Martin D. Bartsch

Default Macrovision hack?

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 18:01:23 -0800, "Mike Kohary" wrote:

Macrovision is "copy encryption" (or copy protection, as I'd put it). It
doesn't matter what the copy protection scheme is; the DMCA applies equally
to all.

At first, Macrovision is a violation of technical TV-standards,
putting impulses there where they should not be to hassle the
automatic gain control of VHS-recorders. With legal availible
timebase-correctors you can regenerate the signal to the NTSC- or
PAL-standard. (And I am not sure about the legality to write NTSC on a
DVD or VHS-Tape when the output is not real NTSC but has this
Macrovision in it)

Maybe they should sell PAL-DVDs in the US. I expect that nearly nobody
owns PAL-VHS so they are very well copy protected

--
Martin D. Bartsch
ARD Paris