Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Default Repair or despair? Natalie or Jim?

"Michael A. Terrell" k.net wrote in message
Wickeddoll wrote:

I'd rather try to get this freak off Usenet, instead of having to go to
great lengths to avoid him. That's not fair to us, especially since what
he's doing is against all NG program policies I've ever read.

We need a bunch of angry villagers, all armed with pitchforks and
torches to storm his place, to burn his computer at the stake! ;-)

Works for me...

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Default Off-topic - was Repair or despair? Natalie or Jim?

"Wickeddoll" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily"

"Wickeddoll" ..

"Hachiroku ????"
Arfa Daily wrote:
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

*snipping assorted geekery*

Nerds.

;-D

Natalie

It's a REPAIR group for goodness sake ! We are nerds and geeks by
nature, not because we were playing big boys' computers before you were
born ...

Arfa

Lighten up - I was joking. This is also cross-posted to a Toyota group.
I don't think personal computers existed before 1958, by the way.

Natalie

Yeah - jokin' too. No offence intended !

Arfa

Mea culpa - your post sounded ****y to me.

:-)

Natalie

It was intended to be pithy rather than ****y. You were implying that we of
old computers were nerds and geeks because of that. I was just telling you
that on a repair group, service personnel are actually nerds and geeks by
nature (or at least considered to be by most punters ... )

A misinterpretation both ways of subtle humour, I think ... Happy New
Year to yuh !! d;~}

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Hachiroku ????" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:22:21 +0000, Dan Bloomquist wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dan Bloomquist" wrote in message
ron wrote:
sounds like a case of paranoia. About the same as we have with big
brother personally monitoring ALL of your phone calls. Just make sure
you don't mention that your dessert for Christmas dinner bombed or you
will make all the rest in prison! I was trying to do the math on how
many people it would take to monitor all the phone calls - I gave up.

You don't have a clue, do you?

If it ain't on network news right after the football game, most of
America hasn't a clue....

Bingo.

So? Like dude said, who cares if James Bond is watching? Something to
hide?

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't murdered?

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Arfa Daily"

"Wickeddoll" ..

"Hachiroku ????"
Arfa Daily wrote:
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

[...]

Well, as the mother of a member of the Best Buy Geek Squad, I can't throw
stones at that...

A misinterpretation both ways of subtle humour, I think ... Happy New
Year to yuh !! d;~}

Arfa

Backatcha! You *are* a geek - never saw the smiley wearing a cap before!

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't murdered?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Arfa Daily wrote:
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

[...]

Why, thankya ma'am !!

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't murdered?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me ...

Arfa

So, crime is OK with you. Certain aspects of the patriot act are in
violation of the REAL law of the land. You're OK with that.

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So, crime is OK with you. Certain aspects of the patriot act are in
violation of the REAL law of the land. You're OK with that.

Arfa is in England, so please explain how the 'patriot act' affects
him?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:37:58 -0600, clifto wrote:

Hachiroku ???? wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:33:03 +0000, Clarissa wrote:

Mike lives in Clapham, South London, he first began his postings to
usenet, BBS, and online forums back in 1996, which is long before most
of you, especially google gropers, learned of he internet let alone
knew how to use it.

I've been on Usenet since it was DARPAnet/UUNet...

So what?

So you must be being watched by MI5 as well, no?

Come to think of it, I've had a feed since my UUCP feed circa 1990. Uh oh.

LOL! YUP, 007 is watching us ALL!!! OH NO!!!

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:

I'd rather try to get this freak off Usenet, instead of having to go to
great lengths to avoid him. That's not fair to us, especially since
what he's doing is against all NG program policies I've ever read.

We need a bunch of angry villagers, all armed with pitchforks and
torches to storm his place, to burn his computer at the stake! ;-)

Works for me...

Natalie

Careful, you guys. Remember, we're in the presence of GREATNESS here!
After all, he's been on Usenet since 1996!

I am honered to be in the presence of the Old Man of the Mountains...

gee willikers...

