Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Default Repair or despair? Natalie or Jim?

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:55:26 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Hachiroku ????" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:51:14 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So? Like dude said, who cares if James Bond is watching? Something to
hide?

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't
murdered?

Huh? What does Internet monitoring have to do with murder?

Careful you don't back cut that limb you're out on...

What I said was, if he's not doing anything to attract attention, and
isn't doing anything he shouldn't then he has nothing to fear.

But he is in fear, so he's either paranoid or has something he want to
do on the Internet that he can't.

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and begin
searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission to
search. What would be your thoughts on this?

That's just a slight bit different.

Yeah, I'd have a problem with that.

I don't have a problem with them monitoring me trying to tell you why it's
not a bad thing.

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 23:50:05 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't
murdered?

Huh? What does Internet monitoring have to do with murder?

Careful you don't back cut that limb you're out on...

What I said was, if he's not doing anything to attract attention, and
isn't doing anything he shouldn't then he has nothing to fear.

But he is in fear, so he's either paranoid or has something he want to
do
on the Internet that he can't.

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and
begin searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission
to search. What would be your thoughts on this?

Well in the UK, or the US, it just ain't gonna happen, so what's your
point ? I think we're getting close to the point here of "When the hole
that you're digging gets too deep for you to get out on your own, stop
... "

Arfa

It ain't gonna happen? The U.S. has already found a way to suspend habeas
corpus. You're probably OK with that.

Who cares about Guantanamo?

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Hachiroku ????"
Wickeddoll wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" k.net wrote in message
I'd rather try to get this freak off Usenet, instead of having to go
to great lengths to avoid him. That's not fair to us, especially
since what he's doing is against all NG program policies I've ever
read.

We need a bunch of angry villagers, all armed with pitchforks and
torches to storm his place, to burn his computer at the stake! ;-)

Works for me...

Natalie

Careful, you guys. Remember, we're in the presence of GREATNESS here!
After all, he's been on Usenet since 1996!

I am honered to be in the presence of the Old Man of the Mountains...

gee willikers...

Er...the Old Man fell off the Mountain. It just couldn't hold up any
longer.

Don't you read the news?

Natalie

Yer kidding, right? I was working in VT at the time.

No, I'm not - are you?

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

sharx35 wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote
"Arfa Daily" wrote
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and
begin searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission
to search. What would be your thoughts on this?

Well in the UK, or the US, it just ain't gonna happen, so what's your
point ? I think we're getting close to the point here of "When the hole
that you're digging gets too deep for you to get out on your own, stop
... "
Arfa

It ain't gonna happen? The U.S. has already found a way to suspend habeas
corpus. You're probably OK with that.

Unlike you LIEbrawls with your dope stashes *I* have nothing to hide.

http://www.limaohio.com/story.php?IDnum=47047j

LIMA — Two robbers who broke into Luther Ricks Sr.’s house this summer may have
not gotten his life savings he had in a safe, but after the FBI confiscated it
he may not get it back.

Ricks has tried to get an attorney to fight for the $402,767 but he has no
money. Lima Police Department officers originally took the money from his house
but the FBI stepped in and took it from the Police Department. Ricks has not
been charged with a crime and was cleared in a fatal shooting of one of the
robbers but still the FBI has refused to return the money, he said.

“They are saying I have to prove I made it,” he said.

The 63-year-old Ricks said he and his wife, Meredith, saved the money during
their lifetime in which both worked while living a modest life.

Graham

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"dbu." wrote:

Habeas Corpus is not suspended, goofy.

It is (in the USA) if THEY decide you're a terrorist. No proof required whatever.

Graham

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

[...]

It has been suspended for citizens living in the 48 mainland states. But,
since you spend your days with a needle in your arm, you don't catch this
sort of news.

Please go kill yourself. Nobody will miss you. Let me know if you need help.

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Here's what you just said:

If your neighbor is murdered, who cares, as long as YOU weren't
murdered?

Huh? What does Internet monitoring have to do with murder?

Careful you don't back cut that limb you're out on...

What I said was, if he's not doing anything to attract attention, and
isn't doing anything he shouldn't then he has nothing to fear.

But he is in fear, so he's either paranoid or has something he want to
do on the Internet that he can't.

The cops come to your house today. They push their ways past you and
begin
searching your house without a warrant. They don't ask permission to
search. What would be your thoughts on this?

That's just a slight bit different.

No, it's not. You're an idiot. Please kill yourself. Let me know if you need
help.

