Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Toilet Makes Hissing Sound

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:12:57 -0700, runsrealfast wrote:

About three weeks ago my, water heater died and we had it replaced.
When they did so, they had to add a tank on the top of the water
heater that was not their before (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?
action=productDetail&productId=160680-48324-LET-2&lpage=none not the
exact one but its basically the same thing). Its now required in my
city due to some water meter changes the city made. Anyway, as soon as
the guys (yes I hired someone) finished the toilet started to hiss. I
don't think that an abnormal amount of water is going from the tank to
the bowl so its not a constant refilling issue. If I close the shut
off value the noise stops, and when I open the value the noise starts
again. If I leave the valve open for a few days the noise gets louder
(it gets to the point of annoying and then I close the valve). Here is
another strange point. I was changing a hot water shut off value in
the kitchen, and I noticed when I close the hot water valve coming
from the water heater the noise in the toilet jumped.

So your saying when the toiled is filling it now makes a new noise? This
is likely not a problem with the toilet but with the valve/hose to the
toilet. Probably the pressure in the pipes has changed and now it hisses.
I reinstalled guts in most of my toilets since they all failed (3 years
old, **** Gerber). But the hose to the toilet was plastic and I think
when I reinstalled them, I did not have them straight enough. So water
passing through them would make a LOUD sound while the toilet filled.
Took a while to figure that one out.

Also on the master bath toilet there was some debris inside the shutoff
valve. No idea how that got there.

Anyway, whats going on to make the hissing noise?

Should I just get one of those replacement kits at Home Depot or Lowes
and see what happens (noticed they are less than $15).

John

Its more of a pressure problem and likely the hissing is not from inside
the tank but at the shutoff valve. Make sure the hose is not crimped.