Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default hissing sound coming from behind woofer on one side AR11

The capacitors in decent speaker crossovers are never
electrolytics, so they don't generally deteriorate over time.

Never? I haven't checked "decent" speakers lately, but the AR11 is from an
era when non-polar electrolytics were commonly used. Even inexpensive Mylar
caps cost more than electrolytics.

The tendency toward two-way designs (the AR11 is three-way) has raised the
crossover point to a frequency that makes the use of a film cap
more-practical. But even "the" classic two-way speaker (The Advent Speaker)
used an electrolytic.

The DQ-10 was one of the first speakers to use film caps. The original
version used mostly electrolytics; the changeover occurred several years
into production. In exchange for loaning him a pair of Pearl mics, Jon sent
me a box of cheap Mexican Mylar caps, and I repopulated the crossovers. I
was in such a rush to get it all done, that I didn't leave one of my four
DQ-10s unmodded, and wasn't able to make a valid comparison.

I /was/ going to suggest a mechanical problem with the woofer or midrange,
but the OP /specifically stated/ that the hissing sound had no relationship
with what was playing, or how loud it was, or /any movement of the cone/.