Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Makes Hissing Sound

About three weeks ago my, water heater died and we had it replaced.
When they did so, they had to add a tank on the top of the water
heater that was not their before (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?
action=productDetail&productId=160680-48324-LET-2&lpage=none not the
exact one but its basically the same thing). Its now required in my
city due to some water meter changes the city made. Anyway, as soon as
the guys (yes I hired someone) finished the toilet started to hiss. I
don't think that an abnormal amount of water is going from the tank to
the bowl so its not a constant refilling issue. If I close the shut
off value the noise stops, and when I open the value the noise starts
again. If I leave the valve open for a few days the noise gets louder
(it gets to the point of annoying and then I close the valve). Here is
another strange point. I was changing a hot water shut off value in
the kitchen, and I noticed when I close the hot water valve coming
from the water heater the noise in the toilet jumped.

Anyway, whats going on to make the hissing noise?

Should I just get one of those replacement kits at Home Depot or Lowes
and see what happens (noticed they are less than $15).

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

runsrealfast wrote:

[...]

Dous the hissing sound stop if you take the top off the toilet tank and
lift up on the valve float?

If it does, you may have a leaking flapper valve, they're pretty easy to
change.

If it doesn't stop when you lift the float, repair (install new seals)
or completely replace the fill valve.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Mar 2007 14:12:57 -0700, "runsrealfast"
wrote:

[...]

Is the water level in the tank overflowing? Or is the tank refilling
without anyone flushing it?

later,

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

No really overflowing. I have noticed that there is more water in the
tank than there should be (water level is above the hard water
stains).

Or is the tank refilling
without anyone flushing it?

I don't think the tank is refilling itself. I did the dye test a few
weeks ago and after 20 minutes had a very tiny bit of dyed water in
the bowl.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you didn't diddle with anything after you put the dye in the toilet
tank then ANY visible amount of dye in the bowl water indicates an
unacceptable leak past the flap valve or possibly through the wall or
around the feedthrough of the overflow tube.

Your probably correct, but based on the noise there would be much more
water moving from the tank to the bowl that I observed.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When you close the toilet stop valve how long does water stay in the
tank? Is it pretty much full several hours later, or near empty?

That'd give you an idea of how fast the water is flowing.

I haven't tried the dye test while turning off the water, but there
hasn't ever been a noticeable water loss (if any) in bowl or tank
while the valve being shut overnight. Not sure how to test this as I
can't control if someone needs to use the toilet (only one in home,
which sucks). Either way I do think I should just replace everything
inside with one of those replacement kits as the cost is pretty low.
Who knows its possible that its corroded with hard water, I just had
to replace a hot water shut off valve in the kitchen and the friend
who helped me with it figures that my water softener has not been in
the home very long (I have been there 6 months, its a 20 yr old home)
as the valve was in real bad shape.

John

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

At this point I think I'd agree that changing the fill valve and the
flapper valve is in order. You seem to have narrowed it down by showing
the noise only occurs when the supply shut off is open.

But, the results you're getting are inconsistant with a leaking shutoff
valve unless for some reason the "leak" is caused by the little bowl
refill tube (about 1/4" diameter) which sticks down into the overflow
tube. If that refill tube is stuck down too far into the tube, so its
end is BELOW the "full" water level in the tank, then it can syphon
water out of the tank which keeps getting replenished by the fill valve
opening slightly, which could account for the hissing noise.

When you shut off the supply, that syphoning will only continue until
the tank's water level drops to the point where it's at the same height
as the end of that little refill tube.

So, check the position of the open end of the little bowl refill tube
and see if what I just explained might apply.

Keep us informed...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take a peek at these sites listed. It may give you some insight on
your problem.

1) http://www.halifax.ca/hrwc/ThermalEx...Awareness.html

2) http://www.leesburgva.gov/services/u...og_thermal.pdf

Do a search on Google for more info........"thermal water heater
expansion tank toilet"

But it sounds to me that either.........
1) the heater may be set to a very high temp and causing thermal
expansion that your new expansion tank cant handle ( check setting of
your water heater temp , set for between 115-125 degrees.

2) Your toilet could have its own expansion relief valve. If not, then
this is one of the signs ( hissing ) of thermal expansion.

Either way, thermal expansion is too high and must be dealt with.

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:12:57 -0700, runsrealfast wrote:

[...]

So your saying when the toiled is filling it now makes a new noise? This
is likely not a problem with the toilet but with the valve/hose to the
toilet. Probably the pressure in the pipes has changed and now it hisses.
I reinstalled guts in most of my toilets since they all failed (3 years
old, **** Gerber). But the hose to the toilet was plastic and I think
when I reinstalled them, I did not have them straight enough. So water
passing through them would make a LOUD sound while the toilet filled.
Took a while to figure that one out.

Also on the master bath toilet there was some debris inside the shutoff
valve. No idea how that got there.

Anyway, whats going on to make the hissing noise?

Should I just get one of those replacement kits at Home Depot or Lowes
and see what happens (noticed they are less than $15).

John

Its more of a pressure problem and likely the hissing is not from inside
the tank but at the shutoff valve. Make sure the hose is not crimped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

IMHO:

Maybe the tank is draining, per your test, and the fill valve is now
throttled to maintain the level. Meaning a little is leaking by the
flapper, and then some water is being entered into the tank and that
is making the sound.

Since I don't like wasting resources, since it usually comes as
wasting money for me, I would check the flapper. It could just need a
wiping down with a clean rag. If not have someone who knows what they
are doing to help diagnose/fix the problem.

Just a guess...

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A good question could be, after the stop valve is closed, does the
hissing sound decrease with time, and then disapears?

Just an observation....

tom @ www.FreeCreditReportAdvice.com

tank? Is it pretty much full several hours later, or near empty?

That'd give you an idea of how fast the water is flowing.

Jeff

Nokia TV model 7174 hissing sound Bart Bervoets Electronics Repair 0 August 9th 06 11:48 AM
Steam Heat Hissing Sound Bnchs400 Home Repair 2 January 28th 06 07:39 AM
TV makes a chirping sound which gets louder when the picture gets brighter Ville Aakko Electronics Repair 1 September 22nd 05 06:21 PM
Duct makes a Thud Sound CJ Home Repair 8 January 22nd 05 04:02 PM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM