A Better Chungking_Cash

Default Macrovision hack?

I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
advance.
Neil

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?. How
many times will we have to put up with requests for cell phone jammers,
cable tv descramblers, radar jammers etc?.
And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.
What a good idea!...just in case your super high resolution, multiple track,
fully digital, noise and dropout free DVD suddenly fails, you'll have a
crappy, noisy, dropout ridden VHS copy to enjoy.
That's gotta be one of the stupidest ideas that have been posted here in a
long time, and there have been quite a few!.
Kim

"A Better Chungking_Cash" wrote in message
om...
I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
advance.

Chaos Master

Neil posted in sci.electronics.repair , in article
, at Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -
0500:
When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?. How
many times will we have to put up with requests for cell phone jammers,
cable tv descramblers, radar jammers etc?.
And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.
What a good idea!...just in case your super high resolution, multiple track,
fully digital, noise and dropout free DVD suddenly fails, you'll have a
crappy, noisy, dropout ridden VHS copy to enjoy.
That's gotta be one of the stupidest ideas that have been posted here in a
long time, and there have been quite a few!.
Kim

Someone scratches your DVD disks. You're f*cked.

For now, the OP should search for 'Macrovision decoding' on Internet. There was
a circuit using a PIC microcontroller (IIRC) and a few other IC's but I can't
find it right now.

--
Chaos Master® - Porto Alegre, Brazil!
IRC #XLinuxNews or #POA of irc.brasnet.org , nick Wizard_of_Yendor .
Feck

You need a black box usually called an "image stabiliser". My local
electronics store sell them for about $50cad, check the net for mail order
sources.
It goes between the DVD and VCR. Since your unit is an all-in-one, you
might have to copy to a standalone VCR.

(A Better Chungking_Cash) wrote in
om:

I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
advance.

gothika

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 02:17:44 -0200, Chaos Master
wrote:

[...]

Not really a stupid request. And there should be a way to remove it
with a software solution.
It's only illegal if you suck up to the notion that anyone has the
right to sell you inferior quality video.(macrovision degrades the
signal to the point where the tracking and burst signals are marginal
resulting in a poorer image.)
LAST time I checked it wasn't against the law to strip the macrovison
encoding to restore image quality to the video signal if you're doing
it for personal use. Only illegal for commercial purposes.
also have you forgotten about s-vhs? while it's not as good as the
original dvd it would still be perfectly fine for viewing on standard
tv sets.
And like the man said if you scratch it you're fcked.

Cernovog

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
(in message ) :

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

Stan

"Neil" wrote:

}When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?.

Defeating Macrovision is not illegal if you have a valid purpose, such
as archiving. Read the copyright act.

}And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.

Not desireable in my book, but still legal, so why hassle him about it?

Stan.
luminos

"Cernovog" wrote in message
om...
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
(in message ) :

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

Rick

"luminos" wrote in message ...

"Cernovog" wrote in message
om...
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
(in message ) :

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

Wherever you're getting your news, you should find another
source.

If you're referring to 321, "the ruling" is just the latest in this
case -- it's being appealed and will eventually be overturned
(like in all previous cases where a clueless judge somewhere
along the line claimed that fair use rights don't include the
right to backup copy protected media).

Rick

Haans

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, "Neil" Gave
us:

snip
My time is worth too much for such retarded pursuits.

Obviously not worth too much, since you bother spending time on spewing your
rather worthless comments to this group. And see, I didn't call you names.
Just commented on the stupidity of your post.

Java Jive

Only applies in US ... This is not the first time I've seen US posters
posting as though their laws applied across the entire world. When posting
please bear in mind that copyright laws vary from country to country.

I suspect that making backups of privately owned media for personal,
non-commercial use is legal in most countries.

"luminos" wrote in message

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

Deke

"A Better Chungking_Cash" wrote in message
om...
I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
advance.

Do a google for macrovision hack, which should bring up several sites.
BTW, I make VHS copies of my kids movies, give them the tape, and put the
DVD away. After buying two DVD "The Lion King" movies, I learned my lesson.
And the quality on a 25" TV in the kids room is fine. I'd rather replace a
$2.00 tape, than buy another $20.00 replacement DVD.