Yeah, I'd have a problem with that.

I don't have a problem with them monitoring me trying to tell you why it's
not a bad thing.

That last sentence needs to be rewritten when you are sober. 2009, maybe?

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No, it's not. You're an idiot. Please kill yourself. Let me know if you need
help.

If you knew what you were talking about you would be long gone,
having fed the worms.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Wickeddoll" wrote in message

"jakdedert" ...
Arfa Daily wrote:
snip

Allow me to explain. This is known as 'toungue in cheek' humour. It is a
*subtle* form of humour, often sparking off of some other situation, or
statement, as in this case. I would guess that most on here 'get it',
but clearly, it is a concept that passes you by ... ( this one is
called 'having a laugh at someone elses expense' in case you don't get
that either, and is intended to be 'witty', not pointed ). :-)

Arfa, this is probably from the Toyota group. I used to post there until
the political posts, most like the one to which you're responding,
started to outnumber the actual 'Toyota' threads. Even the ones which
started out being about cars, often drifted into politics.

It's a shame. I like Toyotas. I dropped out about four or five years
ago, but my Corolla is still going strong after 17 years. I think I've
put about 50k miles on it since alt.autos.toyota and I parted ways. I'm
sure they don't miss me.....

jak

Did you use this nick? I don't remember it.

But yes, the politics have taken over, but as we always say, it's because
we don't have enough problems with our vehicles to compete with the
off-topic posts. I'd rather see a whole lot less rhetoric, but dammit I
like many of the regulars, so I tolerate it. I like conversing with them,
occasionally about politics, even.

:-)

Natalie

That's the trick though, isn't it ? Every now and then, the posts on
s.e.r.get a bit thin, and some OT post will get going amongst the regulars.
It's often political, or at best just taking a nod in the direction of
electronics in general, and will often attract the attention of the po-faced
Usenet police, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as it stays in one
thread, and doesn't get too flame war - y, it's fine. I have had some very
interesting discussions about somewhat off-topic subjects on s.e.r. with
fine intelligent people. This series of posts is a good example of
intelligent people just chatting amongst themselves in one thread, which
does not affect the overall structure or content of the groups it is
appearing in.

I've also had some very heated exchanges - but that's another story ... !! I
can have a wicked, and sometimes very pointed sense of humour that I can't
help directing at some individuals.

As far as you hitting 50 goes ( this year would that be ?? ), it seems to be
a real 'watershed' age from my experience. I never used to forget anything,
but as I passed 50, the dreaded 'short term memory loss' started to creep
in, and I know many people this has happened to. Sometimes, I can't remember
what I was going to say in a conversation, even as it's taking place. My
glasses prescription gets a little more intense every couple of years, and I
find that I can't work at all without them now. But it's not all downhill. I
think that you get less bothered about what others think about you, which
makes for a better life, and also, that your overall respect level amongst
younger people, goes up.

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Arfa Daily" ...

"Wickeddoll" ...

"jakdedert" ...
[...]

Well, unfortunately, the Toyota group has quite a few ****ing contests, but
I can usually tell which threads will erupt, because I know who hates whom,
for the most part. But, *sigh* sometimes a nice post like someone thanking
veterans (like me, USAF 7 years) on Veteran's Day, turns into a politcal
flamefest.

I've also had some very heated exchanges - but that's another story ... !!
I can have a wicked, and sometimes very pointed sense of humour that I
can't help directing at some individuals.

Me too :-) "Humour" huh? - The sign of a Brit or a Canuck hehehe, among
others. I'm watching my "Dangermouse" DVDs at the moment. Love that silly
cartoon. Too bad Terry's dead :-( I want more!

As far as you hitting 50 goes ( this year would that be ?? ), it seems to
be a real 'watershed' age from my experience. I never used to forget
anything, but as I passed 50, the dreaded 'short term memory loss' started
to creep in, and I know many people this has happened to. Sometimes, I
can't remember what I was going to say in a conversation, even as it's
taking place. My glasses prescription gets a little more intense every
couple of years, and I find that I can't work at all without them now. But
it's not all downhill. I think that you get less bothered about what
others think about you, which makes for a better life, and also, that your
overall respect level amongst younger people, goes up.

Arfa

Heh - I'm not afraid of 50. People warned me about 30, but that was the
best landmark birthday of my life (newly married, new baby, finally got my
driver's license - just didn't need one until that time). I'm debating
letting my hair go completely gray, but if I do that, I'll look older than I
am, since most women color their hair into their 60s. Feh. Aging isn't a
sin.

As for 40, I actually had a woman, with very obviously dyed brassy red hair,
and terribly wrinkled skin say to me, "You're only 40?!" (I wasn't dying my
hair yet). I replied, "I guess I look older because most people color their
hair; though, unless you can afford to get plastic surgery too, it looks
even more fake." She wasn't amused, it wasn't very nice of me, but I think
she had it coming. What a thing to say!

No wonder women do stuff like this to themselves (WARNING - NOT FOR THE
MEEK):

http://s195323775.onlinehome.us/page...ildenstein.jpg

This woman was trying to get her filthy rich husband back, and in the
process, ruined her face and hair.

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I've also had some very heated exchanges - but that's another story ... !!
I can have a wicked, and sometimes very pointed sense of humour that I
can't help directing at some individuals.

As far as you hitting 50 goes ( this year would that be ?? ), it seems to
be a real 'watershed' age from my experience.

I hated 30 the most so far (20's was "young", whereas 30 was the beg. of
being middle-aged), although 60 is creeping up & I think I might just hate
that as much as 30. IMO, 40 & 50 weren't too awful because they were still
in the "middle aged" category.

I never used to forget anything,
but as I passed 50, the dreaded 'short term memory loss' started to creep
in, and I know many people this has happened to.

Welcome to the club. Mine - disappearing short-term memory - started at 46.
I have no clue why this seems to be such a big secret; everyone I know who's
~50 & over, incl. myself, has been taken by surprise by its appearance. I
had assumed short-term memory loss wouldn't set in until mid-60's, at the
earliest. Ha.

Sometimes, I can't remember
what I was going to say in a conversation, even as it's taking place.

I often can't pull up the exact word I want; it's in the back of my brain,
but won't come forward - until after the fact, of course. Wind up using a
synonym that doesn't have the right nuance. Annoying. Even though my vocab.
has actually increased over the years, sometimes it feels as though it must
appear that it's decreased.

My
glasses prescription gets a little more intense every couple of years, and
I find that I can't work at all without them now.

This is the one area in which I've found that things may actually -
physically - get *better*. Yes, presbyopia showed up in my 40's, *but* my
myopia improved when I was 50, & it has just improved -again-, at 57! New
lenses - not as strong as the present ones in both eyes - are on order. :-)

But it's not all downhill. I
think that you get less bothered about what others think about you, which
makes for a better life, and also, that your overall respect level amongst
younger people, goes up.

Yes, these may be true. The first most probably, the second maybe.

After a while, one sometimes says (to one's self), "Oh, what the hell... I'm
'x' age & by this point I've earned x, y, or z!" ;-)

Cathy

(I'd liked to have trimmed the x-posting, but don't know which ng you're
posting from, although I don't think it's from aat, since I don't remember
seeing you here before this bit of x-posts fairly recently.)

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Cathy F. wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I never used to forget anything, but as I passed 50, the dreaded 'short
term memory loss' started to creep in, and I know many people this has
happened to.

Welcome to the club. Mine - disappearing short-term memory - started at 46.
I have no clue why this seems to be such a big secret; everyone I know who's
~50 & over, incl. myself, has been taken by surprise by its appearance. I
had assumed short-term memory loss wouldn't set in until mid-60's, at the
earliest. Ha.

I think when we are younger we tend to focus on fewer items of interest
and the things we *are* interested in get a higher degree of attention.

Also, I think as we get older we not only focus more on memory but for
some reason expect more from ourselves while at the same time are
bombarded with new technologies that do things for us. Like speed dial
for instance, and spellcheck.

http://quiz.ivillage.com/health/test...termmemory.htm
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"F.H." ...
Cathy F. wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

I passed that test - guess I'm not too far gone yet.

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:

Well, unfortunately, the Toyota group has quite a few ****ing contests, but
I can usually tell which threads will erupt, because I know who hates whom,
for the most part. But, *sigh* sometimes a nice post like someone thanking
veterans (like me, USAF 7 years) on Veteran's Day, turns into a politcal
flamefest.

I know what you mean. I posted a picture taken at our local
Veteran's park on Memorial Day 2007, and all hell broke loose.

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelat.../DSCF0029a.JPG

I spent two years in the US Army, and worked as a broadcast engineer
for AFRTS, in the early '70s.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Michael A. Terrell" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

Well, unfortunately, the Toyota group has quite a few ****ing contests,
but
I can usually tell which threads will erupt, because I know who hates
whom,
for the most part. But, *sigh* sometimes a nice post like someone
thanking
veterans (like me, USAF 7 years) on Veteran's Day, turns into a politcal
flamefest.

