Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default hissing sound coming from behind woofer on one side AR11

Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
irregular: It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone
or any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound is
put through the speaker.

Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever is
coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
adjustment of the volume control. Andit is louder than most signals
put through the woofer itself??

Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to people
improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
speaker completely). This speaker is quite elderly and I would
imagine that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly dirty
by now
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
[...]

Looks like a closed box and my first thought is an leak. Don't understand"behind woofer"
Inside ?? Outside ?? Or sounds like behind woofer from the front.

I would troubleshoot a woofer with low frequency test tones, without
any high frequencies being generated. I used to do a quick test with AM radio.

Changing frequency will likely change the sound. Get close, feel around.
Can't tell from your description, but could be the woofer itself making
mechanical surround, voice coil, or suspension sounds.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If the AR11 were a ducted-port speaker (I don't think it is), it would
likely be the "port noise complaint" (OUCH!), with air "rushing" or
"whistling" through the port.

It's hard to believe the sound /is/ coming from the speaker when you say "it
isn't related to the music or any movement of the cone or any signal put
through it". Speakers are passive, and do not produce sounds on their own --
other than, perhaps, loud crashing/breaking noises when they're knocked off
a shelf.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:30:48 -0700, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:

[...]

Make sure a snake hasn't crawled behind the speaker.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:57:56 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Make sure a snake hasn't crawled behind the speaker.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/58/20...64a75623ae.jpg

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 20, 2:30*pm, Amanda Ripanykhazov
wrote:
[...]

If there is a cross-over board in the case, you may have an
electrolytic capacitor going bad.
When they over heat, they'll make those sort of noises.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Reverend Fuzzy"

If there is a cross-over board in the case, you may have an
electrolytic capacitor going bad.
When they over heat, they'll make those sort of noises.

** That is utterly bizarre crap.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
irregular: *It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone
or any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound is
put through the speaker.

Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever is
coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
adjustment of the volume control. *Andit is louder than most signals
put through the woofer itself??

My guess is that the suspension for the woofer cone has come unglued.
This can allow the voice coil to rub on the magnet, which makes sounds
that are mechanical and vary with volume.

To check for this, you'll need to remove the grill cloth so you can
get to the speakers. Gently press all five fingers of one hand against
the woofer cone, next to the center dome. Push sideways on the cone;
try several directions. It should not want to move. It may be useful
to do this on both speaker (stereo, right?) so you can be sure of any
differences.

You may see that the "surround" has disintegrated. That would be an
obvious flaw. There is also a lower support called a spider which
centers the cone near its small end. If the spider has come unglued,
it can be reglued while holding the cone centered.

Older AR speakers used wirewound controls for the tone controls. These
corrode and lose contact. The effect of this is to lose the midrange
or tweeter completely. They can be disassembled and cleaned, but they
don't tend to make extra noises. The capacitors in decent speaker
crossovers are never electrolytics, so they don't generally
deteriorate over time.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 20, 6:46*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Reverend Fuzzy"

If there is a cross-over board in the case, you may have an
electrolytic capacitor going bad.
When they over heat, they'll make those sort of noises.

** That is utterly bizarre crap.

.... *Phil

Not half as bizarre as your instant flaming of something I have seen
happen in my personal experience. If you haven't seen it, yourself,
don't just call my answer crap... PROVE it can't happen.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Adney"

You may see that the "surround" has disintegrated.

** Happens to ALL speakers made with foam surrounds - like the AR11.

That would be an obvious flaw.

** Obvious only if you look, the OP must be blind.

If the spider has come unglued,

** Very unlikely.

Older AR speakers used wirewound controls for the tone controls.

** Not the AR 11 - it uses a switch.

The capacitors in decent speaker
crossovers are never electrolytics,

** Fraid that is just not true.

Most famous brand name hi-fi speakers use bi-polar electros for the larger
values at least.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Reverend Fuzzy"
"Phil Allison"

If there is a cross-over board in the case, you may have an
electrolytic capacitor going bad.
When they over heat, they'll make those sort of noises.

