Old March 5th 04, 11:42 PM
A Better Chungking_Cash

Default Macrovision hack?

I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
advance.

Old March 6th 04, 04:06 AM
Neil

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?. How
many times will we have to put up with requests for cell phone jammers,
cable tv descramblers, radar jammers etc?.
And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.
What a good idea!...just in case your super high resolution, multiple track,
fully digital, noise and dropout free DVD suddenly fails, you'll have a
crappy, noisy, dropout ridden VHS copy to enjoy.
That's gotta be one of the stupidest ideas that have been posted here in a
long time, and there have been quite a few!.
Kim

om...

Old March 6th 04, 04:17 AM
Chaos Master

Neil posted in sci.electronics.repair , in article
, at Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -
0500:
When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?. How
many times will we have to put up with requests for cell phone jammers,
cable tv descramblers, radar jammers etc?.
And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.
What a good idea!...just in case your super high resolution, multiple track,
fully digital, noise and dropout free DVD suddenly fails, you'll have a
crappy, noisy, dropout ridden VHS copy to enjoy.
That's gotta be one of the stupidest ideas that have been posted here in a
long time, and there have been quite a few!.
Kim

Someone scratches your DVD disks. You're f*cked.

For now, the OP should search for 'Macrovision decoding' on Internet. There was
a circuit using a PIC microcontroller (IIRC) and a few other IC's but I can't
find it right now.

--
Chaos Master® - Porto Alegre, Brazil!
IRC #XLinuxNews or #POA of irc.brasnet.org , nick Wizard_of_Yendor .
Old March 6th 04, 04:45 AM
Feck

You need a black box usually called an "image stabiliser". My local
electronics store sell them for about $50cad, check the net for mail order
sources.
It goes between the DVD and VCR. Since your unit is an all-in-one, you
might have to copy to a standalone VCR.

(A Better Chungking_Cash) wrote in
om:

Old March 6th 04, 06:17 AM
gothika

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 02:17:44 -0200, Chaos Master
wrote:

[...]

Not really a stupid request. And there should be a way to remove it
with a software solution.
It's only illegal if you suck up to the notion that anyone has the
right to sell you inferior quality video.(macrovision degrades the
signal to the point where the tracking and burst signals are marginal
resulting in a poorer image.)
LAST time I checked it wasn't against the law to strip the macrovison
encoding to restore image quality to the video signal if you're doing
it for personal use. Only illegal for commercial purposes.
also have you forgotten about s-vhs? while it's not as good as the
original dvd it would still be perfectly fine for viewing on standard
tv sets.
And like the man said if you scratch it you're fcked.

Old March 6th 04, 06:48 AM
Cernovog

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
(in message ) :

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

Old March 6th 04, 06:49 AM
Stan

"Neil" wrote:

}When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?.

Defeating Macrovision is not illegal if you have a valid purpose, such
as archiving. Read the copyright act.

}And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a DVD???!!!!.

Not desireable in my book, but still legal, so why hassle him about it?

Stan.
Old March 6th 04, 07:54 AM
luminos

"Cernovog" wrote in message
om...
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
(in message ) :

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

Old March 6th 04, 10:06 AM
Rick

"luminos" wrote in message ...

"Cernovog" wrote in message
om...
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
(in message ) :

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

Wherever you're getting your news, you should find another
source.

If you're referring to 321, "the ruling" is just the latest in this
case -- it's being appealed and will eventually be overturned
(like in all previous cases where a clueless judge somewhere
along the line claimed that fair use rights don't include the
right to backup copy protected media).

Rick

Old March 6th 04, 12:10 PM
Haans

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, "Neil" Gave
us:

snip
My time is worth too much for such retarded pursuits.

Obviously not worth too much, since you bother spending time on spewing your
rather worthless comments to this group. And see, I didn't call you names.
Just commented on the stupidity of your post.