I know what you mean. I posted a picture taken at our local
Veteran's park on Memorial Day 2007, and all hell broke loose.

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelat.../DSCF0029a.JPG

I spent two years in the US Army, and worked as a broadcast engineer
for AFRTS, in the early '70s.

Cool pic!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Haven't joined any veteran's groups yet, but probably will, when hubby
retires from the AF in about 5 years. (he's a lab officer)

Where in Central Florida are you? I'm from Winter Park.

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:

Cool pic!

Thanks. I have several sizes of it, to use as computer wallpaper.

There will be more photos online, when my new website is up and
running.

BTW, we are having our quarterly memorial for Marion County Veterans
who have passed on, in the last 90 days. It will be this Saturday
morning at the Veteran's park. There are about 200 names read, every
quarter.

Haven't joined any veteran's groups yet, but probably will, when hubby
retires from the AF in about 5 years. (he's a lab officer)

Where in Central Florida are you? I'm from Winter Park.

Near Ocala. I used to live in Lake county, and worked a couple jobs
in Orlando and Altamonte Springs over the years. One was at WACX, as an
engineer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Michael A. Terrell" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

Cool pic!

Thanks. I have several sizes of it, to use as computer wallpaper.

There will be more photos online, when my new website is up and
running.

Cool, the sequel.

BTW, we are having our quarterly memorial for Marion County Veterans
who have passed on, in the last 90 days. It will be this Saturday
morning at the Veteran's park. There are about 200 names read, every
quarter.

And you'll have pix? :-)

Haven't joined any veteran's groups yet, but probably will, when hubby
retires from the AF in about 5 years. (he's a lab officer)

Where in Central Florida are you? I'm from Winter Park.

Near Ocala. I used to live in Lake county, and worked a couple jobs
in Orlando and Altamonte Springs over the years. One was at WACX, as an
engineer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

My dad lived in Altamonte for many years. All I remember about Ocala was
that we played against them in softball, and they usually kicked our
arses...

I was actually born in Orlando, but never resided there.

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

Cool pic!

Thanks. I have several sizes of it, to use as computer wallpaper.

There will be more photos online, when my new website is up and
running.

Cool, the sequel.

Here are a couple more from that day:
http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelat...-day-2007.html

I'm still trying to get a decent shot of the Color Guard. Every time
I get a good shot lined up, someone steps in front of me, and blocks
it. I did get a few of Governor Charlie Christ at the park, the day he
declared it as the finest in the State of Florida, and one of the
finest, in all of the US.

Here is a Google Maps link to the location. Zoomed all the way in,
you can make out some details. The park is a triangle, near the corner
of State Hwy. 40, and NE 25th Ave., where most of the county offices are
located. The octagonal roof near the center is the Gazebo where the
ceremonies are performed, and the odd shaped sidewalk is where the Color
Guard marches. You can't see them in the Google sat view, but there are
plaques and memorials scattered around the park, going back to the Civil
War. If you and your husband are ever up this way, you should visit the
park.

BTW, we are having our quarterly memorial for Marion County Veterans
who have passed on, in the last 90 days. It will be this Saturday
morning at the Veteran's park. There are about 200 names read, every
quarter.

And you'll have pix? :-)

I plan on it. I miss some of them, due to my failing health. Some
days I can barely stand, let alone walk.

Haven't joined any veteran's groups yet, but probably will, when hubby
retires from the AF in about 5 years. (he's a lab officer)

Where in Central Florida are you? I'm from Winter Park.

Near Ocala. I used to live in Lake county, and worked a couple jobs
in Orlando and Altamonte Springs over the years. One was at WACX, as an
engineer.

My dad lived in Altamonte for many years. All I remember about Ocala was
that we played against them in softball, and they usually kicked our
arses...

I was actually born in Orlando, but never resided there.

Natalie

I moved to Florida, from the cold north about 20 years ago.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Michael A. Terrell" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

Cool pic!

Thanks. I have several sizes of it, to use as computer wallpaper.

There will be more photos online, when my new website is up and
running.

Cool, the sequel.

Here are a couple more from that day:
http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelat...-day-2007.html

I'm still trying to get a decent shot of the Color Guard. Every time
I get a good shot lined up, someone steps in front of me, and blocks
it. I did get a few of Governor Charlie Christ at the park, the day he
declared it as the finest in the State of Florida, and one of the
finest, in all of the US.