Deke

Mike Davis

"Stan" wrote in message
"Neil" wrote:

}When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?.

Defeating Macrovision is not illegal if you have a valid purpose, such
as archiving. Read the copyright act.

}And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a

DVD???!!!!.

Not desireable in my book, but still legal, so why hassle him about it?

Stan.

Stan,
You ask why copy to VHS, I'll answer in one word- "children." When my
kids were younger I used to make backup tapes of DVD's as they could operate
the tape deck but would surely trash a DVD. The little rugrats have grown a
bit, so now I copy the DVD's directly to blank media and let them use an
older player. This actually serves a second purpose of trying to teach them
not to trash discs and gear. It works out pretty well, and if the copy of
"Finding Nemo" gets a little hashed, no problem, there must be two or three
backup discs safely locked up in the media room ggg.
All the best, Mike

Cernovog

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 7:08:15 -0500, DarkMatter wrote
(in message ):

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

That is so untrue.

Care to explain yourself? Just saying something doesn't make it true.

Cernovog

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
(in message ):

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

Chris Phillipo

I wasn't pirating before but I think it's time to start just to drive up
the cost that idiots like Darkmatter have to pay when they buy a disk at
full pop because they have no self control.

--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

Jer

Cernovog wrote:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
(in message ):

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

Most of us provide our own enforcement through self control - this way,
we don't have to concern ourselves about jack-booted thugs kicking down
our doors in the middle of a movie scattering our fresh popcorn across
the floor.

Yes, laugh if you will, but if someone you trust decides they don't like
your attitude about your lack of self control, they may convince the FBI
of your terrorist activities, and you can deal with them instead of us.
Yes, laugh little pidgeon, laugh if you will.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Dick Sidbury

Justin wrote:
Colon Terminus wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:01:16 GMT]:

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

Not it's not illegal to bypass a copy protection mechanism. It's
illegal to defeat it. So if you could do a bit for bit copy that
wouldn't violate the DMCA. And of course if the DVD were not copy
protected then copying it would also not be illegal.

dick

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:56:04 GMT) it happened Justin
wrote in :

By copying a copy protected DVD you are defeating the copy protection
mechanism. If you weren't defeating it then you wouldn't be copying it.

But if you could copy it, then for sure it was not copy protected ;-)
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2004 15:48:21 -0500) it happened Dick Sidbury
wrote in
:

Justin wrote:
Colon Terminus wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:01:16 GMT]:

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

Not it's not illegal to bypass a copy protection mechanism. It's
illegal to defeat it.

Interesting, I thought of that some time ago.

luminos

Justin wrote:
Colon Terminus wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:01:16 GMT]:

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

Not it's not illegal to bypass a copy protection mechanism. It's
illegal to defeat it.

Interesting, I thought of that some time ago.

It is a ludicrous semantic game you are playing. Bypass and defeat are the
same.

luminos

Ok genius.....what about the need of education to use segments of DVD for
analysis and presentation in various courses? How are they going to do
this? How are researchers going to be able to deal with compilations of
segments of DVD materials that they own?

Rick

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Cernovog wrote on [Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:33:06 -0500]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
(in message ):

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

Yes, but just because something doesn't always get enforced it doesn't
mean it's legal.

Make enough laws and eventually everyone becomes a
criminal. It really is over in the U.S., we've become a
nation of brainwashed, fearful, pussy whipped corporate
prostitutes who wouldn't know freedom if it bit us on
the ass.

Rick

HellRazor

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 13:10:44 +0100, "Haans"
Gave us:

"DarkMatter" wrote in

message
.. .
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, "Neil" Gave
us:

snip
My time is worth too much for such retarded pursuits.

Obviously not worth too much, since you bother spending time on spewing

your
rather worthless comments to this group. And see, I didn't call you

names.
Just commented on the stupidity of your post.

What I do not do is spend time trying to burn copies of discs. THAT
is ****ing retarded. That is not a name being called, asswipe, that
is a fact being related.

You'd rather spend all your time trolling in newsgroups.

- - ex - -

wrote in :

By copying a copy protected DVD you are defeating the copy protection
mechanism. If you weren't defeating it then you wouldn't be copying it.

