 'authorized' to receive?
This is a hypothetical (if not rhetorical) question to demonstrate how
big jaws don't necessarily have any teeth.

-BM