Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nesesu nesesu is offline

Default hissing sound coming from behind woofer on one side AR11

On Jul 31, 9:30*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Call me an old cynic and obviously I am not a technical expert but
doesnt simple logic mandate that when you sub a speaker and the
sound goes away, all it means is that (what I thought blindingly obvious
from the symptoms and there being no apparent logical connection
between the source and the hissing, which was why I posted he
Because "The problem is that you are describing something that doesn't
seem to make any sense, or have any obvious explanation" so I wondered
whether anyone had come across it before) the sound wasnt coming from
the source? Or did I have to add that when i put the speaker back
again, the sound came back?

Your speakers are passive devices. They cannot make any sort of sound on
their own.

If hissing is coming from one of them (but not the other, when driven from
the same amp), the speaker must be therefore be the source of the hiss. But
as there is nothing in the speaker that could, by itself, create sound, then
the speaker must be altering or distorting its input to produce the hiss.
However, you say that the presence or level of the hiss is not related to
the program material.

This makes no sense. The logical conclusion is that A: you are grossly
mis-describing the symptoms, or B: this is a troll.

I think it's B. I really don't have any more time for this tsuris/tsimmes..
Take your pick.

There is a slight possibility that there is an issue with the
crossover in this speaker that de-stabilizes the driving amplifier,
causing an HF oscillation in the amp, yet the amp IS stable with the
other speaker.
I worked on an Pioneer amp that was marginally stable and would
oscillate depending on the load. The clue it was oscillating was a
'sizzle' in the speaker and the overload lamp was always lit. Other
than that it appeared to work fine to the owners old ears, although
there was a slightly perceptable clipping distortion on louder
passages. A slight adjustment of the R-C feedback in the amp returned
the rock solid stability and eliminated the perceived 'hiss'.
That system had been to two 'professional' shops; one said there was
nothing wrong and the other said it could not be repaired.

Neil S.