But if you could copy it, then for sure it was not copy protected ;-)

Thats one of the more interesting and logical 'philosophies' that I have
heard.
:-)
Reminds me of one of the 'not-all-that-uncommon' CATV scrambling
systems. While it is generally a reasonably effective system, a good
5-10% of sets handle it like it wasn't even there. The manufacturer
knows and admits that and its just one of those caveats with this
particular scheme.
So, if a person has a brand XYZ receiver that just so happens to not be
affected by the scrambling is he culpable of any legal ramifications for
defeating or stealing (or whatever legalese) the encrypted programming
that he is not 'authorized' to receive?
This is a hypothetical (if not rhetorical) question to demonstrate how
big jaws don't necessarily have any teeth.

-BM

HellRazor

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:48:25 GMT, Justin Gave
us:

DarkMatter wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 11:36:49 -0800]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:26:22 -0400, Chris Phillipo
Gave us:

Any such attempt will only serve to drive the sale of Chinese made
players through the roof, as if they weren't killing american
manufacturers already.

Funny. I see absolutely ZERO chinese players on American store
shelves. Ever wonder why?

Sure you do.

Yes. Taiwan. Through legal manufacturer channels where the
manufacturer is industry compliant. One does not see the
non-complaint players he refers to on our shelves.

You only don't see them because you spend all your free time on Usenet,
being unable to squeeze your fat ass through your front door.

Cyberhome, Daewood, and Malata players are sold in stores like Circuit City
and Best Buy all over the country, you stupid ****. Most of these players
are region free and macrovision free.

HellRazor

"luminos" wrote in message
Ok genius.....what about the need of education to use segments of DVD for
analysis and presentation in various courses? How are they going to do
this? How are researchers going to be able to deal with compilations of
segments of DVD materials that they own?

Don't try to use logic on him, it just confuses him and makes him angry.

HellRazor

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:29:35 -0500, Cernovog Gave
us:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 7:08:15 -0500, DarkMatter wrote
(in message ):

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him

to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

That is so untrue.

Care to explain yourself? Just saying something doesn't make it true.

Just saying that he can doesn't make it true either, dip****.

Explaining himself would require communication skills and civil interaction
with fellow human beings.

Rick

"DarkMatter" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:13:47 -0800, "Rick" Gave us:

Make enough laws and eventually everyone becomes a
criminal. It really is over in the U.S., we've become a
nation of brainwashed, fearful, pussy whipped corporate
prostitutes who wouldn't know freedom if it bit us on
the ass.

Sorry, you total retard, but stealing is NOT a freedom.

Making a backup of one's own property is not stealing,
regardless of what the entertainment industry wants you
to believe.

Pay attention to what happens in the appeals process for
this current court case.

Rick

luminos

I read your other lengthy response, that was the ultimate in dumb. Just as
with music, the instructor needs to present excerpts adjacent and
immediately next to each other to make the point. Having a bunch of discs
(or a boatload of them like a boatload of books) makes no sense at all.

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:07:57 GMT, "luminos" Gave us:

Ok genius.....what about the need of education to use segments of DVD for
analysis and presentation in various courses? How are they going to do
this? How are researchers going to be able to deal with compilations of
segments of DVD materials that they own?

Can you really be so dumb?

Chaos Master

Java Jive posted in sci.electronics.repair , in article
, at Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:39:06 -
0000:

Only applies in US ... This is not the first time I've seen US posters
posting as though their laws applied across the entire world. When posting
please bear in mind that copyright laws vary from country to country.

I suspect that making backups of privately owned media for personal,
non-commercial use is legal in most countries.

Here in Brazil it is allowed to copy and distribute recordings, __as long as it
is done for free__.

--
Chaos Master® - Porto Alegre, Brazil!
IRC #XLinuxNews or #POA of irc.brasnet.org , nick Wizard_of_Yendor .
Powered by NetHack (www.nethack.org) , Slackware 9.1 (Linux User #327480 - at
work)
CygWin, GnuWin32, and so on..
Chaos Master

gothika posted in sci.electronics.repair , in article
, at Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:17:26 -
0600:

also have you forgotten about s-vhs? while it's not as good as the
original dvd it would still be perfectly fine for viewing on standard
tv sets.