** That is utterly bizarre crap.

Not half as bizarre as your instant flaming of something I have seen
happen in my personal experience.

** What you wrote here is bizarre crap.

What you might have seen elsewhere at sometime is another matter.

If you haven't seen it, yourself,

** Your post here is bizarre crap.

Electros used in hi-fi speakers like the AR11 do not "over heat" and hence
are not the source of peculiar hissing noises.

Ever worked on an AR11??

I have.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The capacitors in decent speaker crossovers are never
electrolytics, so they don't generally deteriorate over time.

Never? I haven't checked "decent" speakers lately, but the AR11 is from an
era when non-polar electrolytics were commonly used. Even inexpensive Mylar
caps cost more than electrolytics.

The tendency toward two-way designs (the AR11 is three-way) has raised the
crossover point to a frequency that makes the use of a film cap
more-practical. But even "the" classic two-way speaker (The Advent Speaker)
used an electrolytic.

The DQ-10 was one of the first speakers to use film caps. The original
version used mostly electrolytics; the changeover occurred several years
into production. In exchange for loaning him a pair of Pearl mics, Jon sent
me a box of cheap Mexican Mylar caps, and I repopulated the crossovers. I
was in such a rush to get it all done, that I didn't leave one of my four
DQ-10s unmodded, and wasn't able to make a valid comparison.

I /was/ going to suggest a mechanical problem with the woofer or midrange,
but the OP /specifically stated/ that the hissing sound had no relationship
with what was playing, or how loud it was, or /any movement of the cone/.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:38:52 -0700 (PDT), Reverend Fuzzy
wrote:

On Jul 20, 6:46*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Reverend Fuzzy"

If there is a cross-over board in the case, you may have an
electrolytic capacitor going bad.
When they over heat, they'll make those sort of noises.

** That is utterly bizarre crap.

.... *Phil

Not half as bizarre as your instant flaming of something I have seen
happen in my personal experience. If you haven't seen it, yourself,
don't just call my answer crap... PROVE it can't happen.

And you've seen electrolitics in cross-overs overheating and hissing?
I'm with Phil on this one...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:46:59 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"Reverend Fuzzy"

If there is a cross-over board in the case, you may have an electrolytic
capacitor going bad.
When they over heat, they'll make those sort of noises.

** That is utterly bizarre crap.

Can't say I've heard an x-over cap his but I've seen them over heat as
evidenced by broken and distored shrink wrap covering .
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I dont know why but the first thing I tried was pushing the cone in to
see if I could identify that rasping effect when a speaker has blown.
Dont know why I did this as the speaker has obviously not blown (the
bass is still quite good. And for some reason I have never
understood, the surrounds in those old speakers aren't made of rubber
which disintegrates so that isnt a problem) in that way but what I
didnt try was to push eccentrically and see if there was any
resistance.

I suspect I am going to have to get them over to Miller Sound at some
time to rebuild (along with a pair of AR3s I have which have badly
corroded cross-overs) but what I was wondering was whether this sound
was likely to make the speaker terminal.

Incidentally the snake behind the woofer is the best description of
what I can actually hear! (a snake with a volume control, that is)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Jul 20, 6:46 pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Reverend Fuzzy"

If there is a cross-over board in the case, you may have an
electrolytic capacitor going bad.
When they over heat, they'll make those sort of noises.

** That is utterly bizarre crap.

.... Phil

Not half as bizarre as your instant flaming of something I have seen
happen in my personal experience. If you haven't seen it, yourself,
don't just call my answer crap... PROVE it can't happen.

And you've seen electrolitics in cross-overs overheating and hissing?
I'm with Phil on this one...

