Rick

Default Macrovision hack?

"Dbowey" wrote in message ...
Rick posted:
"Dbowey" wrote in message
Mike posted:
The DMCA makes it illegal to thwart the copy protection, yet you *DO* have
the right to make a copy for your own personal use. It's a legal paradox
which must be resolved. Which part of this isn't clear to you?
--
What law gives me the right to make a copy of a purchased DVD movie?

Fair use laws. You have the right to make copies of anything
you own -- audio cassette tapes, video cassette tapes, computer
software etc. What you cannot do legally is sell those copies,
show them publicly or otherwise make money off of them.

I am aware that many companies authorize buyers to make a copy of a *program*
disc they have purchased, but a purchased DVD is not the same.

Software developers (and the entertainment industry) doesn't
"authorize" anyone to do anything. You have these rights,
regardless of what's printed in a shrink-wrapped end-user
license agreement, or what Sony's lawyers want you to
believe.

I see. From your (Rick) point of view, this "right" comes from your
self-proclamation in support of your desire to steal DVD content. I bet you
also think there is a Natural Right to steal music. How about cars and other
objects you want to have, but don't wish to pay for?

Did you get this thought process from your parents? Friends? You don't sound
smart enough to have thought it up all by yourself, but, maybe.....

Backing up your software, and time/space shifting your
video and music is not stealing. At least that's what the
United States Supreme Court said 20 years ago.

Rick