Rick

Default Macrovision hack?

"Dbowey" wrote in message ...
Mike posted:
The DMCA makes it illegal to thwart the copy protection, yet you *DO* have
the right to make a copy for your own personal use. It's a legal paradox
which must be resolved. Which part of this isn't clear to you?
--
What law gives me the right to make a copy of a purchased DVD movie?

Fair use laws. You have the right to make copies of anything
you own -- audio cassette tapes, video cassette tapes, computer
software etc. What you cannot do legally is sell those copies,
show them publicly or otherwise make money off of them.

I am aware that many companies authorize buyers to make a copy of a *program*
disc they have purchased, but a purchased DVD is not the same.

Software developers (and the entertainment industry) doesn't
"authorize" anyone to do anything. You have these rights,
regardless of what's printed in a shrink-wrapped end-user
license agreement, or what Sony's lawyers want you to
believe.

Rick