For once, so am I, although oddly enough, just today I had a non-polarised
electro in the crossover of a JVC home cinema speaker, that had bulged so
badly that it had split open. I suppose that when the can actually ruptured,
it might have hissed for a few microseconds ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Amanda Ripanykhazov"

And for some reason I have never
understood, the surrounds in those old speakers aren't made of rubber
which disintegrates so that isnt a problem

** The AR11 woofer has a FOAM surround - all foam surrounds disintegrate
after about 10 to 20 years.

Most woofers made these days use rubber (aka roll) surrounds which have an
indefinite life excepting the odd case of adhesive failure.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
[...]

I know it is a silly question, but are you SURE that the hiss isn't
coming out of your amplifier?
(have you put a scope on the speaker lines or substituted either speaker
or amp?)

From your description, it isn't clear to me that you have eliminated the
'more obvious' possibility that your amplifier is putting out white
noise, perhaps intermittently varying in amplitude.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 24, 7:21*am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
[...]

*From your description, it isn't clear to me that you have eliminated the
'more obvious' possibility that your amplifier is putting out white
noise, perhaps intermittently varying in amplitude.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, switching one speaker pretty much solved that one.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Amanda Ripanykhazov" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 7:21 am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
[...]

From your description, it isn't clear to me that you have eliminated the
'more obvious' possibility that your amplifier is putting out white
noise, perhaps intermittently varying in amplitude.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, switching one speaker pretty much solved that one.

What, solved it as in proved that the amplifier *was* the cause, or solved
it as in it wasn't ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 24, 7:21 am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
[...]

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
stopped? When I put the speaker in again, the hissing sound started
again
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 24, 7:21 am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
[...]

From your description, it isn't clear to me that you have eliminated
the
'more obvious' possibility that your amplifier is putting out white
noise, perhaps intermittently varying in amplitude.- Hide quoted
text -

Yeah, switching one speaker pretty much solved that one.

What, solved it as in proved that the amplifier *was* the cause, or
solved
it as in it wasn't ?

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
stopped? When I put the speaker in again, the hissing sound started
again

I don't suppose that you are just comparing apples and oranges here, are you
? All amplifiers hiss to some degree - generally, although not always,
semiconductor ones more so than tube ones. It's not unusual for one channel
to be a little noisier than the other, so you might hear it more on one side
than the other. If you swap a different speaker onto the hissy channel, the
one that you are swapping in, might not have as good a frequency response as
the one you are taking off, so you might not hear the hiss, and think that
you've cured a problem that's not really there in the first place. I guess
you could also have a defective tweeter or crossover in the speaker that you
*think* is good, because it doesn't hiss, when in fact it is actually bad,
because it's not managing to reproduce the hiss that is a characteristic of
the amp, whereas the other one that you think is bad *is* reproducing it.

If you see what I mean ...

Can you hear hiss in headphones plugged into it ? If so, is it equal between
channels. Does it change depending on what input you have selected on the
amp ? Have you tried swapping the speakers that are always connected to the
system, between channels, rather than swapping in different speakers of
possibly unknown condition and specification. One thing at a time, is the
way forward with this sort of 'problem'

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 24, 7:21 am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
irregular: =A0It isnt related to the music or any movement of the co=

ne
or any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound =

is
put through the speaker.

Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever i=

coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
adjustment of the volume control. =A0Andit is louder than most signa=

ls
put through the woofer itself??

Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to peop=

le
improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
speaker completely). =A0This speaker is quite elderly and I would
imagine that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly dir=

ty
by now

I know it is a silly question, but are you SURE that the hiss isn't
coming out of your amplifier?
(have you put a scope on the speaker lines or substituted either speak=

er
or amp?)

=A0From your description, it isn't clear to me that you have eliminate=

d the

-

Yeah, switching one speaker pretty much solved that one.

What, solved it as in proved that the amplifier *was* the cause, or solve=

it as in it wasn't ?

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
stopped? When I put the speaker in again, the hissing sound started
again

I don't know if my question was ever answered. Where is the hissing
comming from ? Behind speakers means behind the box.