Politicians! Even when they say the *right* thing, it has a sleaze factor.
He's probably right, but coming from a politician... ;-)

Here is a Google Maps link to the location. Zoomed all the way in,
you can make out some details. The park is a triangle, near the corner
of State Hwy. 40, and NE 25th Ave., where most of the county offices are
located. The octagonal roof near the center is the Gazebo where the
ceremonies are performed, and the odd shaped sidewalk is where the Color
Guard marches. You can't see them in the Google sat view, but there are
plaques and memorials scattered around the park, going back to the Civil
War. If you and your husband are ever up this way, you should visit the
park.

Hubby loves historical stuff like that. I'll try to remember to suggest it
the next time we visit my relatives.

BTW, we are having our quarterly memorial for Marion County Veterans
who have passed on, in the last 90 days. It will be this Saturday
morning at the Veteran's park. There are about 200 names read, every
quarter.

And you'll have pix? :-)

I plan on it. I miss some of them, due to my failing health. Some
days I can barely stand, let alone walk.

Oh, bummer! Anything fixable, may I ask?

*snipping for brevity*

I was actually born in Orlando, but never resided there.

Natalie

I moved to Florida, from the cold north about 20 years ago.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

And I want to move back to New Hampshire when hubby retires. Hate Florida's
climate; always have. If my family weren't there, you'd *never* see me in
that place!

Hubby is from Massachusetts, so he can take New England weather or
(preferably) leave it, but I can't imagine him retiring anyplace that the
New England teams weren't at "home".

:-D

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

snip

My dad lived in Altamonte for many years. All I remember about Ocala was
that we played against them in softball, and they usually kicked our
arses...

Now that's interesting. You commented a few posts above about the way that I
spell 'humour', surmising (correctly) that I may be British. Back at ya now.
That's the first time I've ever seen an American spell 'arses' the same as
we do, rather than as a donkey-like animal ... ??

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

Cool pic!

Thanks. I have several sizes of it, to use as computer wallpaper.

There will be more photos online, when my new website is up and
running.

Cool, the sequel.

Here are a couple more from that day:
http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelat...-day-2007.html

I'm still trying to get a decent shot of the Color Guard. Every time
I get a good shot lined up, someone steps in front of me, and blocks
it. I did get a few of Governor Charlie Christ at the park, the day he
declared it as the finest in the State of Florida, and one of the
finest, in all of the US.

Politicians! Even when they say the *right* thing, it has a sleaze factor.
He's probably right, but coming from a politician... ;-)

At least HE showed up. There was supposed to be a letter, and a
Plaque from our Prez when the park was dedicated, but neither arrived.
maybe they needed more notice? We did finish the park in just 10 years,
after all.

Here is a Google Maps link to the location. Zoomed all the way in,
you can make out some details. The park is a triangle, near the corner
of State Hwy. 40, and NE 25th Ave., where most of the county offices are
located. The octagonal roof near the center is the Gazebo where the
ceremonies are performed, and the odd shaped sidewalk is where the Color
Guard marches. You can't see them in the Google sat view, but there are
plaques and memorials scattered around the park, going back to the Civil
War. If you and your husband are ever up this way, you should visit the
park.

Hubby loves historical stuff like that. I'll try to remember to suggest it
the next time we visit my relatives.

It's worth the visit, but make sure you wear comfortable shoes,
because it takes a couple hours to see everything.

BTW, we are having our quarterly memorial for Marion County Veterans
who have passed on, in the last 90 days. It will be this Saturday
morning at the Veteran's park. There are about 200 names read, every
quarter.

And you'll have pix? :-)

I plan on it. I miss some of them, due to my failing health. Some
days I can barely stand, let alone walk.

Oh, bummer! Anything fixable, may I ask?

Well, the VA awarded me 100% disability two weeks after I applied.

*snipping for brevity*

I was actually born in Orlando, but never resided there.

Natalie

I moved to Florida, from the cold north about 20 years ago.

And I want to move back to New Hampshire when hubby retires. Hate Florida's
climate; always have. If my family weren't there, you'd *never* see me in
that place!

Hubby is from Massachusetts, so he can take New England weather or
(preferably) leave it, but I can't imagine him retiring anyplace that the
New England teams weren't at "home".

:-D

Natalie

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Arfa Daily" ...
snip

My dad lived in Altamonte for many years. All I remember about Ocala was
that we played against them in softball, and they usually kicked our
arses...