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't murdered?

Huh? What does Internet monitoring have to do with murder?

Careful you don't back cut that limb you're out on...

What I said was, if he's not doing anything to attract attention, and
isn't doing anything he shouldn't then he has nothing to fear.

But he is in fear, so he's either paranoid or has something he want to do
on the Internet that he can't.

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't
murdered?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me ...

Arfa

So, crime is OK with you. Certain aspects of the patriot act are in
violation of the REAL law of the land. You're OK with that.

Allow me to explain. This is known as 'toungue in cheek' humour. It is a
*subtle* form of humour, often sparking off of some other situation, or
statement, as in this case. I would guess that most on here 'get it', but
clearly, it is a concept that passes you by ... ( this one is called
'having a laugh at someone elses expense' in case you don't get that either,
and is intended to be 'witty', not pointed ). :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So, crime is OK with you. Certain aspects of the patriot act are in
violation of the REAL law of the land. You're OK with that.

Arfa is in England, so please explain how the 'patriot act' affects
him?

Hi Michael - how goes it ? Trust you are (at least reasonably) well ? Just
got back from your side of the pond, but not from your locality this time.

Happy new year to ya !

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Arfa Daily wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote
"Arfa Daily" wrote
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't
murdered?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me ...

Arfa

So, crime is OK with you. Certain aspects of the patriot act are in
violation of the REAL law of the land. You're OK with that.

Allow me to explain. This is known as 'toungue in cheek' humour. It is a
*subtle* form of humour, often sparking off of some other situation, or
statement, as in this case. I would guess that most on here 'get it', but
clearly, it is a concept that passes you by ... ( this one is called
'having a laugh at someone elses expense' in case you don't get that either,
and is intended to be 'witty', not pointed ). :-)

Americans have great trouble understanding our (slightly black) humour.

The proof can be found here. They really don't get it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_comedy

Graham

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:
"Arfa Daily"
It was intended to be pithy rather than ****y. You were implying that we
of old computers were nerds and geeks because of that. I was just telling
you that on a repair group, service personnel are actually nerds and geeks
by nature (or at least considered to be by most punters ... )

Well, as the mother of a member of the Best Buy Geek Squad, I can't throw
stones at that...

That would be pitchy.

--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So, crime is OK with you. Certain aspects of the patriot act are in
violation of the REAL law of the land. You're OK with that.

Arfa is in England, so please explain how the 'patriot act' affects
him?

Read the progression of words in the three messages preceding your question.
If you don't understand, then no further explanation will be of any value to
you.

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't murdered?

Huh? What does Internet monitoring have to do with murder?

Careful you don't back cut that limb you're out on...

What I said was, if he's not doing anything to attract attention, and
isn't doing anything he shouldn't then he has nothing to fear.

But he is in fear, so he's either paranoid or has something he want to do
on the Internet that he can't.

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and begin
searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission to search.
What would be your thoughts on this?

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't murdered?

Huh? What does Internet monitoring have to do with murder?

Careful you don't back cut that limb you're out on...

What I said was, if he's not doing anything to attract attention, and
isn't doing anything he shouldn't then he has nothing to fear.

But he is in fear, so he's either paranoid or has something he want to do
on the Internet that he can't.

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and begin
searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission to search.
What would be your thoughts on this?

What you describe is what I'd call a police state.

So where's it happening ?

Graham

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Eeyore" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't
murdered?

Huh? What does Internet monitoring have to do with murder?

Careful you don't back cut that limb you're out on...

What I said was, if he's not doing anything to attract attention, and
isn't doing anything he shouldn't then he has nothing to fear.

But he is in fear, so he's either paranoid or has something he want to
do
on the Internet that he can't.

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and
begin
searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission to
search.
What would be your thoughts on this?

What you describe is what I'd call a police state.

So where's it happening ?

Graham

Please don't add clutter just yet. Wait until Hach answers my question,
please.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote
"Arfa Daily" wrote
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

Here's what you just said:

[...]