If you can't tell from listening, use a piece of tubing to get location.
You can get it down to less than an inch.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 24, 7:21 am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
[...]

greg- Hide quoted text -

I thought I made this point in the second posting by saying what I did
to try to trace it by pushing in the woofer (you cant push in a
tweeter that easily), the sound is coming from behind the woofer.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Amanda Ripanykhazov" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 12:43 pm, (GregS) wrote:
In article
, Amanda

On Jul 24, 7:21 am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking now that this is a windup. Looking at the the account that this
has come from.

dmanzaluni ?

Yes, I think that's maybe true ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:05:54 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

I thought I made this point in the second posting by saying what I did
to try to trace it by pushing in the woofer (you cant push in a tweeter
that easily), the sound is coming from behind the woofer.

I'm thinking now that this is a windup. Looking at the the account that
this has come from.

dmanzaluni ?

Yes, I think that's maybe true ...

Arfa

My reply to the original post was something like "check to see if there
is a snake behind the speaker."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My reply to the original post was something like
"check to see if there is a snake behind the speaker."

I will sometimes reject as a troll a posting that everyone else accepts,
simply because it doesn't "ring true".

Most people do such a bad job of describing what's going on, that a
perfectly legitimate (though odd) situation can come out sounding quite
phony.

I'm starting to think this is a fake.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:29:02 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

My reply to the original post was something like "check to see if there
is a snake behind the speaker."

I will sometimes reject as a troll a posting that everyone else accepts,
simply because it doesn't "ring true".

Most people do such a bad job of describing what's going on, that a
perfectly legitimate (though odd) situation can come out sounding quite
phony.

I'm starting to think this is a fake.

I knew it from the start. It's in my blood
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you for your confidence everyone: If I wanted to wind everyone
up, dont you think I would have found a funnier way of doing it than
this?

If someone can get me a way of posting a wav file to a NG, let me know
and I will stick a microphone in front of the speaker and post
whatever it records

Meanwhile I will take the speaker out and report back if/when I have a
result
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:03:39 -0700, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:

Thank you for your confidence everyone: If I wanted to wind everyone up,
dont you think I would have found a funnier way of doing it than this?

Not if you're just not too funny in the first place.

If someone can get me a way of posting a wav file to a NG, let me know
and I will stick a microphone in front of the speaker and post whatever
it records

Meanwhile I will take the speaker out and report back if/when I have a
result

But you've already subbed the speaker and the hiss went away or so I
thought I had previously read.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you for your confidence everyone: If I wanted to wind
everyone up, dont you think I would have found a funnier way
of doing it than this?

You'd be amazed at some of the stupid stuff you see in UseNet groups. I've
never seen any of these that were actually funny.

The problem is that you are describing something that doesn't seem to make
any sense, or have any obvious explanation. This quite naturally makes
people suspicious.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meanwhile I will take the speaker out and report back
if/when I have a result

But you've already subbed the speaker and the hiss went
away or so I thought I had previously read.

And no one here is aware of a "mechanism" that causes speakers to produce
hissing sounds on their own, especially when you say the sound is not
related to the program material or its volume.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:01:33 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Meanwhile I will take the speaker out and report back if/when I have a
result

But you've already subbed the speaker and the hiss went away or so I
thought I had previously read.

And no one here is aware of a "mechanism" that causes speakers to
produce hissing sounds on their own, especially when you say the sound
is not related to the program material or its volume.

Especially if it is just a passive enclosure. Now a woofer with a built
in amp is an entirely different story.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Thank you for your confidence everyone: If I wanted to wind
everyone up, dont you think I would have found a funnier way
of doing it than this?

You'd be amazed at some of the stupid stuff you see in UseNet groups. I've
never seen any of these that were actually funny.

The problem is that you are describing something that doesn't seem to make
any sense, or have any obvious explanation. This quite naturally makes
people suspicious.

Also, the source sounds suspicious, you must admit ? I mean, dmanzaluni ?
That must be "the man's a loony", mustn't it ? And the nic. Ripanykhazov.
"Rippin' ya clothes off" maybe ?

