Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default hissing sound coming from behind woofer on one side AR11

"Amanda Ripanykhazov" wrote in message
On Jul 26, 4:11 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Amanda Ripanykhazov" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 7:21 am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
irregular: It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone
or any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound
is
put through the speaker.

Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever
is
coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
adjustment of the volume control. Andit is louder than most signals
put through the woofer itself??

Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to
people
improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
speaker completely). This speaker is quite elderly and I would
imagine that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly
dirty
by now

I know it is a silly question, but are you SURE that the hiss isn't
coming out of your amplifier?
(have you put a scope on the speaker lines or substituted either
speaker
or amp?)

From your description, it isn't clear to me that you have eliminated
the
'more obvious' possibility that your amplifier is putting out white
noise, perhaps intermittently varying in amplitude.- Hide quoted
text -

Yeah, switching one speaker pretty much solved that one.

What, solved it as in proved that the amplifier *was* the cause, or
solved
it as in it wasn't ?

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
stopped? When I put the speaker in again, the hissing sound started
again

I don't suppose that you are just comparing apples and oranges here, are you
? All amplifiers hiss to some degree - generally, although not always,
semiconductor ones more so than tube ones. It's not unusual for one channel
to be a little noisier than the other, so you might hear it more on one side
than the other. If you swap a different speaker onto the hissy channel, the
one that you are swapping in, might not have as good a frequency response as
the one you are taking off, so you might not hear the hiss, and think that
you've cured a problem that's not really there in the first place. I guess
you could also have a defective tweeter or crossover in the speaker that you
*think* is good, because it doesn't hiss, when in fact it is actually bad,
because it's not managing to reproduce the hiss that is a characteristic of
the amp, whereas the other one that you think is bad *is* reproducing it.

If you see what I mean ...

Can you hear hiss in headphones plugged into it ? If so, is it equal between
channels. Does it change depending on what input you have selected on the
amp ? Have you tried swapping the speakers that are always connected to the
system, between channels, rather than swapping in different speakers of
possibly unknown condition and specification. One thing at a time, is the
way forward with this sort of 'problem'

Arfa