Huh? I don't see no stinkin' proof. Anyway, I'll agree that most
Americans are stupid, but I always assumed that most people everywhere
are. Still there are a great number of us who appreciate humor of a
sophistication or subtlety level somewhat above the average television
show. Arfa's comment may have been misinterpreted by some, but not by
this American, who clearly understood it as dry humor.

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"clifto" wrote in message
Wickeddoll wrote:
"Arfa Daily"
It was intended to be pithy rather than ****y. You were implying that we
of old computers were nerds and geeks because of that. I was just
telling
you that on a repair group, service personnel are actually nerds and
geeks
by nature (or at least considered to be by most punters ... )

Well, as the mother of a member of the Best Buy Geek Squad, I can't throw
stones at that...

That would be pitchy.

This gets better and better ! Any more ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote
"Arfa Daily" wrote
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

Here's what you just said:

[...]

Much as I expected most on here would ... :-)

Happy New Year to ya, Smitty !

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't
murdered?

Huh? What does Internet monitoring have to do with murder?

Careful you don't back cut that limb you're out on...

What I said was, if he's not doing anything to attract attention, and
isn't doing anything he shouldn't then he has nothing to fear.

But he is in fear, so he's either paranoid or has something he want to do
on the Internet that he can't.

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and begin
searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission to
search. What would be your thoughts on this?

Well in the UK, or the US, it just ain't gonna happen, so what's your point
? I think we're getting close to the point here of "When the hole that
you're digging gets too deep for you to get out on your own, stop ... "

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Happy New Year to ya, Smitty !

Likewise. Was Lady Luck kind to you in Vegas?
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Hachiroku ????"
Wickeddoll wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" k.net wrote in message
I'd rather try to get this freak off Usenet, instead of having to go to
great lengths to avoid him. That's not fair to us, especially since
what he's doing is against all NG program policies I've ever read.

We need a bunch of angry villagers, all armed with pitchforks and
torches to storm his place, to burn his computer at the stake! ;-)

Works for me...

Natalie

Careful, you guys. Remember, we're in the presence of GREATNESS here!
After all, he's been on Usenet since 1996!

I am honered to be in the presence of the Old Man of the Mountains...

gee willikers...

Er...the Old Man fell off the Mountain. It just couldn't hold up any
longer.

Don't you read the news?

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"clifto" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:
"Arfa Daily"
It was intended to be pithy rather than ****y. You were implying that we
of old computers were nerds and geeks because of that. I was just
telling
you that on a repair group, service personnel are actually nerds and
geeks
by nature (or at least considered to be by most punters ... )

Well, as the mother of a member of the Best Buy Geek Squad, I can't throw
stones at that...

That would be pitchy.

OK, you have this coming:

*fwap*

:-P

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Arfa Daily" ...

"clifto" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:
"Arfa Daily"
It was intended to be pithy rather than ****y. You were implying that
we
of old computers were nerds and geeks because of that. I was just
telling
you that on a repair group, service personnel are actually nerds and
geeks
by nature (or at least considered to be by most punters ... )

Well, as the mother of a member of the Best Buy Geek Squad, I can't
throw
stones at that...

That would be pitchy.

This gets better and better ! Any more ?

Arfa

Don't encourage him!

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:

Don't encourage him!

Yeah! He's already incorrigible!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Arfa Daily wrote:

Hi Michael - how goes it ? Trust you are (at least reasonably) well ? Just
got back from your side of the pond, but not from your locality this time.

I'm doing better. The pressure sores on my legs have started to
heal, and I got a newer truck. My old one quit on me twice in one day,
so I sent it to the car crusher. Too bad they don't take USENET trolls,
too.

Happy new year to ya !

Thanks. You too! I am finally doing well enough health wise, to
start rebuilding my shop.

Arfa

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and begin
searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission to search.
What would be your thoughts on this?

That they have way too much time to waste, and that all the doughnut
shops are closed. What would you be trying to hide from them in that
spare bedroom, Joe?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

[...]