Now that's interesting. You commented a few posts above about the way that
I spell 'humour', surmising (correctly) that I may be British. Back at ya
now. That's the first time I've ever seen an American spell 'arses' the
same as we do, rather than as a donkey-like animal ... ??

Arfa

You found me out!

I'm a shameless Anglophile. In fact, at this moment I'm watching
Dangermouse DVDs.

:-)

Natalie, hoping hubby's next base is in England

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"msg" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
snip

My dad lived in Altamonte for many years. All I remember about Ocala was
that we played against them in softball, and they usually kicked our
arses...

Now that's interesting. You commented a few posts above about the way
that I spell 'humour', surmising (correctly) that I may be British. Back
at ya now. That's the first time I've ever seen an American spell 'arses'
the same as we do, rather than as a donkey-like animal ... ??

Until this year, I had never seen or heard the term 'arse'; yet I see a
number
of N.G. posts from residents of the southern US which include the term.
Most
Canadians seem to say 'ass', however some made-in-the-UK movies for
worldwide
distribution don't use 'arse', instead substitution 'ass' in the dialog.
Go figure. BTW, how could anyone reasonably say "barse arkwards"?

Regards,

How old are you?

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Michael A. Terrell"...
Wickeddoll wrote:

*snipping for brevity*

Here are a couple more from that day:
http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelat...-day-2007.html

I'm still trying to get a decent shot of the Color Guard. Every time
I get a good shot lined up, someone steps in front of me, and blocks
it. I did get a few of Governor Charlie Christ at the park, the day he
declared it as the finest in the State of Florida, and one of the
finest, in all of the US.

Politicians! Even when they say the *right* thing, it has a sleaze
factor.
He's probably right, but coming from a politician... ;-)

At least HE showed up. There was supposed to be a letter, and a
Plaque from our Prez when the park was dedicated, but neither arrived.
maybe they needed more notice? We did finish the park in just 10 years,
after all.

LOL Maybe the next president will do it...

*snip*

If you and your husband are ever up this way, you should visit the
park.

Hubby loves historical stuff like that. I'll try to remember to suggest
it
the next time we visit my relatives.

It's worth the visit, but make sure you wear comfortable shoes,
because it takes a couple hours to see everything.

Like the Biltmore mansion.

BTW, we are having our quarterly memorial for Marion County
Veterans
who have passed on, in the last 90 days. It will be this Saturday
morning at the Veteran's park. There are about 200 names read,
every
quarter.

And you'll have pix? :-)

I plan on it. I miss some of them, due to my failing health. Some
days I can barely stand, let alone walk.

Oh, bummer! Anything fixable, may I ask?

Well, the VA awarded me 100% disability two weeks after I applied.

:-( That makes it even more remarkable that you're doing so much, though.

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"msg" ...
Arfa Daily wrote:
snip

[...]

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a year
ago!

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota
msg msg is offline

msg wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

Now that's interesting. You commented a few posts above about the way
that I spell 'humour', surmising (correctly) that I may be British.
Back at ya now. That's the first time I've ever seen an American spell
'arses' the same as we do, rather than as a donkey-like animal ... ??

Until this year, I had never seen or heard the term 'arse'; yet I see a
number of N.G. posts from residents of the southern US which include
the term. Most Canadians seem to say 'ass', however some made-in-the-UK
movies for worldwide distribution don't use 'arse', instead substitution
'ass' in the dialog.

Sorry for the typo: s/substitution/substitute/

snip
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota
msg msg is offline

Wickeddoll wrote:

"msg" ...

snip

Until this year, I had never seen or heard the term 'arse'; yet I see a
number of N.G. posts from residents of the southern US which include the term.
Most Canadians seem to say 'ass', however some made-in-the-UK movies for
worldwide distribution don't use 'arse', instead substitution 'ass' in the dialog.
Go figure. BTW, how could anyone reasonably say "barse arkwards"?

snip

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a year
ago!

I confined my Usenet participation to comp.* and parts of sci.* since when I
had a UUCP feed; I guess most posters in those groups were not inclined to
use the term even if from the U.K.

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota
msg msg is offline

Wickeddoll wrote:

snip

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a year
ago!

I should also mention never having seen/heard the term '******' until
the Sylvester McCoy Dr. Who episodes ;-) (For me and many in the U.S.,
Tom Baker is the _only_ Dr. Who).

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"msg" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

snip

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a
year ago!

