Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Amanda Ripanykhazov Amanda Ripanykhazov is offline

Default hissing sound coming from behind woofer on one side AR11

On Jul 26, 4:11*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Amanda Ripanykhazov" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 7:21 am, bz wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
Anyone know what this means? This hissing sound isnt constant, it is
irregular: *It isnt related to the music or any movement of the cone
or any signal put through it, though it doesnt happen when no sound is
put through the speaker.

Frankly it sounds more mechancial than electronic (as if there is
something behind there!) but as I say, it isnt related to whatever is
coming through the speaker though it does increase and decrease with
adjustment of the volume control. *Andit is louder than most signals
put through the woofer itself??

Is it indicative of some pot in the crossover needing cleaning or is
there something else going on please? (I have seen reference to people
improving the sound of AR11s by bypassing the tone controls in the
speaker completely). *This speaker is quite elderly and I would
imagine that if it does use mechanical pots, they must be fairly dirty
by now

I know it is a silly question, but are you SURE that the hiss isn't
coming out of your amplifier?
(have you put a scope on the speaker lines or substituted either speaker
or amp?)

*From your description, it isn't clear to me that you have eliminated the
'more obvious' possibility that your amplifier is putting out white
noise, perhaps intermittently varying in amplitude.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, switching one speaker pretty much solved that one.

What, solved it as in proved that the amplifier *was* the cause, or solved
it as in it wasn't ?

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

When I took out the speaker and put in another one, the hissing sound
stopped? When I put the speaker in again, the hissing sound started
again