"

Arfa

It ain't gonna happen? The U.S. has already found a way to suspend habeas
corpus. You're probably OK with that.

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

[...]

... "

Arfa

It ain't gonna happen? The U.S. has already found a way to suspend habeas
corpus. You're probably OK with that.

Unlike you LIEbrawls with your dope stashes *I* have nothing to hide.

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"dbu." wrote in message

Here's what you just said:

[...]

Habeas Corpus is not suspended, goofy.
--

It is, whenever the guvmint finds a need to do so. You like to mention the
Patriot Act when you feel it's convenient. You should read it sometime.

You won't, though. You don't read. Remember?

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dbu." wrote in message

Here's what you just said:

[...]

And padded by DB1959 and HB1955
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Arfa Daily wrote:

Hi Michael - how goes it ? Trust you are (at least reasonably) well ?
Just
got back from your side of the pond, but not from your locality this
time.

I'm doing better. The pressure sores on my legs have started to
heal, and I got a newer truck. My old one quit on me twice in one day,
so I sent it to the car crusher. Too bad they don't take USENET trolls,
too.

Happy new year to ya !

Thanks. You too! I am finally doing well enough health wise, to
start rebuilding my shop.

Glad to hear it. Stay cool, my man ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Arfa Daily wrote:
snip

Allow me to explain. This is known as 'toungue in cheek' humour. It is a
*subtle* form of humour, often sparking off of some other situation, or
statement, as in this case. I would guess that most on here 'get it', but
clearly, it is a concept that passes you by ... ( this one is called
'having a laugh at someone elses expense' in case you don't get that either,
and is intended to be 'witty', not pointed ). :-)

Arfa, this is probably from the Toyota group. I used to post there
until the political posts, most like the one to which you're responding,
started to outnumber the actual 'Toyota' threads. Even the ones which
started out being about cars, often drifted into politics.

It's a shame. I like Toyotas. I dropped out about four or five years
ago, but my Corolla is still going strong after 17 years. I think I've
put about 50k miles on it since alt.autos.toyota and I parted ways. I'm
sure they don't miss me.....

jak
Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"jakdedert" ...
Arfa Daily wrote:
snip

[...]

Did you use this nick? I don't remember it.

But yes, the politics have taken over, but as we always say, it's because we
don't have enough problems with our vehicles to compete with the off-topic
posts. I'd rather see a whole lot less rhetoric, but dammit I like many of
the regulars, so I tolerate it. I like conversing with them, occasionally
about politics, even.

:-)

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:
"jakdedert" ...
Arfa Daily wrote:
snip
[...]

I knew they wouldn't miss me.

But I remember you, Natalie. It's how I recognized where the dialog
was from (I only looked at the header to confirm.).

But yes, the politics have taken over, but as we always say, it's because we
don't have enough problems with our vehicles to compete with the off-topic
posts. I'd rather see a whole lot less rhetoric, but dammit I like many of
the regulars, so I tolerate it. I like conversing with them, occasionally
about politics, even.

Have fun then....

jak

:-)

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"jakdedert" ...
Arfa Daily wrote:
snip
[...]

I thought I might have remembered your ick, but then I thought, we have a
"Tak" that posts there, so I might have been mistaken. Don't take it
personally; the closer I get to 50, the less I remember :-P

But I remember you, Natalie. It's how I recognized where the dialog was
from (I only looked at the header to confirm.).

Now I feel *really* bad...

But yes, the politics have taken over, but as we always say, it's because
we don't have enough problems with our vehicles to compete with the
off-topic posts. I'd rather see a whole lot less rhetoric, but dammit I
like many of the regulars, so I tolerate it. I like conversing with
them, occasionally about politics, even.

Have fun then....

jak

Um...thanks?

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:23:46 -0500, Wickeddoll wrote:

"Hachiroku ????"
Wickeddoll wrote:

[...]

Yer kidding, right? I was working in VT at the time.