Dunno. Sorry if I'm being unfair to you, but the more I look at this, the
more it doesn't make any sense, and the more it begins to look like a usenet
windup ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dunno. Sorry if I'm being unfair to you, but the more I look
at this, the more it doesn't make any sense, and the more
it begins to look like a usenet windup ...

Of course, if it is true, we might read the following in the newspaper...

Woman killed by poisonous snake

Miss so-and-so was killed yesterday when bitten by a viper hiding behind one
of her loudspeakers. The animal had curled up there for warmth, and had
attracted her attention by making random hissing noises when music was
played.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 31/07/2010 01:35, Arfa Daily wrote:

Also, the source sounds suspicious, you must admit ? I mean, dmanzaluni
? That must be "the man's a loony", mustn't it ? And the nic.
Ripanykhazov. "Rippin' ya clothes off" maybe ?

Rip her knickers off, Shirley
Get the free SPAMfighter he http://www.spamfighter.com/len

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 30, 5:41*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:03:39 -0700, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
Thank you for your confidence everyone: If I wanted to wind everyone up,
dont you think I would have found a funnier way of doing it than this?

Not if you're just not too funny in the first place.

If someone can get me a way of posting a wav file to a NG, let me know
and I will stick a microphone in front of the speaker and post whatever
it records

Meanwhile I will take the speaker out and report back if/when I have a
result

But you've already subbed the speaker and the hiss went away or so I
thought I had previously read.

Call me an old cynic and obviously I am not a technical expert but
doesnt simple logic mandate that when you sub a speaker and the sound
goes away, all it means is that (what I thought blindingly obvious
from the symptoms and there being no apparent logical connection
between the source and the hissing, which was why I posted he
Because "The problem is that you are describing something that doesn't
seem to make any sense, or have any obvious explanation" so I wondered
whether anyone had come across it before) the sound wasnt coming from
the source? Or did I have to add that when i put the speaker back
again, the sound came back?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Call me an old cynic and obviously I am not a technical expert but
doesnt simple logic mandate that when you sub a speaker and the
sound goes away, all it means is that (what I thought blindingly obvious
from the symptoms and there being no apparent logical connection
between the source and the hissing, which was why I posted he
Because "The problem is that you are describing something that doesn't
seem to make any sense, or have any obvious explanation" so I wondered
whether anyone had come across it before) the sound wasnt coming from
the source? Or did I have to add that when i put the speaker back
again, the sound came back?

Your speakers are passive devices. They cannot make any sort of sound on
their own.

If hissing is coming from one of them (but not the other, when driven from
the same amp), the speaker must be therefore be the source of the hiss. But
as there is nothing in the speaker that could, by itself, create sound, then
the speaker must be altering or distorting its input to produce the hiss.
However, you say that the presence or level of the hiss is not related to
the program material.

This makes no sense. The logical conclusion is that A: you are grossly
mis-describing the symptoms, or B: this is a troll.

I think it's B. I really don't have any more time for this tsuris/tsimmes.
Take your pick.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:

[...]

check for electrical devices adjacent to the speaker, inside and outside
of the wall. Your speaker coil maybe in the path of an induced magnetic
field from a device near by..

etc..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 31, 9:30*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
[...]

There is a slight possibility that there is an issue with the
crossover in this speaker that de-stabilizes the driving amplifier,
causing an HF oscillation in the amp, yet the amp IS stable with the
other speaker.
I worked on an Pioneer amp that was marginally stable and would
oscillate depending on the load. The clue it was oscillating was a
'sizzle' in the speaker and the overload lamp was always lit. Other
than that it appeared to work fine to the owners old ears, although
there was a slightly perceptable clipping distortion on louder
passages. A slight adjustment of the R-C feedback in the amp returned
the rock solid stability and eliminated the perceived 'hiss'.
That system had been to two 'professional' shops; one said there was
nothing wrong and the other said it could not be repaired.

Neil S.