Here in Brazil it is similar.
You can remove all protection from a DVD, but YOU CAN'T SELL the resulting data.

This is somewhat like our laws about .MP3 audio: you can download it, as long as
it's for personal use or transmission over the Internet _AS LONG AS_ you don't
"sell" music. If you burn a CD with downloaded music to play on your CD player
it's legal. But if you sell the CD it is illegal.

--
Chaos Master® - Porto Alegre, Brazil!
IRC #XLinuxNews or #POA of irc.brasnet.org , nick Wizard_of_Yendor .
Powered by NetHack (www.nethack.org) , Slackware 9.1 (Linux User #327480 - at
work)
CygWin, GnuWin32, and so on..
gothika

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:46:46 -0800, DarkMatter
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:17:06 GMT, Justin Gave
us:

DarkMatter wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:14:27 -0800]:
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:48:25 GMT, Justin Gave
us:

DarkMatter wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 11:36:49 -0800]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:26:22 -0400, Chris Phillipo
Gave us:

Any such attempt will only serve to drive the sale of Chinese made
players through the roof, as if they weren't killing american
manufacturers already.

Funny. I see absolutely ZERO chinese players on American store
shelves. Ever wonder why?

Sure you do.

Yes. Taiwan. Through legal manufacturer channels where the
manufacturer is industry compliant. One does not see the
non-complaint players he refers to on our shelves.

The web doesn't count.

The Cyberhome players can be hacked, hell, even some of the newer
Toshibas can be, with very simple remote keypresses.

That makes them illicit to market here, if it can be accessed by the
consumer. The fact that they ARE marketed here doesn't make them any
less sub-conformal to the standard. Are any of those marketers based
here? I doubt it.

I have a Daewoo dvd player that is region free. I've played dvd's from
2 other zones and they played just fine.
I notice you stated illicit not illegal. There is a legal distinction.
I bought mine over the net from a dealer in NY but have since seenthe
same player selling in local stores.
As for the governement outlawing what I do with whatever I buy for my
own personal use. They forget that They serve the people not the other
way around.
We have this thing called the constitution and no laws may be made
that will abridge or change it. Especially in regards to the laws
protecting unalienable rights. Those include freedom of expression,
speech and privacy.
What I do with my own property(that includes any recorded media I
purchase.) in the privacy of my own home for my own use.
By the owner of the intellectual/artisitic property(this being THE
material on the commercial dvd.) putting said property in the retail
sales market they come under he comes under guide lines and rules as
set forth by fair trade laws. i.e. they relenquish private view rights
to whomever purchases the material for their own personal viewing.
They have no rights to mandate how you view it.
The clearest example of this would be the LP's of past that all would
purchase and make cassette copies of for their own use.
ASCAP and the RIAA could'nt get the Supreme court to ban home
recording and the film and video industry won't have any better luck
getting the cititzenry to comply now.
No matter how many politicians they bribe or unlawfull regulations
they try to impose.
If I choose to make a copy of any DVD I purchase to vhs or whatever
for my own personal viewing it's no one's business but mine.
If I choose to purchase a descrambler to remove any signal that
degrades image quality that's my business as well. I'm buying the
images not the anti-theft crap they trash it with.
The government can't under constututional law mandate what we will or
won't purchase or own inregards to restrictive players.
gothika

Justin wrote:
Colon Terminus wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:01:16 GMT]:

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

Not it's not illegal to bypass a copy protection mechanism. It's
illegal to defeat it.

Interesting, I thought of that some time ago.

It is a ludicrous semantic game you are playing. Bypass and defeat are the
same.

Well said. Arguing about word play is a waste.
Better to discuss whether we should allow any government to have the
power to strip away our basic rights.

gothika

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:13:47 -0800, "Rick" wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Cernovog wrote on [Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:33:06 -0500]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
(in message ):

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

Yes, but just because something doesn't always get enforced it doesn't
mean it's legal.

Make enough laws and eventually everyone becomes a
criminal. It really is over in the U.S., we've become a
nation of brainwashed, fearful, pussy whipped corporate
prostitutes who wouldn't know freedom if it bit us on
the ass.

Rick

Thank you Rick. At last someone here with enough stones to speak up.