I should also mention never having seen/heard the term '******' until
the Sylvester McCoy Dr. Who episodes ;-) (For me and many in the U.S.,
Tom Baker is the _only_ Dr. Who).

Regards,

Michael

I tried *so* hard to get into Dr. Who, but alas, no.

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Wickeddoll wrote:

"msg" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

snip

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a
year ago!

I should also mention never having seen/heard the term '******' until
the Sylvester McCoy Dr. Who episodes ;-) (For me and many in the U.S.,
Tom Baker is the _only_ Dr. Who).

Regards,

Michael

I tried *so* hard to get into Dr. Who, but alas, no.

Natalie

How about Red Dwarf? I just got some (on VHS tapes) on Freecycle. I
won't know how many episodes, till I pick them up.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Michael A. Terrell" ...
"msg" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

snip

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a
year ago!

I should also mention never having seen/heard the term '******' until
the Sylvester McCoy Dr. Who episodes ;-) (For me and many in the U.S.,
Tom Baker is the _only_ Dr. Who).

Regards,

Michael

I tried *so* hard to get into Dr. Who, but alas, no.

Natalie

How about Red Dwarf? I just got some (on VHS tapes) on Freecycle. I
won't know how many episodes, till I pick them up.

LOVE that show! I don't have it on video, though. I do have the complete
collections of Blackadder and Monty Python

Natalie

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Wickeddoll" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" ...
snip

My dad lived in Altamonte for many years. All I remember about Ocala
was that we played against them in softball, and they usually kicked our
arses...

Now that's interesting. You commented a few posts above about the way
that I spell 'humour', surmising (correctly) that I may be British. Back
at ya now. That's the first time I've ever seen an American spell 'arses'
the same as we do, rather than as a donkey-like animal ... ??

Arfa

You found me out!

I'm a shameless Anglophile. In fact, at this moment I'm watching
Dangermouse DVDs.

:-)

Natalie, hoping hubby's next base is in England

Well, that would be nice, especially if you like New England weather and
scenery. Have you visited here before ? I would guess that the liklihood of
a posting here has diminished considerably in recent years, as a number of
the Anglo - American bases have either closed down or been mothballed since
the 'end (??)' of the cold war. To the east of where I live right in the
centre, all the way across to the coast, it is very flat fenland, so good
for runways. I guess that this, coupled with the proximity to the european
mainland, is why all of the bases grew up there in the first place during WW
II, and carried on into peacetime, and then grew further as defensive bases
run largely by your good ol' boys. Do you still have any bomber forces or
whatever permanently located here ? I'm not too sure about that, to be
honest. I used to see practice flights come across my county all the time,
fighters as well, but don't seem to any more.

Dangermouse eh ? I used to watch that many many years ago. Have you ever
come across a UK tv programme called 'Minder' ? If not, there are plenty of
clips on You Tube. It's where my nic comes from, being a deliberate
corruption of the name of one of the two main characters. For no other
reason, I might add, than that I always loved the part he played. It was
representative of gentler times ...

Arfa

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"msg" wrote in message
Wickeddoll wrote:

snip

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a
year ago!

I should also mention never having seen/heard the term '******' until
the Sylvester McCoy Dr. Who episodes ;-) (For me and many in the U.S.,
Tom Baker is the _only_ Dr. Who).

Regards,

Michael

Are you sure about that ? I have watched Doctor Who since the very first
episode, and I can't remember any Doctor ever using any language that was in
any way inappropriate for children. The BBC, and British broadcasting in
general, has always been fiercely protective in that way, sticking rigidly
to the 8pm watershed. Doctor Who has always been shown before that time.
Sylvester McCoy goes back what ? 20 years now ? British television was a
much gentler place back then than it is now, and very little swearing or
inappropriate language at all was tolerated, let alone during a programme
made primarily for children.

Have you seen any recent series of the programme ? Tom Baker was indeed the
Doctor of choice for many, and of the 'old' Doctors, was certainly my
favourite, if only because he had a 'looney' edge to him, and ate jelly
babies, but since the programme was resurrected a few years back, there have
been a couple of excellent Doctors and assistants. The current Doctor (David
Tennant) is absolutely superb in the part. He brings exactly the right level
of eccentricity and humour to it, and manages to play it, much like Tom
Baker did, with enough seriousness to make it a valid role, tempered by just
a little 'hamminess' to keep it light. I have always thought that the BBC
have managed to cast this series well for Doctors over the years, and
thought that when they did bring it back after a gap of many years, that
they would struggle to keep it fresh, but it has surpassed all of my
expectations in this respect. If you have not seen the current Doctor, go
take a look at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episo...07/index.shtml

Do you have a reference for the episode that you felt contained the word
"******" ? I would be interested to follow up on that.

