CJ

Default Duct makes a Thud Sound

Is there anything that can be done to completely stop an annoying, "loud,
thud noise" that a duct is making? Repeatedly, about every 10 seconds, there
is only one duct in the basement that must be expanding/contracting and then
makes a loud thud sound.

The basement is unfinished and it's been difficult to determine exactly
which duct is making this noise. The noise is occuring only late at night
(and we haven't got a clue why it doesn't happen during the daytime) and the
loud noise is quite irritating (there are no ghosts that we know of).

We've checked to make sure that all the basement ducts are fully opened and
have also opened all the registers located in the ducts ... at first, these
adjustments seemed to lengthen the time between the "loud, thud noise" but
it has not entirely stopped the noise.

Closing the register in one of the bedrooms also seemed to helped, but
leaving this register closed is not a viable long term option. We suspected
this was helping because it is trapping heat for a longer time in the duct,
but we don't know for certain.

The home and furnace are 18 years old.

Thanks.

xrongor

start by finding the thud.. shouldnt be too hard, you say it happens every
10 seconds...

i suspect the fix will become clear once that is done.

randy

"CJ" wrote in message
[...]

DN B

The most likely place is close to the furnace in the return air
duct..especially in the middle of a long duct section. It is referred to
as :'Duct Boom' . Usually caused by thinner sheetmetal . Simply push on
the center of each long section of return air duct , near the furnace,
and duplicate the noise youre hearing. Then add a brace across the
entire section of that area and screw it on. This will hopefully stop
the duct from vibrating/being sucked in. If for some reason you cant
add a brace due to space limitations...then wedge something in there to
stop the noise. Good luck.

Alan

"DN B" wrote in message
The most likely place is close to the furnace in the return air
duct..especially in the middle of a long duct section. It is referred to
as :'Duct Boom' . Usually caused by thinner sheetmetal . Simply push on
the center of each long section of return air duct , near the furnace,
and duplicate the noise youre hearing. Then add a brace across the
entire section of that area and screw it on. This will hopefully stop
the duct from vibrating/being sucked in. If for some reason you cant
add a brace due to space limitations...then wedge something in there to
stop the noise. Good luck.

I had the same problem, and just wedged something against the duct so it
stayed pushed in.

Matt

I too had this problem.

What I did was to get out my SKS, and fire a few rounds into the ducts
about every 4 feet. Eventually, I heard a scream, and Bruce Willis came
out. He was really ****ed, but I told him: Look man, if you are going
to film Die Hard 4 in my house, you should have asked me first. He
agreed. Then I got him a band aid to put over the spot where his left
leg used to be, and we had a beer. He's really a pretty cool guy.

DN B

'What I did was to get out my SKS, and fire a few rounds into the ducts
about every 4 feet. Eventually, I heard a scream, and Bruce Willis came
out. He was really ****ed, but I told him: Look man, if you are going to
film Die Hard 4 in my house, you should have asked me first. He agreed.
Then I got him a band aid to put over the spot where his left leg used
to be, and we had a beer. He's really a pretty cool guy.'

I hope he had enough courtesy to not go and bleed all over the place

Ross Mac

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I too had this problem.

What I did was to get out my SKS, and fire a few rounds into the ducts
about every 4 feet. Eventually, I heard a scream, and Bruce Willis came
out. He was really ****ed, but I told him: Look man, if you are going
to film Die Hard 4 in my house, you should have asked me first. He
agreed. Then I got him a band aid to put over the spot where his left
leg used to be, and we had a beer. He's really a pretty cool guy.

Hey Matt, remind me not to accept an invitation to hang out at your
place!....I got a kick out of your post....take care, Ross

Ross Mac

"Guru Harnishma" wrote in message
Dude !!!!

You are really confused, man,,,
Like I think you done way too many bad drugs.

First you say "there is only one duct in the basement"

Then you say "it's been difficult to determine exactly
which duct is making this noise."

OK, if there is ONLY ONE. Why do you have to determine which one it
is? DUH !!!!

Like, use your brain, dude.....
Get off the crack and the beer for a few hours and take some mind
expanding drugs like some acid. Then grab your recliner and put it
under that duct and trip out on the sounds it makes. Pretty soon
you'll be able to hear all the way thru that duct, all the way to the
core of the earth. (Thats where they begin). You'll hear volcanos
erupting and then the earth will quake. That's what causes the bang
sound. You see, there are earthquakes every 10 minutes or so, deep in
the bowels of the earth. Thats what you are hearing. If you are
really tripped out, you might even hear people from other countries
talking, because their ducts carry their voices to the same place, and
if you close your eyes, you could even have a religious miracle and
see Jesus walking thru that duct, chasing after the devil because
everyone knows that the devil lives in the fires buried deep within
the earth, and that is why everyone says hell is down.

Anyhow, when the trip wears off and you are back to doing your usual
boring drugs like prozac, caffeine, and alcohol. You'll have a whole
new appreciation of those bangs. Instead of being annoying and
terrible bangs, they will sound like an orchestra of angels singing in
a beautiful choir and you'll remember seeing Jesus chasing the devil
out of your house and if you close your eyes, you may even hear the
earthquakes thundering at the very core of the earth and for one
fraction of a second in space, you will flashback into a deja-vu trip
and become one with the universe, before returning to your boring
daily routine, which is stressing you out far too much, causing you to
experience trauma and elevating your blood pressure, which could lead
to a stroke if you do not learn to accept the sounds of nature and
hear the birds singing every day no matter what you are doing or where
ever you are.

Your current elevation, flat plains, planet earth, cityscape,
boringville.

Your destination, soaring like an eagle above the trees surrounded by
the sounds of banging birds chirping in the ductwork that connects the
planets and holds the entire universe together to warm the hearts of
every living being as they all hold hands and sing praises to the
almighty one.

It's up to you to accept.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Have a great day.

Guru Harnishma

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:30:59 -0500, "CJ" wrote:

[...]

Doesn't sound like the 12 step program is working...

the THUD was the sound of dave's **** hitting the
fan---------------WHERE'S THE PROOF YA ****HEAD?