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Wickeddoll wrote:

"msg" ...
Wickeddoll wrote:

snip

I've seen British expressions such as "arse" and "f*ckwit" since going
online in the early 90s. I'm surprised you hadn't seen them before a
year ago!

I should also mention never having seen/heard the term '******' until
the Sylvester McCoy Dr. Who episodes ;-) (For me and many in the U.S.,
Tom Baker is the _only_ Dr. Who).

Regards,

Michael

I tried *so* hard to get into Dr. Who, but alas, no.

Natalie

How about Red Dwarf? I just got some (on VHS tapes) on Freecycle. I
won't know how many episodes, till I pick them up.

Yes, that's another good one of specialist taste. The main character (Craig
Charles - Lister in the series -) now plays a leading part in a soap that
has been very big here for 40 years. Before that, he presented "Robot Wars"
where teams build robot warriors that fight each other, and the house
robots, in a battle arena. Another (Robert Llewellyn - Kryten in the
series -) presents "Scrapheap Challenge" which is like your "Junkyard Wars"
(is it ?? )

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

Arfa Daily wrote:

The main character (Craig Charles - Lister in the series -) now plays a
leading part in a soap that
has been very big here for 40 years.

Good Lord ! I didn't know that until you posted this and I looked him up on
Wikipedai. What a come-down.

Graham

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

The main character (Craig Charles - Lister in the series -) now plays a
leading part in a soap that
has been very big here for 40 years.

Good Lord ! I didn't know that until you posted this and I looked him up
on
Wikipedai. What a come-down.

Graham

Well, we all have to eat. He is just a TV actor - nothing really special. Do
you believe that having a major long standing part in a mainstream TV soap
as opposed to playing the lead in a series that was at best a little odd and
specialist - hence the reason that it was on BBC2 - or presenting a show on
Channel 4 that was only of interest to mechanical nerds who liked destroying
things, is actually a come down ? I think if I were him, and I had a regular
part on a much loved and respected programme with prime time exposure over 5
episodes a week, even if it is a soap, I would be quite pleased ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota
msg msg is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:

"msg" wrote in message

Wickeddoll wrote:

snip

[...]

It was in at least one episode and involved Ace and some 'punks' she
knew; sorry I don't have more details. I watched those episodes with
less than rapt interest as I felt the series was departing from
the style that I enjoyed in the Tom Baker (and less so in the Peter
Davison and Colin Baker) years. I felt that the McCoy years adopted
a harsher mid-80's edginess (to appeal to youth culture?).

Regards,

Michael

Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota
msg msg is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

Have you seen any recent series of the programme ?

snip

The current Doctor (David Tennant) is absolutely superb in the part.
He brings exactly the right level of eccentricity and humour to it,
and manages to play it, much like Tom Baker did, with enough
seriousness to make it a valid role, tempered by just
a little 'hamminess' to keep it light.

snip

Indeed, from what little I have read online, I would enjoy seeing
the new shows; do you have any idea how to do so in the U.S. at present?
FWIW, I found the Hartnell shows (I doubt that here we saw all of
those that exist) showcased 1960's high tech and interesting locations
that otherwise may have been lost to visual documentation. I wonder
if they are available in some medium now.

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.toyota

"msg" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

Have you seen any recent series of the programme ?

snip

The current Doctor (David Tennant) is absolutely superb in the part.
He brings exactly the right level of eccentricity and humour to it,
and manages to play it, much like Tom Baker did, with enough
seriousness to make it a valid role, tempered by just
a little 'hamminess' to keep it light.

snip

Indeed, from what little I have read online, I would enjoy seeing
the new shows; do you have any idea how to do so in the U.S. at present?
FWIW, I found the Hartnell shows (I doubt that here we saw all of
those that exist) showcased 1960's high tech and interesting locations
that otherwise may have been lost to visual documentation. I wonder
if they are available in some medium now.

Regards,

Michael

There are plenty of clips on YouTube, and you could also look on the BBC
website. All programmes that they broadcast are available for download for
up to 7 days after transmission, but it does say to "UK license holders", so
I'm not sure how that works, unless you have to register with a name and
address that has a current license attached to it. There was a Christmas
special that I'm sure you could find if you Googled for it, and the new
series starts in a few weeks, I think.

Arfa